THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

rimshotgraphix

Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.
so my New Braunfels Bandera smoker is literally about to rust out and fall apart (cover purchased for it crapped out in a less than 3 months). The way i understand it they are just not made like they used to be.

I'm looking to upgrade to a bit better craftsmanship (1/4" steel?) but don't want to break the bank. (i'm a weekend warrior smoker) Any manufacturers and models you would recommend? I love the 'closet' style of the Bandera but not married to it.

I checked out a co. named Klose out of Houston, TX that appears to make great stuff, but it a looks a little pricey in my opinion....course, i've been wrong before.

thanks in advance. (side note: i used a rasberry chipotle sauce available at Costco on my last pork shoulder and got rave reviews)

You can't go wrong with a Klose. Gators and LyfeTymes are a bit cheaper. Or you could go with a Big Green Egg (BGE) if you want to switch to a ceramic.

It really depends on how you cook and what type of cooker you want. Lang makes a very good offset, Stumps is good if you're looking for a gravity feed vertical, BGE is my choice for a ceramic because of their versatility, quality and excellent customer service. I have the big Weber Kettle, and that is very versatile also. I think you have to settle on a style first and then move on to selecting a brand.

Lots of good ones out there and most of the bigger names have excellent customer support and excellent quality of craftsmanship. I have a Backwoods Fatboy and Chubby and love them. I also have two Grill Domes and really like them as well. I cooked on a Stumps for about 1/2 of the 2010 season and like it alot. It is hard to beat the versatility and value of an insulated vertical like the Backwoods, Superior or Stumps.

Back