To you serious comp Q'ers

I hung out with the Texas Rib Rangers for an entire comp this year. They showed me EVERYTHING they do - all the techniques - and they even let me video them and put them on youtube. Why? Because it doesn't matter if I know their "secrets." Fact is it takes skill, not secrets to cook good BBQ. Doesn't matter if I know how they prepare chicken. If I don't know my cooker through hours of practice it will be crap.

I'm not a believer in secrets - I believe in skill. I know I don't even come close to the farkers who have been doing this for years and quite framkly a special spice in my rub ain't gonna make up the difference. So I say let 'em come and let 'em learn.

In my experience, F&F are mostly talk and no action about showing up. If they do they're mostly in the way, as most Q'er's have expressed. It's fabu if you can get the help, but they mostly want to eat and "be a part of it all"! Enjoy the extra hands while you can get them!

My wife and I have already scheduled our second and third comp (yes we've been bitten by the bug). Since this is all we talk about; lots of family, friends and co-workers have asked to help us at the next comp. This is the entire reason I got involved with comp Q-ing to have fun with family and friends and to meet new friends. My question is: How do you entertain friends and family by letting them help at comps without giving away all your techniques and "SECRETS"? My wife and I have spent THOUSANDS of dollars buying stuff. We've spent countless days practicing and honing our sauces, rubs, and marinades. FIRST of all...I'm a big mouth; I normally tell everything! But in this case, I feel like I've got a lot of time, effort and money involved. I don't thinks its right to just give everything away. Don't get me wrong, I help people all the time with Q-ing and I'm more than happy to give anyone basic starting points to build their OWN products and techniques. Secondly, tell me if I'm wrong and being too serious about this whole thing! What would you do? Thanks!
I've kept quiet till now but here goes. I've had fellow cooks work with me at comps and they see everything I do and use and I have no problem with it. It's in the best interest of competition for everybody to learn and improve. I've taken classes from the best - USA Smoke, DR BBQ, Lotta Bull, Pellet Envy and Smokin Triggers. They also hold nothing back. I may be missing something here but so far you haven't won anything and you're worried about people stealing your secrets?

Now to talk about having people around and entertaining. It's a royal pain in the a$$ to have to entertain at a contest. I need total focus on the 4 comp meats. That means maybe 1 or 2 Jack's not a bunch of beers and Jack. That means getting naps when everybody else is having fun partying. That means spending 2 hours making boxes Friday night while others are having fun. Sometimes it pays off and sometimes it doesn't. If I have to cook for a party Friday evening and spend time with friends then I'm not going to be very serious about the competition. It's something only you can decide.

And I love having help with setup and break down but between times the only help I want is maybe if somebody I trust helps make a box Friday night. Even then I usually touch up their work.

I agree with most of the posts here. With the Mt Morris comp recently (my backyard basically) I had asked my family to come over Friday afternoon/evening. My mom and dad stopped by and hung out for a little while, then went home. I told all of my friends to come by Friday and they can forget Saturday. I think I may have offended some as they didnt show up at all!!

I like having a few people to help, I appreciate all of the help I can get, if they help. I am not much of a drinker so that is not a problem.

Now as far as "hiding" what I am doing, I just think that everyone is busy and if they have time to come over and see what I am doing then so be it. I have no secret ingredients or processes, heck most of them I learned here and practiced at home to get my process down. Not to say that I have not learned from others but there is only one way to get good at anything and that is to practice and then execute when the game is on the line.

Ok that is enough, I cant wait for 3:30pm kickoff!!

Nice thread...

Just a new pair of eyes who only saw 2 comps... first as a introduction to some of the Brethren at Yardley and assist as a "Support member" with Swamp Pit BBQ at New Holland. Being a Backyard Bum... have a respect to members who compete.

The resources required (equipment, meats, entrance fees, crashpads, and travel costs) prohibit me... and limit to be a lending hand only.

A few points of observation:
1. Knew enuff to stay out of the way when prep was going on.
2. Knew I was a pack/unpack mule.
3. Knew that I dont drink (brought my own "kid-friendly" beverages).
4. Was proud as hell being part of a team.

The friendships and experiences shared are priceless.

Last edited:
My brother Matt is one great guy. We decided tonight that we are going to compete like we should. Confident and intoxicated but in control. Friends are invited all day thursdays and saturdays only after 2 pm. fridays are off limits. Like it or hate it, too bad.
Matt, you da Man! Three peat chicken brother! Pickle juice!

Back