The Outage

You will get an E-Mail indicatng that your subscription will expire soon.

Or you can go into your user CP, on the upper left of the top menu and then at the bottom click on Paid Subscriptions and it will show your info so you can be proactive.

I wondered why my star was gone, I'll fix that as soon as I can get it approved with the finance department (wifey). Sorry to be taking without giving back:icon_blush:

Got my first subscription in September, liked the site so much I got myself a bottle of Cabo November 27 even though I had almost a year left.

Just sent in my subscription. The suggestions, knowledge and friendly help available here are worth far more than my small pittance.

Sterling Skouson

I lurked around Summer 2009 then got wrapped up in work and all that nonsense. Popped back in in Jan of this yer and id my subscription. I'll definitel work to keep mine up to date to make certain I can continue getting the info i can get from this site. It is Priceless.

If I were to believe all the comments to the Prom I've posted, I'd be de-throning Plowboy.
But I know better.
I would be nothing without this Brethren. If you look at my join date, I am a rookie, but when I fire up the smoker, I have done it dozens of times with the Brethren. The good, the great, and the what the fark was I thinking!
I think it took me 2 weeks to subscribe!
Just a quick share. A group were chatting the one night watching BBQ Pitmasters. I was chatting as were others I did not know. When Plowboy was announced and we were chatting with Plowboy it was WOW!
Thank you all and God Bless!

Thanks to everyone who helps keep us up and running. March is one of the months the bills hit and I have to make a payment to our server support guy this month and in Sept. hes the one that gets out of bed at 2am if our server crashes.

The outage last night was due to a very huge DOS(Denial of Service) attack to the extent of over 700Mb/sec being pumped into our subnet. The server had to be taken offline to protect it and the network restarted. Our server was fine, but the providers network was under attack.

We may be forced to move to another provider in the near future and this may increase our costs four fold since we will be starting with new contracts and not having grandfather pricing as we do now. I am looking into revenue streams to offset the increased cost with minimal impact to the forum. This is not a definite, but may happen if or when our existing provider sells out. Our new home will be state of the art, with a guarantee of 99.99 uptime and 30 minute server replacement in the case of hardware failure. Our partener sites have already moved. The expectations are high, and we get what we pay for.

Again i truly thank everyone who contributes to the forum to help keep us up and running.

Thanks to everyone who helps keep us up and running. March is one of the months the bills hit and I have to make a payment to our server support guy this month and in Sept. hes the one that gets out of bed at 2am if our server crashes.

The outage last night was due to a very huge DOS(Denial of Service) attack to the extent of over 700Mb/sec being pumped into our subnet. The server had to be taken offline to protect it and the network restarted. Our server was fine, but the providers network was under attack.

We may be forced to move to another provider in the near future and this may increase our costs four fold since we will be starting with new contracts and not having grandfather pricing as we do now. I am looking into revenue streams to offset the increased cost with minimal impact to the forum. This is not a definite, but may happen if or when our existing provider sells out. Our new home will be state of the art, with a guarantee of 99.99 uptime and 30 minute server replacement in the case of hardware failure. Our partener sites have already moved. The expectations are high, and we get what we pay for.

Again i truly thank everyone who contributes to the forum to help keep us up and running.

unfortunately the only real way to deal with that is to get an upstream provider who will filter when that crap happens.

you can't win by bandwidth, and you can't win by more servers. if it truly is a DDoS, then you must be close friends with your hosting provider. Cisco has some products they can use, but there truly isn't anything you can do against a real DDoS--except move hosts.

Some hosts can prevent up to 10 gigabit DDoS's (the largest I've personally talked to thrwarted a 7gb attack), but they are hard to find and quite expensive.

Personally, I like Hurricane Electric (he.net), but if you don't live in California and don't want an actual rack, then it's the wrong thing.

I came here a neophyte with BBQ and Smoking looking for a cheap way to get a smoker and eat good Q. I stuckm around a few weeks and the Brethren here helped me on my way to building my UDS. I learned, I put what I learned into practice, Im STILL learning everytime I open this site. That is why I paid my subscription two weeks ago. The info I have gathered in the few months that I have been here has more than made my subscription pay for itself. Hell, I got $25.00 worth of learning done on the first DAY!

Do what you can to keep this site running smooth. Buy a subscription or just donat to the cause whatever you can.

I just re-upped. I woulda done it sooner, but I didn't get a reminder. Thanks to tx for the gentle nudge.

On a slightly different subject:

I received my order from our store today:

3- T-Shirts
1- Cooking Apron
1- Journal

The journal will come in handy in August, when I take Myron's class: it's a perfect notebook.

The apron, and t-shirts are all high-quality. Good way to support the cause too, buy some stuff. You won't be sorry!

I purchased a subscription after I finished my UDS. It was the least I could do after this site saved me a lot money. I joined this site doing research to purchase a smoker when I stumbled across the mother of all UDS thread. Now I have a smoker that meets my needs for much less than what I would have spent for a smoker at retail prices and it works just as good if not better. The best part is I built it with my two hands. The wealth of knowledge here is undeniable. I learn something everyday from this site.

Back