Trailer pit build questions + Illustration

Oh yeah, here's the new illustration. Basically back to a regular offset smoker. What you guys think? Also does anyone with a pit this size (120gal) get temps in the 300's? Really wanna know. Do you have to have a huge farking fire to do it or is it just done by a couple air-flow adjustments on the firebox & exhaust?

Cheers

Attachments

• screen-capture-222.jpg
    screen-capture-222.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 50
Oh yeah, here's the new illustration. Basically back to a regular offset smoker. What you guys think? Also does anyone with a pit this size (120gal) get temps in the 300's? Really wanna know. Do you have to have a huge farking fire to do it or is it just done by a couple air-flow adjustments on the firebox & exhaust?

Cheers
Check our Funks videos. His Brazos is huge and he pushes 300. PM him, I'm sure he will have a lot to say. :becky:

You might consider the location of your warming box.
It seems on most offsets they are front mounted to allow the draft to heat the chamber and most reverse flows mounted on the back.
As is it seems you have direct grill heat going on and may be hard to regulate temps.
I would take a look at klose pits and gator pits for design ideas for regular offset.
And or the lang pits for reverse flow idea.
By moving the warming box upfront you create a flat area for a pre log warming area.
This is a nice thing.:-D
You asked about fire sizes. After heating the pit to temp you will want to maintain a nice coal bed and feed it a split about every hour, maybe more if you want a higher temp. It really depends on what temp you like smoking at. Using lump is great if it is available and cost effective.(Locally 75 lbs would run 30.00) You will want to learn to use all wood as you go along if it is available. Plan on place to store a cord that will be dry and out of the weather. You may inherit some wood after a big storm.
What types of wood are available locally for you to use?
Make sure to take pics as your build starts.

jon

You might consider the location of your warming box.

If you want a warming box that gets no smoke, then I would leave it where it is. If you want a warming box that gets smoke, then you need to move it to the other end of the pit.

The unknown issue is what temperature you will see in the warming box in it's current location.

I would build it like it is. If you find that it is too hot, then add an adjustable intake and exhaust on it. That way you can draw in cool ambient air and exhaust the heat.

Back