Thoughs on Smoking a Fresh Ham???

Bacchus2b

is Blowin Smoke!
I couldn't resist picking up this 21 pound Fresh Ham at 50% off in the grocery store yesterday, and I'm looking for some advice on cooking methods.

I've only cooked one whole ham a few years ago, and if memory serves I smoked it at 225 to 250 for about four hours, then I scored the skin and fat in a diamond pattern and crisped it up at 450 in an oven, and it turned out pretty good. (Pic's Below)

Looking at various online recipes I see people removing the skin to get more surface area for rub, and different theories as to internal temperature. I'm planning on slicing rather than pulling, so shooting for an internal at the bone temp of 145 to 150 and letting it rest from there before crisping the exterior. I'm also planning on injecting the crap out of it as I know this is a much leaner cut than a shoulder. No desire to wet cure this one.

Any other thoughts or proven methods with Fresh Ham (AKA "Green" Ham) ???

Thanks! David

Fresh Ham Raw by David Miller, on Flickr

Fresh Ham Cooked by David Miller, on Flickr

Fresh Ham Scored by David Miller, on Flickr

Anytime I get pork with skin on, I am happy. I would never take it off, unless you want to make cracklings. I like to cut pockets all over, and put a garlic clove, piece of green onion, and a piece of jalapeno in each pocket. If you leave the skin on, you want to score it to help it crisp up. If I don't do the pockets, I cut a diamond pattern on it. You can still get rub under the skin that way, and get the wonderful crispy pork skin, which tastes better than the ham.

Back