Traditional Christmas Meal?

We have several "unique" traditions...on Christmas eve...it's normally
boudin,and fresh italian sausage from Nick's Grocery in Pt. Arthur Tx...we also smoke a wild hog hind quarter, along with a brisket and serve slices of the meat and sausage along with lots of dips, queso's and Tamale's ........On christmas day it's ussually the brisket , butt, or this year we decided to give Poobah's prime rib a try......

Chicken kiev - wild rice - scalped corn -fresh bread - pulled cake with fruit - wine - set to candles and soft music. Christ birth is read to put the reason for the season back in perspective.

Pulled cake with fruit???? 'splain please.

Gotta have HAM!!!.whats Christmas without HAM!?!? :eek:

But thats just MY preference ..:-D..one year we had a standing rib roast my bro-in-law made...YUMMO!

Christmas Eve at my grandparents was always oyster stew.

Oyster stew at Parent's home.
Lutefisk at Grandma's.

Yep, oyster stew and chili at Grandma's.

I thought we had the only goofy family that did that. Christmas Eve was oyster stew at my mom and dad's (Dad made the oysters). Christmas day then would be lutefisk, lefse, rommegrot, ham, all kinds of good old Norwegian fare at grandma's and "pot-luck" at the other grandma's (but there was always suet pudding there!!)
Trying to get Q part of the tradition now!

Chitterlings:shock:

Cannot stomach the damn things! Somehow they seem to make it to the table except this year, I am the head cook and it ain't making the table.

We are doing ribs, chix, pulled pork, garlic mashed tater, greens, mac and cheese and whateverelse I can think of doing but no damn chitterlings:lol:

I thought we had the only goofy family that did that. Christmas Eve was oyster stew at my mom and dad's (Dad made the oysters). Christmas day then would be lutefisk, lefse, rommegrot, ham, all kinds of good old Norwegian fare at grandma's and "pot-luck" at the other grandma's (but there was always suet pudding there!!)
Trying to get Q part of the tradition now!

I didn't realize how much oyster stew was an upper midwest tradition. Ironic since we didn't have many oysters growing in Iowa. :rolleyes:

Lefse rocks. Lutefisk... not so much. No Norwegian heritage in my family, but visited the family of one of my best friends in college. Got to try the traditional fare.

...Lefse rocks. Lutefisk... not so much.
The fish is an aquired taste, that's for sure. Good (and I mean quality, properly prepared) lutefisk is acually pretty good.

Someday, if you get a chance, try some rommegrot. Pretty tough to find someone who knows how to make it, but it is soooooo gooooood!!

Oh, and riced potatoes too. MMmmmMMmmmm

Our has always been pretty much the same as Thanksgiving.

Turkey and/or Ham
Cornbread dressing & gravy
Sweet Potato Casserole
copper pennies
tater salad
broccoli salad
rice and gravy or salsa rice

I have started slipping in a brisket though...

Picked up a 13 lb prime rib for Christmas dinner. It will be my first prime rib. I can't wait.

The fish is an aquired taste, that's for sure. Good (and I mean quality, properly prepared) lutefisk is acually pretty good.

Someday, if you get a chance, try some rommegrot. Pretty tough to find someone who knows how to make it, but it is soooooo gooooood!!

Oh, and riced potatoes too. MMmmmMMmmmm

It[rommegrot] is a sort of pudding without eggs, right? My granny did something like this, I think. Cooked real slow on the stove, milk, flour, sugar, Cinnamon? Don't remember what else, but do remember that it was good.

We usually do the same kind of menu as Thanksgiving. This year I am mixing it up and doing a prime rib ala poobah with twice baked potatoes and a salad. Why am I doing this you may ask... 'cause I am the selfish cook and it is what I want!!!

We usually do the same kind of menu as Thanksgiving. This year I am mixing it up and doing a prime rib ala poobah with twice baked potatoes and a salad. Why am I doing this you may ask... 'cause I am the selfish cook and it is what I want!!!
I am doing twice baked potatoes for my snowmobile clun christmas party, i have never cooked them before, any tips?

Here is an explanation from Wikipedia:

Italians around the world celebrate Christmas Eve with a Feast of the Seven Fishes, also known as La Vigilia.
It is a meal that consists of, typically, seven different seafood dishes. Some Italian families have been known to celebrate with 9, 11 or 13 different seafood dishes. This celebration is a commemoration of the wait, Vigilia di Natale, for the midnight birth of the baby Jesus.
There are many hypotheses for what the number "7" relates to, one being the number of Sacraments in the Catholic Church.
In 2004 writer Robert Tinnell launched a webcomic, a romantic comedy set against the background of the traditional feast as observed in 1983. Within months the comic became very popular, eventually resulting in a printed compilation. That book, Feast of the Seven Fishes, the Complete Comic Strip and Italian Holiday Cookbook, garnered a 2006 nomination for Best Graphic Album – Reprint. The book is now in its second printing and scheduled to be adapted as a film in January 2008.
The components to the meal are similar for most families as there are always some seven combinations of: anchovies, sardines, dried salt cod, smelts, eels, squid, octopus, shrimp, mussels, oysters, and clams. In the mix are pastas, vegetables, baked or fried kale patties, baked goods, and the pride-filled homemade wine.

Tradition in my family has been that my wife and I host Christmas Eve and Day. Christmas Eve is usually a different set of food every year. We had the Feast of the 7 fishes one year. This year we are going meatless in honor of my FIL side of the family. Christmas Day we always have Prime Rib.

It[rommegrot] is a sort of pudding without eggs, right? My granny did something like this, I think. Cooked real slow on the stove, milk, flour, sugar, Cinnamon?
Rommegrot (translated to English is "cream mush") is heavy cream and flour cooked very very very slowly until it is the consistency of a pudding. It is served warm with a little melted butter over the top and sprinkled with cinnamon/sugar.

Heavy cream is hard to find these days, and my gramma could make it with just butter and flour. Not as good, but still divine.

We do Omaha Steaks at my aunt's house. I cook of course.

One year I brought a couple racks of ribs, but my wife would prefer that I actually spend Christmas with the family, not the smoker.:roll:

Ever since I was old enough to remember it has and still is Ham......My Mom and Dad made everything from scrach---bisicuts , the works....Since my Dad passed I have carved the ham. Our family rounds out at at 23 people and everyone now brings a side dish. The one thing that is different is the neices and nephews are all buying houses now and argue over hows having the next gettogether at their place. And they all have a bottle of jack for Uncle Roger because he does most of the cooking....

we have always had a turkey and ham dinner for Christmas, but this year, my mom comes over with a 9# pork loin and a 6 3/4# brisket and asks me to cook Christmas dinner for the entire family. (excluding sides) so we're mixin' it up this year, kinda nervous and excited. never cooked a brisket, and never cooked a pork loin so big. i've been doing some research on here, so hopefully they'll turn out o.k. wish me luck!:razz:

Back