This time it was me…. I fell asleep.

patrickd26

Full Fledged Farker
So, I thought I had my overnight cook ready. The smoker pre-heated to 235 for two hours. It looked very stable. I put my brisket on and added several chunks of wood. The temp spiked to about 300, so I shut my intake down. It started to settle back in, so I went to bed. I forgot to open it back up. The chamber stayed at 155 from about 1000pm until 630am. The meat has been idling at 135 since about 130am.

I just opened the intake, wrapped it, and turned the temp up to 300. Thoughts on if this is a waste?

Some here would say to toss it, but not me. I'd cook it and smell it and I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out awesome.

Ok. Thanks. I’ve been smoking for 20’ish years. I’ve read many posts about stuff like this, but I’ve never experienced it. I’m going to let it ride. Have a Happy Easter.

You just took low and slow to an extreme. It should still finish the same after you wrapped it.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

I’m no expert re: food safety, but my bet is it’ll be great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I don’t know how hard a line the 140 degree threshold is. Technically that was a long time in a bad range but 5 degrees more and it would have been fine. I’m guessing that there is a margin of error in the 140 number so in reality 135 might really be fine.

In terms of safety the danger starts on the surface, but you're smoking a piece of a meat and I'll bet you have salt on the surface of the meat. So the smoke inhibits the growth of bacteria, and salt does the same thing as well. As already stated 135 internal temp is right there at the line where as long as you're above it you're good to go in terms of food safety. So the risk here is very minimal and as long as you're not serving anyone who has an already compromised immune system, or is very old / young, then you're fine.

How did it come out?

I'd be lying if i said it's never happened to me once before. When i woke up i finished the cook, with beef i wasn't too concerned from a food safety perspective.

In my case the brisket must have cooked further than i thought before the fire burned out. The final product was pretty overdone, made for good chili but was still disappointing. I learned to pace myself on the beers and bourbon during a cook though as i'm pretty sure that's how i fell asleep lol.

Back