To Pan or Not to Pan

JRoman

Found some matches.
Hello, I am new to smoking. I have just set up my UDS and have done two smokes on it. But tomorrow I will be smoking my first turkey. The question is should I use a pan for my turkey or just left set on the grate. Any help with this question are much appreciated. Also any other information is good too.

Thanks and I hope everyone has a great Thankgiving.

I've done turkeys with an indirect set up on a kettle and on a WSM and I typically don't pan. I've not had any experience on a UDS. I used a pan once on the WSM because my wife wanted drippings for gravy but I had the turkey on a roasting rack set in the pan. Hope that helps some.

Happy Thanksgiving.

Myron says to use a pan and cook for 5 hours at 250. Personally, I'm not sure that will get the thing done if it is very big, but when I have used Myron's methods I always got great results, although it took a looong time to get there.

I like the pan lined with onions, carrots & celery so I can make gravy.

I think you can go iether way...

• Thanks
Reactions: pwa
Thank you for the replies, My wife wants dripping too, so I think I will pan. I like the lining the pan idea. I am planning to smoke for around 7 hours at 250. It is almost 14 pounds

I put a pan on the lower rack and the turkey on the top rack(with weber lid). I use the pan to catch the drippings with all the stuff to make gravy, 350-400F turns out great!!

So what how hot should I go? And for how long?

375 at the grate for about 3-1/4 hours. 165 IT at the thigh away from the bone. If ya wanna get fancy, ice pack the breast meat for 30-45 minutes before cooking so the breast isn't done way before the dark meat and all dried out. Works GREAT!!

Well I did use a pan, but keep it at 250, for about 6 1/2 hours. It was great everyone loved it. I would like to thank everyone help with their knowledge. I will definitely be looking for more help down the road.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Back