Tow Vehicle

How many contests do you plan on cooking? I have seen lots of guys buy pick-ups, vans, trailers and even RV's for the sole purpose of contest cooking. Unless you are going to cook 25 contests a year all over the country, I just don't get it.

We did 16 contests last year, but I would have to run across one hell of a deal to consider buying a vehicle specifically for BBQ. We pull our cooker and haul everything we need in the back of my F150 or in Chris's 3/4 ton Silverado.

I have always been more of an offset cooker, sleep in your tent on a chair kind of guy - so maybe that's why getting a vehicle to sleep in hasn't ever been much of a priority to me. The more we cook, the more we have reduced what we bring to a contest. Having a vehicle or trailor just for BBQ would be just another excuse for me to bring a bunch a garbage I don't need and take our focus away from cooking. But that's just me, I guess.

Neal-
I agree with you, I would never buy a vehicle just for BBQ. We plan on doing 10-12 events this year. The van just sounds practicle because I can use it for both work and play. And you can find good used work vans for a very good price right now....guess alot of these small business are off loading them.

F 350 PowerStroke with aftermarket computer is the way to go! I can tow a 25ft trailure at 10,000lbs and get 15 mpg..

Neal-
I agree with you, I would never buy a vehicle just for BBQ. We plan on doing 10-12 events this year. The van just sounds practicle because I can use it for both work and play. And you can find good used work vans for a very good price right now....guess alot of these small business are off loading them.

Sounds reasonable, if you can find the right vehicle at the right price.

Check Green Country in Collinsville, he always has some nice fleet vans...

If a 3/4 ton truck with a shell would work, Triplex has been selling a bunch off since Ed died...

I've got an '06 Dodge 2500 Diesel, Quad Cab, 6spd, 4x4, 440hp.
Don't even notice my trailer is back there.
I love my truck 8)

Well I feel like a toad. If it wasn't for the KCBS I wouldn't have a 3/4 ton Ram nor a 24 foot enclosed trailer. And I'm only doing single digit comps a year.

I figure I'll get my money back out of the trailer when it comes time to sell or upgrade based on what I paid for it and what we plan to do with it - unfortunately, I can't say that for the truck.

Ahem. This from Mr. Comfort-Is-King?

potkettleblack.jpg

I resemble that remark.

Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 with 6.7l Cummins turbo diesel

This is also my daily driver. Only thing this truck hauls is ass!

Attachments

• bbq trailer 018 [640x480].JPG
    bbq trailer 018 [640x480].JPG
    41.8 KB · Views: 59
1999 Dodge 3500 Cargo van, 5.9L, 29k miles. Was a Pac Bell "tool truck", affectionately known as the Que Unit. Came with an Onan 7500, wet and dry compressor, and tool boxes and drawers now converted to cooler storage, utensil storage and a bar.

Only thing this truck hauls is ass!
VQ whips out that line every time we go through state-border inspection on the way to California. :roll:

"What are you hauling today?"

*deadpan* "Ass, ma'am. We're hauling ass."

Todd, that pic just has me beggin for winter to be over so I can start tranforming the 24' Haulmark into the Q'chin!

Last edited:
1999 Dodge 3500 Cargo van, 5.9L, 29k miles. Was a Pac Bell "tool truck", affectionately known as the Que Unit. Came with an Onan 7500, wet and dry compressor, and tool boxes and drawers now converted to cooler storage, utensil storage and a bar.

That sounds like an incredible find! I would take that for sure....

I figure I'll get my money back out of the trailer when it comes time to sell or upgrade based on what I paid for it and what we plan to do with it - unfortunately, I can't say that for the truck.

If you take care of it, that truck will run forever allowing you to bank the money you'd be spending on a newer vehicle.

We use a 2000 Ford Excursion with the v 10 and 4.30 gears. It pulls our toy hauler very well. As far as the question of a trailer and truck specifically for BBQ comps, well we use ours for much more. Around the Grand Canyon, up at the Homalovi Ruins and other family trips.

Besides the Wife and kids like to have their own bathrooms and beds, at all comps are Family things for us.

Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 with 6.7l Cummins turbo diesel
This is also my daily driver. Only thing this truck hauls is ass!

I have to say that your pick up towing your rig is pretty bad ass, Todd.

I also like Big Scotty D's set up with the Lang and Stumps un the back deck of his rig.
AmericanRoyal_08008.jpg

Not sure what he uses to tow it, but it's big.

We tow our comp trailer with a 2006 E350 XLT Super Duty 12 passenger van. The bench seats remove easily for both storage and accomodations. Has the 5.4L Triton V8, and gas mileage is decent. Haulin' around is never a problem.

She is affectionately known as the "Yoder Toter." Or when in New England - Tha Yoda Tota. (Old Ohio boy reference to the way some of the carpenters in Sugar Creek get to and from work....)

Back