The old Kettle score

**Hijack** Another Kettle score!

Great deal jdub!

I saw a kettle in the scrap metal bin at work, and told myself to leave it there as I sure as hell don't need it! I asked my co-workers if anyone wanted it and they didn't, so halfway through my shift I fished it out and it was in pretty decent shape.

100_3072.jpg

It is a 30+ year old 18.5" Bar-B-Q-Kettle, the wood handle is in very good condition (2 rivets) No date stamp and the ash pan is in good shape too!

100_3071.jpg

Its got the 3 hole daisy vents in the bowl and they all work, its got a few rust spots, but all in all it probably got more scratches from the farker tossing in the heap. It cleaned up pretty good-one of the nicer oldies I've come across.

100_3073.jpg

The only way I cold score a kettle in my area would be to post it on CL and then buy it from myself!:-D
The people I'm house sitting for have an old, red, 18.5 BB Kettle that I hope to score if he wants to get rid of it. Thing hasn't been used in ages.

Nice Score.

You need to check out Freecycle. I read this thread last week and decided to post and look for FREE kettles. after 4 days, I have 2ea 22 1/2" for UDS stock and one 18" my Son in Law grabbed for the wrong reason that is just too nice to not use. I turned down one 22 1/2" because the drive was too far and am waiting on another.

Freecycle is a yahoo Group that is in damned near every community

You need to check out Freecycle. I read this thread last week and decided to post and look for FREE kettles. after 4 days, I have 2ea 22 1/2" for UDS stock and one 18" my Son in Law grabbed for the wrong reason that is just too nice to not use. I turned down one 22 1/2" because the drive was too far and am waiting on another.

Freecycle is a yahoo Group that is in damned near every community

I had totally forgotten about FC. I put in a trade offer about 20 minutes ago, some leftover pieces of flagstone I have in trade for a 22 kettle or a smoker and I already have a guy interested. I'm waiting for him to respond with his offer. Thanks.

Ok, now I feel like I need to find a good score! I already have a 22 kettle, about 6 years old. So, I don't "need" another one. Perfect reason to pick another one up!

Did a quick Craigslist search: someone in my neck of the woods has a nice kettle for $30 cash. Now, that's a plenty good deal, but sure would be nice to really make a "score" on an older model.

Ok, now I feel like I need to find a good score! I already have a 22 kettle, about 6 years old. So, I don't "need" another one. Perfect reason to pick another one up!

Did a quick Craigslist search: someone in my neck of the woods has a nice kettle for $30 cash. Now, that's a plenty good deal, but sure would be nice to really make a "score" on an older model.

I'd tell 'em 20 and it's gone. Could be a sacrificial kettle for a UDS with the patented Swamprb flange mod!

I had totally forgotten about FC. I put in a trade offer about 20 minutes ago, some leftover pieces of flagstone I have in trade for a 22 kettle or a smoker and I already have a guy interested. I'm waiting for him to respond with his offer. Thanks.

Freecycle is kind of like a Homie Depot for the Macguyver clan... Its amazing what you can score off of there... My favorites are a complete Shopsmith Mk 5, an 8' Pool Table complete with cues, racks and 2 sets of balls, and an old Sawsmith
(radial arm saw on steriods made by shopsmith in the early 60's)

The main thing is you gotta look at it every day and be prepared to go and get it or know someone in that area who will for you, When my son and I moved out from the wife, we damned near furnished the house with stuff off of there. HINT: register in the nearby "Yuppiefied" areas, you will be amazed at what people want to get rid of without the bother of selling off. It aint scavenging, in this day and age it is called being practical.

Freecycle is kind of like a Homie Depot for the Macguyver clan... Its amazing what you can score off of there... My favorites are a complete Shopsmith Mk 5, an 8' Pool Table complete with cues, racks and 2 sets of balls, and an old Sawsmith

The main thing is you gotta look at it every day and be prepared to go and get it or know someone in that area who will for you, When my son and I moved out from the wife, we damned near furnished the house with stuff off of there. HINT: register in the nearby "Yuppiefied" areas, you will be amazed at what people want to get rid of without the bother of selling off. It aint scavenging, in this day and age it is called being practical.

I've had three people respond............NONE of them have read the word TRADE in my ad. I see it this way, I want a FREE grill or smoker and I'm willing to give some FREE flagstone in return. I don't know, maybe I am wrong. Check out this ladies e-mail.......

"I'm interested in the flagstones. Let me know when I can pick them up
if they are still available. And remember that you can't ask for
trade, since this is freecycle, everything is free."

I told her, "Good luck picking them up! If you have a free grill for me, then I have free stones for you."

She hasn't responded.

I even checked to see if trading was allowed, and ther were lots of other ads asking for trades, so I'm not the only one. I figure if I offer something in return, I'll get what I'm looking for sooner. It's a win, win. Am I being an arsehole and totally farking up what Freecycle is all about? Seriously, let me know. I think this thread was hijacked a while ago, wasn't it.

seems fair to me...

heck...tell her its free if she can find your house.

but in order to find your house need to give her a free grill to have the address.

By this do mean, geographical areas? I agree, there is some nice stuff on there.

Back