Tips on entering first bbq competition

What do you guys think you spend on average for a local comp? Entry meat ect.......

thanks bamabuzzard for asking this question. i was coming on to ask the same thing. Thank you everyone who gave tips. I will have to start the big time practicing tomorrow. Thanks again!

What do you guys think you spend on average for a local comp? Entry meat ect.......

Most comp's entry fees are between $225 to $300, most being $250 if
you're not in a large RV and need large space. We usually are, so $300.

I'll get 2 briskets, usually run just under $70. 3 pork butts just under $40.
16-20 chicken thighs, usually around $12. I'll spend about $50 on ribs.
Call it $180 for meat.

Miscellaneous supplies tend to run another $50, between greens for the
turn-in boxes, beef broth & marinades, sauces, extra spices for rubs, etc.
Usually comes in under $50, but I somehow manage to spend it....

Gas to and from. I'm in an RV, plus we bring a van; gasoline adds up.
We have another $100+ even for a fairly close one.

For us, most of the other supplies are things like beer, food, coffee, which
run only slightly more $$$ than we'd spend if we weren't at a comp, so I
dont factor those in to the comp costs.

We can also spend another $100 on fun ancillary categories, like Peoples
Choice, etc. I factor that in, usually another $50 in entry fees and then
another $50 give or take in food costs.

I usually budget $800, and we seem to hit it right about there.

You've gotten some great advise. As for the cost, we usually figure between $500 and $750 depending on the distance and the entrance fee's...

Yea thanks, I am going to compete in my first comp in April, the entry fee is like $150 and I was thinking around $200 in meat.
Thanks for your responses. This can be an expensive hobbie.....:biggrin:

Have fun! Don't go into it think you will win it all. Think of it as Hanging out with some friends, having a good time sitting around BSing about anything and nothing.
Then if you get a call it's a Bonus.

If you go into your first comp thinking you have to do everthing perfect, you will never make it to a second.

Have fun, think of it as fun, and you will have fun.

My first comp the daytime temps were around 105 and at night it dropped all the way down to 98, Hottest day it 2 years, but we had fun, went into the comp thinking the worst that would happen is we were camoing on a street in a small town in NC. Best, we took 1st in pork and 2nd in ribs in the backyard comp, We had fun and have done a few more since then, If we went into it think we had to come home with an award, we would have never had any fun and would not have done another comp.

I plan on coming in dead last and just learning. Anything more than that would be a bonus

Come up with a time line, for meats. That'll cut out a big chunk of stress on saturday. work on it at home first to make sure times work out with the way you cook.

Yea thanks, I am going to compete in my first comp in April, the entry fee is like $150 and I was thinking around $200 in meat.
Thanks for your responses. This can be an expensive hobbie.....:biggrin:

you are not kidding, this is a very expensive hobby :shock:, I try to reserve 900-1000 per contest, anything less is just bonus for the next one.:icon_clown

you can trying to hook up with another team and cut some of the cost:icon_cool

I can not tell you how much a check list is important.

I went to a contest, not close to my house at all, I had to call my wife to get me some chicken,,,, I didn't noticed the freaking chicken missing intill I was having my meat check-in.

I really hate chicken, and it is really not something on top of my list of stuff to get, and my wife (bless her) did not mind at all.

Bring enough beer and bourbon to make boilermakers for the teams around you, then
provide massive quantities of that to them, starting about 8pm on Friday night. Mind
you, you're drinking water with an occasional beer. If you'd like, bring a Hooters
girl and have them do jello shots out of her navel.

I want to be next to you! Just to watch the fun! :-D

Have a checklist for all the things you need for a contest. Phil and Linda Hopkins of Smoking Guns BBQ have a really good one that we have been using for years. You can download it and make changes to it to fit your specific needs. Good Luck to your new journey, it will be packed with excitement I'm sure.....mine has! Checklist

Oh yea.....Practice,Practice,Pracrtice. The cooks keep getting better and better! Don't ever use a contest to try something new, do that at home. Take notes and keep a notebook. Know your pit and how it operates in all weather conditions. Remember you are cooking for the judges not yourself or your family.

check the roadmap or this forum.. load of first time advice, checklists, etc. All geared towards competing.

Was in my first comp last October.....
All i have to say, once bitten--youll get the bug..
Its fun, lots of work..
I will be in at least 2 comps this year, maybe 3

Practice at home, try different recipes ... see what works and what dont

good luck

Back