Tips, Tricks, and Cooking Hacks...

New favorite way to cook steaks on my weber 22"
weber chimney half full, set vortex upside down in center of charcoal rack , weber cast iron center insert.
all vents open, pour the lit coals into the inverted vortex and cook the steak on the outer edges of the grill with the lid on until they hit ~115* internal temp, remove the lid and let the coals get going really good then sear to perfection on the cast iron center.

OK, I have a new one for you.

On Thanksgiving, I broke one of my Thermoworks probes trying to push it through the rubber plug in my Shirley's probe port. The probes are always difficult to install and the rubber plugs had hardened with use.

I contacted Paul Shirley about where I could get new plugs and he helpfully pointed me to Home Depot.

So I bought brand new, pliable plugs. However, I am not going to install them. I will keep the old ones in place as "plugs" when I am not using the probes. I put probes through the the new ones and will leave them there. When I want to use probes, I'll pull out the old ones and use the new ones with the probes pre-installed.

No more broken probes!

Back