Trailer Insurance?

Blanton

is Blowin Smoke!
Do any of you with trailers insure your trailer only with someone. Geico has my home and cars, but don't do cargo/conversion trailers, and other brokers called will only write the trailer if they get all of your policies. Kind of stuck but I'm sure someone out there will.

I didn’t have that problem since I was going thru my current insurance company anyhow. My issue was that on my trailer I had a four burner set up mimicking a house stove that was custom built, and all the parts that mattered were store bought so I didn’t physically make a burner just the structure holding it, but since it wasn’t UL listed they would not insure it with it on there, so I removed it for their inspection and they were happy, and it was bolted back on the same day. We latter changed to Farmers and they never even looked at the trailer just wrote the policy.

Allstate writes mine. For many, coverage for the contents of the trailer is equally as important as the trailer itself. Most cargo trailer accidents fall in one of two categories: A) Not worth filing a claim or B) The unit is completely destroyed.

Ask yourself how much it would cost you to replace your smoker and all the other equipment you carry if your trailer broke loose and cartwheeled down the freeway at 60 mph. You'll might need a special rider to extend the contents coverage.

I have 2 trailers, and they are both insured. For my trailers, it's very cheap to add them to the auto policy (MetLife).

If you *don't* insure your trailer, it inherits the liability covered from the tow vehicle, but NOT collision coverage. Any damage to your trailer or it's contents is not covered.

If Geico is unwilling to cover your trailer, it's time to switch policies.

Liberty mutual here. 28 bucks a year. At that price it wasn't worth "shopping around". Quick phone call with the VIN number and I was set.

fyi I don't think liberty advertised RV insurance, but they had no hesitations insuring our camper either. Nice having Home/auto/toys on one bill.

I have State Farm. I also had to get a VIN through the sate because it was not built with one. That was a PIA getting the VIN.

Just about any insurance company will have some sort of trailer coverage. Progressive would be my first call

I think I have insurance squared away. Lesson learned - don't use the term "RV" when describing what is really a cargo trailer!

State Farm would not cover my utility trailer with Backwoods mounted on it. They said it could catch on fire :shock: :sad:

Back