The Results

Jeff,

Try those fatties on some homemade biscuits with scrambled eggs and cream cheese!

And don't worry too much about not having a lot of smoke. The good stuff is almost clear. Has a light blue tint to it. A bunch of white smoke is not a good thing.

Are the cooking chambers/fireboxes the same in both Brinkman & Dera?
Big Mo, size is identical (within 1/4"). The b'mann shelf supports run full depth of the smoke box and the waterpan is on a sliding shelf. The C/B 'dera comes with more shelves, better latches and has adjustable shelf tabs in the firebox that the b'mann does not.

Jeff, nice looking smoke ring Bro! You're ready to cook those ribs :D

Thanks! Got the in-laws coming in from Michigan Thursday. Ought to be a lot better weather by then so I'm taking Friday off to cook. I think I'll put in about a hald dozen slabs of BBRs, a brisket, a chicken and some more fatties! Hey, since the rib rack in the BSKD only holds 4 slabs, where do I put the others?? How do you guys handle this? I guess I could lay them flat on a rack.

Jeff_in_KC said:
Thanks! Got the in-laws coming in from Michigan Thursday. Ought to be a lot better weather by then so I'm taking Friday off to cook. I think I'll put in about a hald dozen slabs of BBRs, a brisket, a chicken and some more fatties! Hey, since the rib rack in the BSKD only holds 4 slabs, where do I put the others?? How do you guys handle this? I guess I could lay them flat on a rack.

Bill has the ultimate solution: he has eight shelves. I think he said that he can do 16 slabs at once. But then again, you must take every thing that Bill says with a grain of alcohol, er, I mean salt. :p

Jeff_in_KC said:
Jeff,
I prefer to lay my rigs out on a shelf. But, I have bought 2 extra, so I can handle it. They are like $20/pair from CharBroil. Well worth it! Don't know about the BSKD version, but KC can help with that.
Commercial rib racks work fine (not the Bandera junk).

Be sure to put your poultry at the very bottom!
Higher temps are good for poultry and you do not want the partially cooked drippings coming down on the pork/beef--Food Safety!

Considering cook chamber temps and food safety, I normally load (from the top down):
Beef
Pork (roast type)
Ribs
Poultry.

JMHO

TIM

Jeff, You can roll babybacks into a ring attaching them end to end. I put 2 skewers thru them at 90 degree angles to help in lifting them or turning them. Pin the ends together with toothpicks or throw a loop of bakers twine around them to hold them together. Works like a charm and lets ya put 6-8 racks per shelf.

BBQchef33 said:
Jeff, You can roll babybacks into a ring attaching them end to end. I put 2 skewers thru them at 90 degree angles to help in lifting them or turning them. Pin the ends together with toothpicks or throw a loop of bakers twine around them to hold them together. Works like a charm and lets ya put 6-8 racks per shelf.

Hey now that sounds like a good idea. Might just give that one a try.

kapndsl said:
Jeff_in_KC said:
Jeff,
I prefer to lay my rigs out on a shelf. But, I have bought 2 extra, so I can handle it. They are like $20/pair from CharBroil. Well worth it! Don't know about the BSKD version, but KC can help with that.
Commercial rib racks work fine (not the Bandera junk).

Be sure to put your poultry at the very bottom!
Higher temps are good for poultry and you do not want the partially cooked drippings coming down on the pork/beef--Food Safety!

Considering cook chamber temps and food safety, I normally load (from the top down):
Beef
Pork (roast type)
Ribs
Poultry.

JMHO

TIM

So you'd put a 7 pound brisket at the top? Seemed to me it ought to go lower. Don't know why except that it will probably take longer than the BBs won't it?

So you'd put a 7 pound brisket at the top? Seemed to me it ought to go lower. Don't know why except that it will probably take longer than the BBs won't it?

Absolutely--for all the reasons I listed.
I put full packers on top.

Time is not the issue with good Que- quality and safety is.

If you need to pull them at the same time for some reason- just put the beef on to cook earlier.

TIM

Hey, since the rib rack in the BSKD only holds 4 slabs, where do I put the others?? How do you guys handle this? I guess I could lay them flat on a rack.
The b'mann rib rack will work fine until wrap time on the ribs. then you need to go flat with them. With a bit of coordination you should be able to have the brisket wrapped and in the oven finishing or maybe coolered by time to wrap the ribs.

Tim's stacking order is Right-On,.

For an extra shelf I trimmed the "legs" on the firebox cooking grate and shortened it by a couple wires. It's a bit narrow so it sits best on a couple of the skewers or hanging rods. The skewers and hanging rods will allow most anything to serve as an extra shelf, I've even set ribracks directly on them too. The rib rack shelf also makes another extra shelf support too, just flip it over.
Best of Luck!!!

willkat98 said:
Spartacus has a Tiki torch up his ass

pass it on
Who's the Duck? Nice one, Phil! Jeff, looks like you did well my friend. From now on, your addicted! Is that an "Angler Ale" in your hand?

Nice job there Buddy!

One thing about us MoFos, we know how to handle our sausage!

TK, can you get a smoke ring around Tofu like that???

jeffsasmokin said:
willkat98 said:
Spartacus has a Tiki torch up his ass

pass it on
Who's the Duck? Nice one, Phil! Jeff, looks like you did well my friend. From now on, your addicted! Is that an "Angler Ale" in your hand?

No, actually, it's just an MGD. I'm all out of my homebrew! It's a sin, I know! I gotta get busy brewing another batch soon! I'm thinking of starting to keg it because bottling is a royal pain in the ass!

Back