This weekends cook... {Lots of Pron}

Fantastic looking spread! Not only do I agree with your great food, but also a Bears fan - all alone down here in the Lone Star state.

WoW that is some kind of cook all of it looks great What did you mean split the brisket?
When I know I have to make burnt ends, I'll split the brisket by removing the point from the flat and cooking them seporatly. This way I can season all sides of each piece of meat rather than having just the top of the point and bottom of the flat seasoned if I remove the point after cooking.

Here is a site that explains how to do it... http://www.azbbqa.net/articles/brisket-trim.htm

So were those burnt ends as good as the ones in Princeton?
Good looking grub my friend. Wishin I was there cookin' with ya!

Just for Dive, I cooked 96 pounds of butts on the WSMs Labor Day weekend. Good stuff!

So were those burnt ends as good as the ones in Princeton?
Good looking grub my friend. Wishin I was there cookin' with ya!

Just for Dive, I cooked 96 pounds of butts on the WSMs Labor Day weekend. Good stuff!
Better (and I wish you was here too! There was much beer consumed!)

Congrats on finally doing a decent size cook! j/k I've got to do another case of briskets this weekend....

Last edited:
Jeff if you do not mind me asking. When you cook your burnt ends, do you go ahead and remove the point BEFORE putting the brisket on your Lang, or do you keep it attached until you reach temp, remove it from the flat and throw the point on the Lang? I ask because I am dying to learn to make burnt ends like that!

Jeff if you do not mind me asking. When you cook your burnt ends, do you go ahead and remove the point BEFORE putting the brisket on your Lang, or do you keep it attached until you reach temp, remove it from the flat and throw the point on the Lang? I ask because I am dying to learn to make burnt ends like that!
I like to split the Point from the Flat prior to putting them on the smoker so that all sides of both cuts get not only seasoned but also get a fair amount of smoke.

When I pull the flats, I also pull the points, cube them to about one inch square, and put them into a large bowl and toss with another dose of rub (about a quarter of what I used to season the point) and some sweet BBQ sauce. Be careful not to put to much sauce on. I know it'll be tempting to put on to much but you can always add more.

I then transfer the cubes to a disposable pan (if you have one, put a rack under the cubes because they give off more than a little rendered fat) and put them back onto the smoker for at least another 3 or so hours.

You want to smoke the burnt ends until they are sticky and very tender.

Good Luck!

(Just a note, in my family they are called 'Beef Candy')

dang...I should know better than to read this site and all the pron before Ive had lunch/dinner/breakfast/snack or any food at all to eat...makes me hungry every time!

I like to split the Point from the Flat prior to putting them on the smoker so that all sides of both cuts get not only seasoned but also get a fair amount of smoke.

When I pull the flats, I also pull the points, cube them to about one inch square, and put them into a large bowl and toss with another dose of rub (about a quarter of what I used to season the point) and some sweet BBQ sauce. Be careful not to put to much sauce on. I know it'll be tempting to put on to much but you can always add more.

I then transfer the cubes to a disposable pan (if you have one, put a rack under the cubes because they give off more than a little rendered fat) and put them back onto the smoker for at least another 3 or so hours.

You want to smoke the burnt ends until they are sticky and very tender.

Good Luck!

(Just a note, in my family they are called 'Beef Candy')

Wow! Nice looking feast. Having never had "burnt ends" before (they always sounded dry and chewy), THANK YOU for the how-to and definition. :p

Back