THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mister Bob

Babbling Farker
It was cloudy and damp here today, so chili seemed like a good idea. It's not exactly BBQ but I thought I would share it anyway, I hope that's OK.

These are the ingredients:

2 lbs beef cubed (I used chuck short rib meat)
1 yellow onion
3 garlic cloves
1 red bell pepper
3 Red Fresno peppers
1 14.5oz can diced tomatoes
1 8oz can tomato sauce
1 14.5oz can beef broth
1 7.5oz can chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
1/4 cup chili powder
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Kosher salt
fresh ground black pepper
vegetable oil
sour cream
shredded cheddar cheese

I started with a 3-1/2 pound rack of short ribs.

ThreeAlarmTexasRed86003.jpg

I separate the ribs, remove the meat from the bones, trim and cut into 3/8" cubes. I wound up with just under 2 pounds.

ThreeAlarmTexasRed86004.jpg

ThreeAlarmTexasRed86005.jpg

ThreeAlarmTexasRed86006.jpg

ThreeAlarmTexasRed86007.jpg

Next, I seasoned with salt and pepper and browned in vegetable oil.

ThreeAlarmTexasRed86008.jpg

ThreeAlarmTexasRed86009.jpg

Once the meat is browned and set aside, I start on the vegetables. I diced the peppers and grated the onion and garlic.

ThreeAlarmTexasRed86010.jpg

ThreeAlarmTexasRed86011.jpg

I sweat the vegetables until everything is nice and tender then I add the meat back into the pot along with the rest of the ingredients. I bring it to a boil then lower the heat and simmer for two hours. (I missed the cumin in the photo, but I didn't miss it in the pot!)

ThreeAlarmTexasRed86012.jpg

ThreeAlarmTexasRed86013.jpg

ThreeAlarmTexasRed86014.jpg

I fried some soft taco shells and hit them with some sea salt to add a little crunch to the meal.

ThreeAlarmTexasRed86015.jpg

I served it up with a dollop of sour cream and a sprinkling of shredded cheddar cheese. The chili had plenty of heat and plenty of flavor, I'll definitely do this one again!

ThreeAlarmTexasRed86016.jpg

Back