trailer weight distribution

bluzieq

Full Fledged Farker
I have seen smokers on one side of trailers and storage on other. Got my lang 36 in and putting on trailer. My trailer is a T.S. 4*6 .I want the barbecube on front left edge. Abt 350 lbs.then the lang on same side behind it.abt 650 lbs.I wanted both on one side for ease of use. But.... my trailer will lean about an inch and a half on that side. I could spin the lang around to the back with firebox on right side. Just have to walk around trailer a little. The cube is mounted already but lang is not. Its just on a shortened stand btw not on the cart. Could I add weight to other side? How much? Or just put the lang on back with heavy firebox on oppisite side as the cube? I will get pictures later,right now I'm even confusing myself. But I have seen smokers on one side.Help!!

I believe your trailer has a capicity of 1750 LBs . The cookers total !k so you have another 750Lbs you can add. Were both cookers on one side and 750 LBs on the other,I don't think that would be a problem. Other factors to be considered is center of gravity as controlled by height of weight distrubition and tongue weight as controled by weight front to rear. At 1750 + 250 for trailer = 2k LBs X 20% = 400 LBs max tongue weight. The minium would be about 200 LBS. You can adjust TW by moving axle or weight. I like max tongue weight in case a fat boy steps onto rear while trailer is not on a hitch plus it tows better.

Well, you could offset the weight by putting a double propane fryer/boiler station and a kegarator on the other side! Just thinking out loud here...

60-40

Place axle where 60% of the weight is ahead of axle. Also if you put a wood box out on front you can add wood to adjust tonge weight for towing

Place axle where 60% of the weight is ahead of axle. Also if you put a wood box out on front you can add wood to adjust tonge weight for towing

I sell trailers for a living and am also certified to build and repair. This is the most important advice when it comes to towing a trailer. Obviously, the trailer will be easier to handle if it is well balanced also sideways, but it can be a bit heavier on one side. How much you can load on the sides also depends on the height of the trailer and the wheel size. if the loading height is high, the trailer will be more woulnerable to heavy loads on one of the sides than if the loading height is low. In Europe, small tires are common to make the trailer as low as possible. 10, 12 and 13 inch are most common.

Good luck with the build - hope to see some photos.

Shanaynay is 1980lbs loaded, tongue is 300lbs. She pulls great. I too have the lean issue but once it's full of wood and propane then it's fine. I would say load it up and see how it sits. If it still leans the measure the fender height difference and add the difference to the length of the shackle on the short side. As long as it's not more than 2". You can add a heavier spring for pretty cheap.

A case of bottled beer weighs approximately 31 pounds. Adjust from there.

Back