THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

brandonh1987

Full Fledged Farker
Hey All,

Was looking at adding a pellet pooper to my arsenal. I just don't have the time anymore. A traeger dealer around here and was eyeing the timberline 850.

Any timberline users here? How do you like it? I would mainly be using it for brisket, pork, turkey, and burgers. Looking for advice on the following.

Smoke profile? Assuming I'd use lumberjack pellets and not traeger. Obviously I won't get a heavy smoke, but a nice subtle flavor is what im looking for. Not overpowering.
Able to produce a nice bark?
Steady temp in cold weather?

THanks!

All the Traeger haters please form an orderly line.�� Me? I don’t have a Timberline, but I do own a Traeger Pro 22. Have owned it, and use it on a pretty regular basis for over 5 years now. And I have had ZERO problems with it. Still on the original hot rod, auger, auger motor and electronics. It does not have a heavy smoke profile, so if I am looking for a heavier profile I just use a smoke tube. As for the Timberline series Itself I really can’t speak good or bad.

SO I don't chat much as time does not allow but I have a 1300. It has become almost my primary used smoker. Just for reference I also on a LSG Large Cab, a Kamado Joe Classic, Weber 26, Weber Genesis (Not newest model), a UDS( A buddy has been borrowing it for about a year now).
My 1300 gets used 3 to one to all the others. So, I know that some feel as thought Traeger is the black sheep but as for me and my family we love it.

Smoke profile is perfect for us.(And yes I even use taeger pellets simple because they are easy for me to get)
My taste buds say Bark = bitter, and indigestion/heartburn after. So I do not go for bark, same on all the rest of my smokers. Bark is not the taste I like. However I cant stand Chocolate either so to each his own.
Could not be easier to use. Here is a pic of Tuesday night meal cooked after work getting home at 5:30 pm. No way I would fire up one of my others in the middle of the week . (FYI the grill marks are from searing on grill grates on the Genesis after smoking done)
Hope this helps

Attachments

I have an older brother that bought the top end Timberline. He liked it enough he bought a couple more for son and son in law. His BGE and Klose $10K+ cookers are now yard art. Cared for but seldom used. When he Grills he uses a gasser. He said his Traeger Dealer assembled, delivered and went over how to use and what to expect. Last I heard he is quite satisfied

Back