THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thirdeye...it's a very old Chinese trick used on poultry dishes like Peking duck, where the skin is a major feature of the dish. Just take the chicken, whole or parts, and pour boiling water over the skin side only. The boiling water breaks down the bonds in the proteins of skin and greatly aids in rendering. Some dunk the entire piece in boing water, however I don't want the meat to get cooked, so it's skin side only for me. It really does work and I'm surprised it isn't used more in comps.
Here's a link to my original thread..https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=264759

I also use boiling water on the thighs and drum sticks, then the vortex. I salt the chicken and refrigerate for a couple hours, then the boiling water. Crisp skin.

Just wanted to follow up on this recipe. I tried it again, with the exact same results. Totally repeatable and totally awesome. Even the wife liked them and that's saying a lot! Thanks again for the recipe, Thirdeye.

Back