THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Q-Dat

Babbling Farker
Ok I know that briskets wre inherently fatty, but I have noticed lately on IBP briskets(which seem to dominate the brisket market here) That I am cutting away about half the weight of the brisket when trimming, and that is with leaving about a 1/4" fat cap. When I do find other brands like Excel or Swift, I have noticed that the fat left by the packer is not nearly as thick.

Anybody else noticed?

Yes, no real data, but, I prefer not to buy IBP packers for that reason, just too much fat. Plus, makes it hard to see the meat. I much prefer Excel, or whatever the brand is that I get at Cash and Carry.

Agree about the fat content of IBP but I have gotten pretty good briskets from them. Just hate to waste 30% to fat.

Agree about the fat content of IBP but I have gotten pretty good briskets from them. Just hate to waste 30% to fat.

After some of the ones I've trimmed lately I'd be glad to see only a 30% fat trim loss. Maybe that's how IBP sells a slightly cheaper brisket.

just started seeing these in my area. Got lucky for some IBP Choice marked Select by the grocery store for $2.18/lb so i won't complain about fat loss. Especially since i will just use these for practice.

It seems that all of the AG stores started carrying these briskets about the same time. AG must be getting a bulk deal.

Our Sam's has recently been stocking packers at 2.48/lb. They are marked USDA Choice and say Angus Beef on the package. I noticed the box the butcher had them in was an IBP box.

Back