THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I agree with the go for it. We are in a similar situation, I am smoking my first one this Thanksgiving (requested by my FIL) but we are also frying one like normal just because you never know. More Turkey = More leftover Turkey sandwiches!

I've been indirect smoking turkey's for 30+ yrs. I use a drip pan to catch the drippins for gravy.
Like Iamadman states. Fruit wood chunks 315* to 325*.
I do not brine. I do not buy the enhanced turkey's either. But they are fine. I've had to do many over the years.
Good coating of kosher salt on the skin, everywhere.
What ever you like on the inside. I always do 2 birds. One stuffed, one not.
Couple examples from a few of my cookers..

Attachments

• turkey 1.jpg
    turkey 1.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 105
  • 20 lb bird on swing (3).jpg
    20 lb bird on swing (3).jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 103
  • turkeys (3).jpg
    turkeys (3).jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 103
  • DSC00585.jpg
    DSC00585.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 102
  • drip pan.jpg
    drip pan.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 104
It's SUPER EASY, don't get scared off. I've been doing one in my WSM the last 4 years and it's a breeze. Pat it down dry, pour a bottle of Eye-talian dressing under the skin and in the cavity then rub it down lightly with a basic port rub (whatever you may have already). Smoke it at 250, wrap the legs and wings in foil after a few hours so they don't get burnt, and use a reliable thermometer to gauge when to pull it out. Unless you are smoking a big one, shouldn't take longer than 5 hours but that is variable.

You'll love it.

I think this might be my first post on the forum - so, hi, everyone!

I'm planning to smoke my first turkey this Thanksgiving. As others have mentioned, I'm going in without a practice run -- but I have smoked a fair amount of whole chickens. I'm not planning to butterfly/spatcock the bird, and the plan is indirect heat on a Weber Kettle with cherry or pecan wood chunks until done.

I've had a lot of luck cooking chickens this way, so I'm optimistic that the turkey will turn out pretty good, too. I'll probably use a Butterball, so it'll be pre-brined. I'll catch the drippings for gravy, if I can...

I’ve smoked quite a few birds and my best ones are spatched cocked and brined. I follow a chef rom recipe and it’s been the best I’ve ever made or had

Memphis Elite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Don't bother brining a Butterball or similarly packaged store turkey...pretty much a waste of time. Brining is for turkey that hasn't been processed.

Forget low & slow with poultry. Pull the water pan out and get your WSM really hot before putting the bird in. Set up a drip pan on the lower rack if you want.

Had planned to spatchcock this brined Amish bird a few years ago. Switched gear and did it whole on the WSM 18 with a starting temp north of 400. Was 14-16# and at thigh internal temp after about 2½ hours. Skin was crispy but got soggy after tenting. No big deal...turkey skin isn't that great. Pecan is the best for smoking poultry IMO. Smells nearly as heavenly as cherry when the cook is on and adds a mild flavor to birds.

20141111.jpg

For several years we had gone to my BILs house for Thanksgiving. He always smoked turkeys and did an excellent job. Last year we were hosting instead and my wife wanted me to smoke the turkey. No pressure since 1) I had never smoked a whole turkey and 2) my BIL was coming. One thing he had told me was brining was the key and don't over cook. My turkey turned out excellent and he was impressed.

Back