THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

We use large food service bags, tied in a knot. We get them from the kansas city BBQ store. We used to use the 2xl ziplock bags, but the ones from the KC BBQ store are a LOT cheaper.

Been thinking about getting one of these ever since I saw Spice's post on the vac sealer he bought himself Christmas before last. Iv'e looked at the one you posted from Cabela's online a few times and the "refurbished" part has me a bit concerned....any insights?

Mine has performed like a champ so far. Our schedules are so demanding at times that it's a lifesaver. We can fit a casserole dish in and seal it up for later use. We've used ours a couple of times a week on average, and sometimes more often without a problem.

You can buy them new as well and it's a great unit. I think it comes down to what your needs are, and how often you will use it. For anything that has a bone in it I still pull out the Foodsaver bags, but other than that we need to be packing up a lot of food to pull out the retired Foodsavers we have in the pantry.

My .02

Mine has performed like a champ so far. Our schedules are so demanding at times that it's a lifesaver. We can fit a casserole dish in and seal it up for later use. We've used ours a couple of times a week on average, and sometimes more often without a problem.

You can buy them new as well and it's a great unit. I think it comes down to what your needs are, and how often you will use it. For anything that has a bone in it I still pull out the Foodsaver bags, but other than that we need to be packing up a lot of food to pull out the retired Foodsavers we have in the pantry.

My .02

Thanks for the info.

You can get a polycarbonate brine box from Sam's Club with lids that fit fairly tightly. I like to use them for both raw meat storage and keeping injected meat safely contained. Cooler water usually is no problem because it has to be about six inches deep before there is any danger of getting in the box. Just make sure the size you buy will fit in your cooler.

My butcher will usually throw in a few extra large bags and buthcer paper. If not I will use a smaller platic bin from Target or Lowes. I use to use ice bags, but will switch to the frozen gallon of water, great idea!

-Frank

Back