THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Chicken and cherry Beef and oak or pecan either option is good. I like stubbs charcoal briqiettes or you can get good lump. Wait for the blue smoke and throw the seasoned meat on.
Merry Christmas and enjoy the new cooker!

Thanks for the suggestions! the 2 whole chickens turned out great! Used 4 largish scraps of kiln dried cherry and got it to a perfect 165 by smoking it for almost exactly 2hrs at 275. Used Soo's Donut Minion Method.

10891921_10152917361620196_5227326763808407957_n.jpg

10888774_10152917368125196_932323631106212840_n.jpg

10888415_10152917386770196_8168565328161941182_n.jpg

don't over smoke with too much would - just use chunks - love cherry as its not harsh! search up the "minion method" and I would also get yourself a chimney starter to light the charcoal. (its against the BBQ Gods to use lighter fluid)

you are gonna love your new cooker!!

Congrats on the WSM and what looks like a great chicken cook. She'll run a little hotter until she seals up, so now is a great time for chicken.

Go for a beef short rib plate when you have time. About six hours at 275* and they are great.

Keep cooking on her and let us know how you like it. Check the link in my signature if you want some tips or ideas about mods for the WSM.

With no need to season, First few cooks can run hot. Do something forgiving. Pulled chuck roast or Pepper Stout Beef sliders

I think this is highly underrated as a first cook. Most of my family doesn't eat pork as well, so this is where I started. Pepper Stout Beef for first cook is the way to go!

Got the hinge, gaskets, and replacement door for Christmas as well. (door hasn't arrived yet). Going to do the hinge and gaskets today.

Congrats on the WSM and what looks like a great chicken cook. She'll run a little hotter until she seals up, so now is a great time for chicken.

Go for a beef short rib plate when you have time. About six hours at 275* and they are great.

Keep cooking on her and let us know how you like it. Check the link in my signature if you want some tips or ideas about mods for the WSM.

ok so there is a new wsm sitting under the tree for me.... Yay!

I think there is some expectation of me producing something on it for dinner that night. So ideally i need to season it i know.. But are there any good options for some bbq that day?

Here is that i've got to work with....
1. we don't eat pork
what??!!

My parents quit eating pork when I was a teenager for religious reasons, and honestly I don't really like it nearly as much as beef either. I love some good ribs and love bacon and sausage, but I really don't care for pork chops, tenderloins, etc. I'm fine with pulled pork, but I'll never make it when I could make something else like PSB or ribs. I'll take barbacoa over carnitas, PSB over pulled pork, steaks over pork chops, beef roasts over pork loin, any day. I guess there's the price factor, but I'd still rather have pulled chuck than a pork tenderloin.

I'm right there with ya... I can pull some beef just as well as I can pull some pork! And if you ever see any beef bacon, grab it!!!.... hard to find but oh so tasty. Barbacoa, SO GOOD!

Bresaola is another one to grab if you ever see it. It's like prosciutto but made with beef. Of course neither of them beats some homemade duck prosciutto! .... but now I've veered out of the realm of BBQ.

I love some good ribs and love bacon and sausage, but I really don't care for pork chops, tenderloins, etc. I'm fine with pulled pork, but I'll never make it when I could make something else like PSB or ribs. I'll take barbacoa over carnitas, PSB over pulled pork, steaks over pork chops, beef roasts over pork loin, any day. I guess there's the price factor, but I'd still rather have pulled chuck than a pork tenderloin.

Back