The Skillet

16Adams

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Wagner Sydney O #8. Mom and Dad got this for a wedding present in 1954. It's lived in 4 states 8 homes and survived 4 kids. My earliest recollection of this skillet is making fried bologna and SPAM sandwiches. Graduated to grilled cheese. Mom used it for everything. It was used. She gave it to me 3 years ago. Man it was rough. Took me a month or two to starting the rehab and three weeks to finish. It's last job was catching a leaky connection under the sink. Unused for two decades at least. It spins. Probably my fault years ago getting to hot. I deal with it. It's back to non stick black metal glory. The worst cast iron in my collection holds the most memories. I leave it out and use it often.
Wish I had some bologna

Last edited:
That is awesome. I have a small stainless sauce pan from my late grandmother. I also have a sign that she hung in her kitchen. Love items that bring back memories.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

That's cool! I remember the fried bologna sandwiches myself but never could stand to eat Spam. (I know.. them's fight'n words to some people) Congrats on bringing it back to service again.

Hmmmmm

This was my Grandmothers, then my parents, and I have had it for 15 years. I always assumed it was a knock-off, because it only has the 8, and says 10-1/2 inch skillet on the bottom. It also has a bit of a dome to it. time to re-season it again. This thing makes incredible cornbread.

picture.php

picture.php

Fried bologna is awesome. A step away from the traditional, an FBLT is really good with creamy Italian dressing.

Last edited:
Both Griswold and Wagner have bottom lettering, name brand, pattern # etc. but the number on the handle of a skillet does not correlate to the size of the across the top of the skillet, rather to the bottom diameter so you could match a pan to the "eye" of a wood burning stove. A Griswold #8 is 8-7/8" across the bottom, and 10-5/8" across the top.

8Bj2ThN.jpg

AnubZK5.jpg

Hmmmmm

This was my Grandmothers, then my parents, and I have had it for 15 years. I always assumed it was a knock-off, because it only has the 8, and says 10-1/2 inch skillet on the bottom. It also has a bit of a dome to it. time to re-season it again. This thing makes incredible cornbread.

picture.php

picture.php

Fried bologna is awesome. A step away from the traditional, an FBLT is really good with creamy Italian dressing.

That looks like an unmarked Wagner that was made before about 1960.

I inherited from my grandmother (married in 1936) her pre-1960 unmarked Wagner, probably purchased at the department store where she was employed.

I also have an earlier possible pre-Lodge (Blacklock) which could have came from her mother or mother inlaw. Lodge's foundry is about 60 miles away from her house. Now that Three Rivers cornmeal is back, I'm going to have to re-seasoning and use it for the first batch of cornbread.

here is my prized skillet. Becky said it belonged to her grandmother. it's a Puritan #9. if I remember my research correctly it's made by griswald for Sears and dates over 90 years old.

like thirdeye mentioned the 9 refers to the bottom diameter. the upper diameter is only an inch less than my new lodge 12. I swear its half the weight and slick as Brad pit in a tarantino movie.

I dont know why I even keep the other similar sized skillets around.

mkWSoeNh.jpg

Up2tg5Th.jpg

Just bought a 10 1/2 " lodge Already pre seasoned Have not had one of these for a while It is lighter than ones I have had in the past I reseasoned it again to make sure it was done properly

I love the vintage CI frying pans!

Mine is a no name that my late wife inherited from her Grandma. I use it more than all the others combined.

Since we're always on the lookout of new an unique ways to spend money on cooking toys, I recently developed an interest in cast iron pans and was surprised to learn about all the different techniques people use to season these pans, smooth vs. rough finish, and the hobby of collecting vintage pans. From what I can tell, the "high end" brands are butterpat, Field, Finex, and Stargazer. Lodge also recently came out with their "Blacklock" series, which are also super nice. I recently treated myself to a 10" Stargazer and a 12" Blacklock. Now, in addition to always looking for something to smoke, I'm also looking for something to fry/sear in my cast iron. The sickness continues.... :razz:

Here's the Stargazer:

Here's the 12" Blacklock

Back