The PK360 Workout

HogGrog

Babbling Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Greg
Hola, new poster, love this place...

About 3 weeks ago I scored on CL and picked up a very slightly used PK360 for a good price. Since then I have been putting it to work as both a grill and a smoker, and I am impressed with its capabilities.

As a grill it functions as expected, most excellent, and is the primary reason I purchased the PK. It can produce a great sear and multiple zone cooking is easily managed. I dig the 4-way vent system, it makes it easy to manage the fire and provides excellent temperature control, including reducing temp. Just don't use the charcoal basket (accessory) to grill with, temps won't get nearly as hot as it would without using it.

Despite its size limitations, I was surprised at how well the PK performed as a smoker. Use the relatively small charcoal basket mentioned above for smoking, load it up and it will run 225 to 300 for 3 hours plus or minus depending on vent settings and how the coals are started.

I don't like the ash cleanup/removal, sweeping out ash every second or third cook using a paintbrush to sweep on/around an irregular surface and into a 2-inch hole (remove plug) to be collected in whatever you put beneath is messy and, to me could be improved. Using a battery operated hand held vacuum to get the ash out of the crevices helps.

I really like that the charcoal access flip grate is easily removable, allowing large wood chunks/mini splits to fit. I also like that I can easily fit my cast iron skillets and small dutch ovens, and that my old BGE extended grid fits on the cooking grate and works well as a raised grid.

Attached are a few pics of some cooks last weekend, that's bologna not a nekkid fatty, sorry brethren. Thanks for having me!

Attachments

• IMG_5861.jpg
    IMG_5861.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 259
  • IMG_5876.jpg
    IMG_5876.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 255
  • IMG_5879.jpg
    IMG_5879.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 253
  • IMG_5885.jpg
    IMG_5885.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 253
  • IMG_5886.jpg
    IMG_5886.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 254
  • IMG_5891.jpg
    IMG_5891.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 253
  • IMG_5880.jpg
    IMG_5880.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 255
Fantastic pics, nice CL score :thumb: My sister bought a 360 and I'll finally be able to check it out tomorrow :clap2:

So, your the one that scored that 360...lol. I saw the ad and couldn't believe what a good deal was awaiting someone. I would have snatched it up in a heartbeat if I had room for it.

Looks like you are off to a fantastic start with it :)

I just picked one up on Craigslist as well. Agree on all your points good and bad. A couple things to add- I feel comfortable cooking on it on my wooden deck. I can get any of my Weber's with a one-touch system up and cooking much quicker with a couple of flicks of the ash sweeps, like you said it's a bit of a pain to clear the ashes on the PK.

The PK is so heavy and solid I feel comfortable cooking on it on the deck but I wouldn't on my Weber kettles.

Cooked some crabmeat stuffed avocados last night came out great- https://northeastbbq.com/2017/08/26/avocado-stuffed-with-crabmeat-topped-with-panko-on-the-pkgrills-pk360/

HogGrog - congrats and kudos on those cooks. Looks as if you've hit the ground running. I love smoked bologna; it's the perfect beginning for great bologna Sammie's! Very nicely done.

For ash cleanout, Home Depot sells a smaller metal bucket that I hang on the rear hooks and it sits under the clean out hole. I use a small wisk broom and it doesn't take much time to empty the ash. Not as fast as the one touch on the Weber but fast enough for me.

Congrats on the new grill.

Back