Thoughts and Advice on GF Smokers

c8a535b64a782851e609e1d520bbf1e2.jpg

This One (not me in video):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZ-aR5J2NM8&t=115s
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sometime this Summer Old Country is releasing a Smaller version in the $1200-$1400 range that will be Sold in Academy Sports. I have not seen it yet ......

I want to get an assassin 24 just trying to decide what options are worth it. Any advice Smitty?

I’d have to look at what options they offer........Assassin has a Great reputation and many on here have them.

Some prefer stainless grates - I’m Fine with expanded metal grates. D rings if you are ever gonna haul it. Extra racks depends on your cooking - what meats n amounts. I would get rain cap on exhaust. I do run a PitMaster IQ120 on mine sometimes if I’m not able to watch it.

I just want to make sure I will be getting a good smoke flavor with whatever I am making.....(I generally use Hickory and mesquite woods.)

I think it uses a bit more wood than my WSM. I don't mix the wood chunks in the chute, I put them directly into the ash pan. Keeping the meat wet too helps smoke flavor stick.

Think about the waste of money this way. (Dunno what your tax situation is).

MM G33 - $5,400 + no shipping = $5,400. Sell for 85% of cost and get $4,590. Lose $810.

DS 28 - $4,995 + $600 shipping = $5,595. Sell for 85% of cost and get $4,246. Lose $1,349.

:biggrin1:

I would be willing to bet that every bad thing you hear about the Myron Mixon smokers is because the person saying it got butt hurt at something they heard Myron say on TV. If I had the extra money lying around for a Myron Mixon smoker I'd be happy as all get out to have one.

Myron's personality is polarizing. To some people good, others bad. I've never used his smoker however they have them for sale at my local BBQ store and its a damn UNIT. If i could afford it i would have it.

So I am leaning more towards the Mixon G33.... The shop that sells them is less than a mile from my house and I like everything that is "standard" in it. My only hang up is when I feel like i've made up my mind I always see a review or comment of a poor experience with one (or of a friends)..... I just want to make sure I will be getting a good smoke flavor with whatever I am making.....(I generally use Hickory and mesquite woods.)

If you're going to KC Grilling, make sure to pick up a bottle or two of Yes, Dear Sauce :becky: (thread hijack over).

The fact that the store you can buy it at is a mile down the road is exactly why I'd buy a certain brand over another. That the owner competes on a Mixon unit and should be able to help with any issues, and you won't have to pay shipping/freight/etc is worth a ton of money in my book.

If you're going to KC Grilling, make sure to pick up a bottle or two of Yes, Dear Sauce :becky: (thread hijack over).

The fact that the store you can buy it at is a mile down the road is exactly why I'd buy a certain brand over another. That the owner competes on a Mixon unit and should be able to help with any issues, and you won't have to pay shipping/freight/etc is worth a ton of money in my book.

Haha..... KC Grilling Co is the store that's down the street from me. First time I went in there I bought a bunch of different rubs. I'll definitely go buy some of your sauce next time i'm in!

Rich (and the others) have been a big help educating me and answering my questions. Since he said he uses the same unit, I am a little more comfortable with purchasing it since I know he isn't "just trying to make a sale". you know?

I really appreciate all the comments on this. You guys are incredibly helpful! Makes it much easier for me to really think through my decisions and issues I am having with things I have seen.

I did a search for the OP to see what the end result was. Did he get his Myron Mixon? Has anyone seen some posts I missed? Maybe some cook glamour shots?

TIA,
Sid

Used my MMS G20 a million times.
Used an Assassin 24 once.

I’d buy the MMS first. It just feels a better in every single way. Wheels, chute, racks, handles, ergonomics, build, etc.

So I haven't bought the Mixon yet. I was ready to purchase a few months back, but had to use that money to fund part of my wedding (due to our venue going bankrupt or something)..... So I am trying to save up again to purchase within a year! I will definitely be posting pictures and glamour shots of my first cooks when I get it! I'll have to make due with my NB Bandera for now. ;-)

So I haven't bought the Mixon yet. I was ready to purchase a few months back, but had to use that money to fund part of my wedding (due to our venue going bankrupt or something)..... So I am trying to save up again to purchase within a year! I will definitely be posting pictures and glamour shots of my first cooks when I get it! I'll have to make due with my NB Bandera for now. ;-)

You chose getting married over a cooker?

Back