~thirdeye~ Pastrami Using Sam's Club Member's Mark Corned Beef Brisket Flats

thirdeye

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Batch Image
Batch Image
A few short months ago my Sam's Club stopped carrying Grobbel's brand corned beef brisket. It was a really nice product, the brine was not overly strong, the trimming of the fat was quite good and they had an even thickness. The flat cut usually had a strip of meat from the point which was a little bonus. The replacement product carries the Member's Mark brand and is USDA choice Angus beef. Not CAB, but Angus nonetheless. I pastramied two of these over the weekend for a going away pot luck party, the 4th and 5th Member's Mark ones I've smoked,... so I decided a product review was in order.

omNr0ea.jpg

First off the packaging has a pretty small label, so you can really check out what you're buying. Only a few patches of silver skin were on the inside face, the fat side was 1/8" to 3/16" thick. All 5 I've done have had a strip of point meat, maybe 2 fingers wide.

bmwY7CE.jpg

I do a rinse followed by a 6 hour refrigerated soak-out, changing the water once, then patted dry and applied my homemade pastrami rub along with a layer of my garlic pepper seasoning, then rested in the beer fridge (uncovered) for 15 hours. I use a V-notch to indicate grain direction.

dODNTs2.jpg

Smoking time was just over 4 hours, to an internal of 155° using pellets mixed within the charcoal and an 8" long mini log of hickory.... and they were hung in my BDS with a 250° pit temp.

bQpxywC.jpg

I use a 40 minute pressure finish at 13psi with natural release, and added 1 quart of beefy broth from Minor's concentrate.

ltcXBRm.jpg

After 30 minutes on the counter, I sliced a tester... then did a quick chill, and wrapped until the following day. You can see some of the point muscle in this slice.

dkRDJJB.jpg

I sliced them cold, placed into long vacuum bags, added 2 or 3 ounces of the finishing juices and sealed with only a slight vacuum. I left the bags long so I could let them hang over the counter edge and avoid any juice being sucked into the sealer. Reheating was done in a Nesco roaster with 2" of water depth, set at 200°, for 35 minutes.

nnpGTwi.jpg

For transport and serving I put the slices into butcher paper lined clamshells and spooned some of the juice over the top. I took along some Jewish rye, and coarse brown mustard.

Overall impression: The quality of the meat and the brining was equal to Grobbel's brand.
The tenderness was equal to the Grobbel's, but a pressure finish is always consistent. The flavor of the broth was excellent, but all Minor's concentrates are pretty good (I save the leftover to use for soups or dipping sandwiches). And the overall flavor was actually better than the Grobble's, although I like the drum flavor on pastrami, and the mini log was a good piece of hickory. Bottom line is, I hate to see a favorite product I've used for so many years go away, but I'm happy with the replacement. Six people asked me to make one for them next time I make pastrami, and hanging in the BDS makes that a breeze. I stagger the smoker start times by 1 hour for each pair of briskets to compensate for the pressure finish time.

Looks great, thanks for the review. Sad to see a Detroit product taken off a shelf. Im currently less than a mile from Grobbels. Good people over there

Would you expand a bit on the pressure finish? I like the idea both for probably improved juiciness and predictable tenderness.

For my corned beef and pastrami experient, reported in a thread a couple of days ago, we cut the corned brisket in half and cooked half in our Instant Pot for 52 minutes with a natural release. It was almost too tender, with some of the meat slices almost crumbling when refrigerated.

Our 52 minutes was selected because we had done a previous commercial corned beef for 45 and it seemed like it could use a little longer.

So ... your pressure cooker? Instant Pot? How did you come up with the time? Any other thoughts?

Mate, would you mind sharing your pastrami rub and garlic pepper seasoning recipes? I've never made pastrami but was checking out this exact brand of corned beef yesterday at my CostCo.

Whats in your rub besides pepper? I have noticed with my pastrami's, corainder never gets pitch black like Katz. People claim its a long steam process, but i think there is some trickery going on with katz and some deli brands like Boars head.

Would you expand a bit on the pressure finish? I like the idea both for probably improved juiciness and predictable tenderness.

For my corned beef and pastrami experient, reported in a thread a couple of days ago, we cut the corned brisket in half and cooked half in our Instant Pot for 52 minutes with a natural release. It was almost too tender, with some of the meat slices almost crumbling when refrigerated.

Our 52 minutes was selected because we had done a previous commercial corned beef for 45 and it seemed like it could use a little longer.

So ... your pressure cooker? Instant Pot? How did you come up with the time? Any other thoughts?

http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1996/05/beef-pastrami.html

Great info in here on what he does. Ive used this method multiple times, always a great result.

I see Jrogers84 has posted a link to my recipe page, but yes a pressure finish is for tenderness, the product stays moist because a pressure cooker is a closed environment, and you wind up with cooking juices that are really, really good.

My pressure cookers are all the traditional kind, one operates at 10psi, one is variable but it is small capacity, and my pressure canner (which is the one shown) is considerably larger but it will run at any pressure as it has a gage and a 5-10-13-15 pound rocker. The 10psi cooker is good for a whole chicken, country ribs, a chuck roast or one pastrami. I like the canner for two or three pastramis or larger volumes like a whole pork butt or a lot of chicken. So, pressure cooking is based on time and pressure + the release method. Most pressure cooker recipes are based on 15psi, so when using my 10psi one I have to go longer than processing times shown in cookbooks. One cookbook calls for cooking a raw corned beef at 15psi for 50 minutes or so, but since I smoke mine to an internal of 150° before finishing I adjusted the time shorter to 40 minutes. Smaller pastrami I'll process for 35 or 37 minutes. The good thing is after they release naturally, I open it up and probe for tenderness. If it's not where I want it, I can lock the lid and be back up to pressure in 3 or 4 minutes. Then I process 4 more minutes and do a second natural release.

Mate, would you mind sharing your pastrami rub and garlic pepper seasoning recipes? I've never made pastrami but was checking out this exact brand of corned beef yesterday at my CostCo.

See below. On this batch I went 50:50 with pastrami rub and garlic pepper seasoning as I was serving to a crowd and did not want it with too heavy of a pepper profile. But if you have both on hand you have unlimited options.

Whats in your rub besides pepper? I have noticed with my pastrami's, corainder never gets pitch black like Katz. People claim its a long steam process, but i think there is some trickery going on with katz and some deli brands like Boars head.

I've seen some really dark pastrami, not sure what is responsible.

Pastrami Rub:

(this recipe makes enough rub to season several corned briskets, any leftover can be stored in a zipper baggie in the freezer for several months)

4 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper (more if you like it peppery)
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon granulated garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
2 teaspoons Canadian/Montreal Steak seasoning
1/2 teaspoon thyme, dried
1 teaspoon paprika
Combine all ingredients and mix thoroughly.

**** My garlic pepper seasonings are lower in salt than store bought garlic pepper blends, plus you can adjust the signature seasonings to dial in a seasoning just the way you like it. ****

thirdeye's All-Purpose Garlic Pepper Seasoning - I use this as a base for many meats adding a layer of a second rub as well.
Ingredients:
3 teaspoons Garlic Powder (I prefer roasted granulated)
3 teaspoons Black Pepper
1 teaspoon Canning Salt
1/2 teaspoon Toasted Onion Powder
1/4 teaspoon Paprika

thirdeye's Sweet Garlic Pepper Seasoning for Pork - I use this a base layer or sometimes just by itself.

Ingredients:
3 teaspoons Garlic Powder (I prefer roasted granulated)
3 teaspoons Black Pepper
1 teaspoon Brown Sugar
1/2 teaspoon Cumin
1 teaspoon Canning Salt
1/2 teaspoon Toasted Onion Powder
1/4 teaspoon Paprika
1/2 teaspoon Red Bell Pepper (ground)

I've seen some really dark pastrami, not sure what is responsible.

Ive noticed this a lot especially in deli roast beef as well as deli pastrami. Even store brand cheap deli meats. You don't really notice that its not "natural" when you buy it sliced, But if you get a big chunk of it, you can really tell. I noticed when i bought a package of the "ends" cause they sell the ends really cheap.

Back