Tortillas --Fight Me

Care to share the brand name of said chile dip powder? Can't find a decent green enchilada sauce up here.

Andy, (I'm sure this is a yes) but have you checked out Tony's? Not sure the closest one to you.

We pretty much use them as a default for all of our Mexican foods and such, unless we are going into Aurora.

I have pork strips in the fridge in their pastor marinade right now. And we have both taco seasoning and steak/meat seasoning shakers in the cupboard under the Tony's label.

I'll look to see if they have a green enchilada sauce.

Care to share the brand name of said chile dip powder? Can't find a decent green enchilada sauce up here.

If you Google "green chile dip powder" you get a lot of hits for a brand called Desert Gardens. Not sure if that's the one Mrs. Adams likes..

Andy, (I'm sure this is a yes) but have you checked out Tony's? Not sure the closest one to you.

We pretty much use them as a default for all of our Mexican foods and such, unless we are going into Aurora.

Yep, shop there all the time. Haven't checked their house made stuff, but the stuff in the Hispanic aisle is the usual crap.

From the beginning tortillas were made of corn. To this day, tortillas are made from corn. What are referred to as "flour tortillas" are actually flat breads. So when in a restaurant if asked about tortillas they're inquiring white or yellow corn, not corn versus flour.

Flour "Tortillas", may The Creator have mercy on our souls

The Sonoran region may have something to say about that. :mrgreen:

Adams,

You should make Frito pie with flour chips, you'll change your way of thinking.....

I just got in from PD Canyon. Shower and shower beer and I'll get you her recipe. This green onion dip mix is hard to find here on the High Plains. When we had Albertsons they would often have it. We don't anymore.

Recipe for heavy Texan-- Tex Mex, so heavy probably not recognized south of Lubbock. But we enjoy it

Last edited:
I just got in from PD Canyon. Shower and shower beer and I'll get you her recipe. This green onion dip mix is hard to find here on the High Plains. When we had Albertsons they would often have it. We don't anymore.

Recipe for heavy Texan-- Tex Mex, so heavy probably not recognized south of Lubbock. But we enjoy it
Always seem to learn something new from you. Didn't know there were two kinds of Tex-Mex. :noidea: The Jewels (Albertson's), doesn't carry it here, but i did find it at Meijer's, a local midwest chain, about 15-20 minutes away. Will have to stop in next time I'm out that way.

Thanks Adams!

I love flour tortillas, especially made with lard or tallow. When I was a kid my friends Hispanic mother would make them fresh all the time. If I could ever get one, they were amazing. Corn tortillas certainly have a much deeper tradition, but flour tortillas are traditional in parts of Mexico and certainly in Texas. Tex-Mex isn't some "gringo" creation.

Amatuers.
ChiChis_Tortillas_Enchilada_Style_FlourCorn.png

We love Mexican food around here, like both and glad to have choices, not sure which is worse for my diabetes but try to not eat a lot. moderation of the good stuff is tough sometimes.

Decades ago San Antonio had a tortilla delivery service. Just like home delivered milk, you could have fresh hot corn tortillas delivered to your door

Tortillas delivered to your door sounds fancy. I have not attempted corn tortillas, but I have a pretty good handle on making fresh flour tortillas... you have to eat them in a day or so. The storebought flour tortillas will stay soft for 3 or 4 weeks... wonder why THAT is? The ingredients on the bag probably contain some clues.

"Texas does not, like any other region, simply have indigenous dishes. It proclaims them. It congratulates you, upon your arrival, of having escaped from the slop pails of the other 49 states."
–British author Alistair Cooke

I like both kinds of tortillas, especially if they're homemade, OR, produced locally with a short list of ingredients.

Saw some artisan local flour tortillas at the grocery store in a recent visit to AZ that looked heavenly - each one was slightly different, and you could tell they were made by hand. They also had lard in them, a nice plus. :thumb:

Back