THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

jestridge, just a friendly suggestion but be careful with your quotes. Lightening does stange things for some unknown reason. Oh, I still don't think this thread is about stick burners...maybe I'm wrong but just thinking.
Back on topic, only seen a couple of models of each unit around here. My concern was the thickness of the metal allowing too much heat loss. From the brethren up north, it doesn't seem to be a huge issue. A blanket of some sort sounds like a big plus. Good info bros.

Hey SHu,

I own three Traegers. I use 3-5 for competitions with a WSM as well. We have won many awards using our traegers.

They will not get low enough for Jerky but I have not had any problem with any thing else.

I also use them constantly up here. In the cold winters we have it doesn't seem to be a problem. They will go through more pellets though thats for sure. You can always use a welders blanket. I cant be bothered.

I like the convenience and the consistentcy I get from them. I also am a big fan of the color I get off of the meat when I use them. I have stick burners as well as others to play with but I rely on my traegers prbably 80% or so of the time. The smoke is lighter.

My favorite units are the 150 and the Junior. ALthough I will say I love my Lil tex too.

I will admit I am corporately sponsored by Traeger but I was using them well before the sponsorship came into effect. If you have any questions shoot me an email.

Great info on this grill, can you smoke for a while and just leave set to cook with no smoke just heat?

Great info on this grill, can you smoke for a while and just leave set to cook with no smoke just heat?

no pellets is it's only source for heat, at high temps, you won't see much smoke. the electric is only for the computer, auger, and for the first couple minutes for a glow plug.

I cooked my first brisket on my Traeger this weekend. All I have to say about it is, moist, moist and moist! It was SO tender and flavorful. A five pound flat was devoured!

maybe when it's colder out.
at 225, I am closer to 1/2 or 3/4 pound per hour, while around 55 and up ambient.

If your question or concern is about pellet costs per cook, definitely look into ordering pellets in bulk. Even after shipping they will come out much cheaper than buying retail. I recently split 1000 pounds of BBQr's Delight pellets with a couple of my buddies, and it ended up costing us around 40 or 42 cents per pound. These pellets are much more flavorful then the retail Traeger pellets I was buying.

Ron

Sounds good Ron. I was told by a sales rep that using any other pellets would void the warranty. They wouldn't say other pellets would NOT work in the traeger though,just that it would void the warranty. I am leaning heavily towards one of these puppies. If I hadn't just bought that COS, I think I would pull the trigger on the Texas 075.....still might.:p

Traeger pellets are CRAP. Yes, they have threatened to void warranties, but I'd like to see them tell me what pellets I've been using. BBQr's Delight are the best pellets I've used. The Traeger pellets produce a lot of ash and use flavored "oils" instead of flavored wood.

I own a Traeger 075, a Louisana Grill, two FEC-100's and soon to be an FEC-500. Also getting a new Cookshack pellet fired Charbroiler this coming weekend. I have four BGE's and two kettles. I've cooked on the new Fast Eddy grill. As for stick burners, I've cooked on Good Ones, Kingfishers and Banderas.

I've spent my time at the racks of pellet cookers, charcoal pits, and stick burners. The Traeger quality has gone down hill since they move production off to China. Since their patents have run out, my theory is that they've pushed production off shore as a strategic move for more competitive pricing once Green Mountain, Fast Eddy, Louisiana Grills and others to come start taking market share. Already, Louisiana Grills and Green Mountain give you more cooking space for your money. Fast Eddy's grill is a not only a great design for what it is, but is built 100 times better. You get your money's worth with the FE grill.

Unlike "purists", I'm not going to define BBQ for anyone. Sticks, charcoal, or pellets... if it works for you... it works for me.

Todd, so if you were going to buy your first unit, mostly backyard but also take to a small comp, what would be your recommendation?

Todd, so if you were going to buy your first unit, mostly backyard but also take to a small comp, what would be your recommendation?

In competition, I cooked the first half of 2007 with my Traeger 075 and a stainless steel rib rack. I also cooked A LOT on that grill at home for the first two years I owned it. I looked at a brand new version of the same grill and the hopper seems smaller and the door wouldn't seal shut.

There was a guy here in Overland Park, KS that has a brand new Fast Eddy grill for roughly $1500. Compared to a $1200 Traeger, that is a GREAT deal. You get a double walled hood and a direct grilling surface that you can seer a steak on at probably 1000+ degrees. You can't get that with a Traeger.

For under a thousand, a Country Smoker 680 can get up to 750 degrees or smoke low and slow. Bobby at KCK.com will give you a deal on one if you drop my name.

Todd, There used to be a thread about doing different mods to the bandera. One of the mods was to seal the door with some sort of a gasket, if I remember right. Would putting a gasket on the door of the Traeger make any type of a difference on how it would cook? If so, I will have to do a search and try to find out what type of material that was used.

Todd, There used to be a thread about doing different mods to the bandera. One of the mods was to seal the door with some sort of a gasket, if I remember right. Would putting a gasket on the door of the Traeger make any type of a difference on how it would cook? If so, I will have to do a search and try to find out what type of material that was used.

I don't have a problem with my 075 sealing. All of the new models I've see don't seal.

2 FEC-100's and a Country Smoker Tailgater

Here is the recipe for success...:-D

plowboy%20gc.jpg

Nice.

I assume you are using the tailgater for Chicken?

What is an FEC500 running these days?

Pete

Chicken is done on the Tailgater and the FEC-100. Started doing a smoke and grill method for the first time at the Royal. I changed our chicken and brisket process at the Invitational. Something I'd never normally do. :roll:

$16k for the stainless on a trailer.

WoW! That has to be the GRAND DADDY of ALL pellet machines, I think!!! That is a pellet machine isn't it?

100% pellets

Back