THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I like German Sausage. Preferably with a dab of mustard but plain as well. Custom blends from Harolds Meat Market Ede's MM on my son's Vision Ceramic. I prefer raw regular, followed by raw jalapeno or green chile. Taste and texture is totally different than presmoked. Stuffed with cheese is probably a distant 3rd. Mustard and cheese don't work right for me.

I like a little variety too. When I make sausage I have 6 or 7 favorite recipes to choose from, and I buy from a few butcher shops too. A couple brothers I know make an enormous batch of German sausage once a year for family, friends, folks from their church and people they work with. It's from their Grandfathers family recipe and it's the basic German (60:40 beef/pork, salt, white pepper, black pepper, and garlic) they do add some Tender Quick for pinkness. The recipe is out of balance with salt and pepper, one brother is resistant to change, the other one will change the amounts of seasoning for different batches. In just the last 5 or 6 years they have been adding green chilies and hi-temp cheese to about 100 pounds, and it's becoming more popular than the standard recipe.

I like a little variety too. When I make sausage I have 6 or 7 favorite recipes to choose from, and I buy from a few butcher shops too. A couple brothers I know make an enormous batch of German sausage once a year for family, friends, folks from their church and people they work with. It's from their Grandfathers family recipe and it's the basic German (60:40 beef/pork, salt, white pepper, black pepper, and garlic) they do add some Tender Quick for pinkness. The recipe is out of balance with salt and pepper, one brother is resistant to change, the other one will change the amounts of seasoning for different batches. In just the last 5 or 6 years they have been adding green chilies and hi-temp cheese to about 100 pounds, and it's becoming more popular than the standard recipe.

Hi Have you got a GOOD German bratwurst recipe, or can you recommend a GOOD pre mixed one.
When I was stationed/Army in Germany, I had some really good bratwurst.
I bought a grinder & a stuffer tried a few times but not anything close too I had in Germany.
Just got some brats from an online store Black Forest.They were pretty good also had their franks.
https://blackforestbratwurst.com/
Thanks DanB

I am having a big time craving now...I had some smoked sausage last night. Not the same for sure! We are headed to Texas to visit the in-laws, so I may have to request some sausage when the grill gets fired up this weekend. Thanks for sharing!

Great stuff you've got going on the grill, Adams. Great variety.

As an interesting aside and semi-local discovery in the High Plains area of NM/TX...

We've just started taking part in a local "buying club" to have access to fresh fruit/veg, farm fresh eggs, and good meats from Paidom.

Really impressed with Paidom's offerings on the sausage front (and I understand that they use Ede's as a processor). Lamb Bratwurst!? Delicious! Chorizo? Excellent. Breakfast Sausage Links!? Oh, yeah... they're right on target.

Anywho, just an interesting discovery / idea for "local" fare.

Back