Thoughts from a judge

Fairly new to the competition BBQ scene but I understand the garnish. One of the first things a chef learns is that you eat with your eyes first. If it don't look good you won't eat it. The meat in a box by itself can look good but the green just helps to enhance the look of it.

I can honestly say I have never heard of any Comp Team putting refrigerated meat into a turn in box, and I am sure that we all would have heard about it through the rumor mill...
I have also judged samples that were turned in cold (as in clearly refrigerated). It happens every once in a while but not very often.

Or just sauced with ice cold sauce that was just taken out of the cooler?
And put in a box that was also in the cooler all night

Or just sauced with ice cold sauce that was just taken out of the cooler?
And put in a box that was also in the cooler all night

My thoughts as well Bobby. I know most of us (that I have seen) try and wait until as late as possible to box up the food so it stays warm...

My thoughts as well Bobby. I know most of us (that I have seen) try and wait until as late as possible to box up the food so it stays warm...
Well, sure - and I do too! I believe that the vast majority of cooks know that food tastes best right off the cooker.

But I have judged samples that . . . well, you know what food tastes like right outta the fridge! It was that cold!

I am beginning to wonder if it might be a single team out there that is serving up samples from their fridge or cooler . . .

I liked the muffin pans so much, I'm gonna start cooking my brisket in a pie pan.

Cook your butts in a bundt pan (sorta rhymes :p)

Fellow competitors...it is VITAL that you get into the heads of the judges. Don't knit pick over the exact interpretation of the rulebook...that's an argument you won't win except in principle and they don't give out checks and trophies for that.

Shifting gears just a tad.
On Pitmasters...Pablo (young chef from Texas that ain't doing so well) asked a cliffhanger question on the last episode about how he's questioning whether he belongs and doesn't know what he's doing wrong. My response to him (and anybody else trying to make a go at some calls and trophies) would be to take a judging class and/or be a judge. That would help him get into the heads of the judges and find out what they are looking for. You might find that their interpretation of the rulebook is a lot different than yours.

Relative to the first line of MOBOW's comment, I hope I never stop learning as a judge. I have 34 comps under my belt, literally, and want to keep learning if that number gets as high as my colesteral number.

I hope the cooks keep learning also. My fantasy is to judge a comp and give nothing but 9s. I know, I'm getting old if my fantasies are about BBQ.

First of all I would like to thank you for your comments. I too am a CBJ but took the class more to determine what they were looking for rather than just to judge contests.

Secondly, I would like to thank you for judging the contests you did judge. Far more times than not we hear that the Rep is "searching for judges" on Saturday Morning.

I am still learning as a kcbs judge and do not have as much experience as many but thought I would share some of my thoughts and experiences in KCBS sanctioned events with hopes of being helpful and to encourage other judges to add to the topic.

1. Always use garnish. It is legal to not but it is easier to 9's with than without it.

I agree. I also agree that it is a meat contest, when you add the garnish, it not only looks better for the 'Appearance Score' but also makes it more inviting for the tasting score.

2. Never send a box of cold meat. Room temp will not hurt you badly but still cold from the ice box/cooler will kill your score.

While I don't think any of us would intentionally send cold meat, I'm sure it does happen. All it takes is a box full of parsley that has been in a 32* cooler for the last 12-14 hours and meat that was sauced with a cold sauce. Heck, my first year you may have been talking about one of my boxes!

3. If you mix your meat make sure it is all good. Thigh meat with Breast meat is wonderful but they both better be spot on. If not it is best to just send the better of the two.

I agree. The same thing goes for brisket slices and burnt ends. There have been contests I've been tempted to turn in burnt ends only!

4. Watch the salt. Too much salt is a 6 waiting to happen.

As was said before, balance is the key.

5. Watch the heat of your spices. I think most judges like some heat when eating at home but if your heat is going to make it difficult to taste the next entry you will lose points.

Again, balance is the key. I'm not a big fan of heat for heats sake.

6. Make sure you get enough flavor in your chicken. It needs smoker flavor not grilled. If you can the flavor just grillen great but if it taste like grilled chicken it will lose points

While I agree that you can use either a grill or a smoker to produce some mighty fine chicken, I also feel a need to cook to what the judges are expecting. This holds true on all that I turn in. I do not serve the food I would turn into a judge at comps to my friends. Just like I don't serve the food I would serve to my friends to judges at a comp. If you are not trying to hit the flavor profile that is expected, you are not going to get the walks.

7. You do not have to sauce but if you don't it better be a good piece of meat. Sauce can give you some points you would not get without it. But too much sauce will cost you points also.

Personally, I get the feeling that if it's not sauced, many (not all, but many) feel it's not 'real' BBQ.

8. When saucing get a good coverage. By this I mean if brushing it on don't leave a obvious bare spot.

Agreed, but remember, a thin coating is much different than a thick slathering.

9. I think skin on chicken scores better than skin off but this could probably have a lot of debate.

I agree to a point. I would rather get a piece of chicken that has no skin over one that has a thick, rubbery skin that still has a thick layer of fat on it.

10. Get some flavor in your brisket. The ones that I have at table that scored the best had a great deal of attention given to get some extra flavor into the meat through injections or a baste after slicing.

Again the key is balance. You can pump all kinds of flavor into a brisket and have it the worst thing you've ever tasted. Yes get the flavor in but don't loose sight that this is a meat contest and it should taste like a slice of brisket and not a turkey leg.

hope this sparks some thought and is helpful. keith

As you can see, it did...

Thank you again

Thanx for everyones perspectives and encouragement. My wife and I enjoy going to competiotions and judging very much. We take the responsibility that we are entrusted with very serously. We know that the competitors have a great deal of time and money attached to the competition and I/we want to be as fair and thorough as we can be. We are signed up for several contest already. The smoke on the water contest in Little Rock matches up with my wifes school being on break so we are signed up for it as our first adventure in the 2010 season. Maybe we will run into some of you there. keith

Back