Toasted pecan wood hot off the grill

J

jmoney7269

Finished me up a batch if pecan wood. This limb is 6
Months old from a tree we cut down. I just trim off a 6" piece when I need it, let it air out for a few days, an then toast it after hand splitting some chunks with a ax. Talk about quality control! Toast them for 4 hrs in the traeger @350 to take any of the green out Because green pecan will turn yo meat black! My buddy always told me that any wood is good to smoke with as long as its pecan or post oak, I disagree with him, he never had any fresh cherry from Fruitawoods.
F7CD722B-385F-48F9-9808-0619225581BB-187-00000023CED34391.jpg

373A4D4F-3E4F-4608-AC69-594E446D57FC-187-00000023DF24ED04.jpg

Oooh whats that stashed in the corner?
D2F4ACD6-E762-4A37-886A-16178EBD5CED-187-00000026E6DAF10F.jpg

Yessir, I only bring 22 lbs of wicked good lump and some pecan and cherry chunks to each comp to cook all meats. Anybody that messes with fresh pecan knows its a booger bear to split, and it smells kinda like boo boo when you get into the red heart wood but once you toast it and get all the moisture out and smoke with it, lawdy Jesus! It's heavenly In Your smoker Chunk it up, toast it, thank me later. It can even be done on a outdoor oven. Don't try it inside unless you like your woman's footprint in your behind, I would know! Anyways, just felt like sharing the wealth today, hope y'all enjoy

why not just cut it all and let it all season at once?

It's hard to explain. But the flavors I achieve from My method are way better with less wood. It's all personal preference. I might get stomped this weekend by someone using academy oak and pecan you never know, just sharing my spin on what I do. Not splitting it all at one time allows the wood to retain some moisture. Pecan kinda gets bad quick with weathering, often rotting within a year.

gottcha. well if you ever wanna trade pecan for Oak, I got all the oak I could ever need and drive by on my way to Houston. You in hutto this weekend? my friend will be down there for his first comp with his wsm and kettle..Wish I could go, but will be in Houston.

Chit, swing by, I will gladly give you some to try for yourself. I got all the post, live and pin oak I can stand, pecan is what I'm after, specifically the heart wood. Nobody talks about it, because nobody wants to give up the goods. Anyome that know me on pelletheads knows that I I gladly give away some of my techniques despite of the comp world. I just love good BBQ, and wanna help as many people along the way as I can. Just doin what I do is a different story. Behind closed doors is where it's at! :mrgreen:

Lol, sometimes I just don't got the time so i just do what my instinct tells me. It's weird when you: drop a peice of wood on the concrete, Clank em together, smell em, toast em what you can depict once you got the keen smell, sense and feel

Chit, swing by, I will gladly give you some to try for yourself. I got all the post, live and pin oak I can stand, pecan is what I'm after, specifically the heart wood. Nobody talks about it, because nobody wants to give up the goods. Anyome that know me on pelletheads knows that I I gladly give away some of my techniques despite of the comp world. I just love good BBQ, and wanna help as many people along the way as I can. Just doin what I do is a different story. Behind closed doors is where it's at! :mrgreen:

Jmoney, this is interesting. I'm going to play with which chuncks of pecan I pick, heart vs. not. I've never paid that much attention!!

Interesting indeed. Your comments have certainly piqued my interest . . .

Trey in Houston

Glad I can help a brotha out. The red heart wood is alot stronger than whatever people associate with pecan. Imo its just as strong or stronger than hickory. its definitely more pugent. don't worry, done screwed up plenty0briskets gettin this right. I guess the pecan is a Texas "dear to my heart" kinda thing. IMO pecan heart and cherry is the best combo labor Or money can get for smoking

I just recently got some Pecan Wood from a local wood guy. I used it on a couple of fatties and some beef short ribs and fell in love. I then did a brisket with 50/50 kosher salt and pepper and some pecan wood and the flavor was amazing.

I am still experimenting with Walnut, Maple, and Red Oak for beef. But as if right now Pecan is my favorite wood for beef.

My father in law trimmed all of the low hanging limbs from his pecan trees... I got all of the trimmings. :biggrin1:

LJ8cE0s.jpg

Yup, beef in general, but I tend to use them when I make some thick NY Strips. I think the smell is wonderful and the flavor is even better.

Back