The Official Stickburner Thread

Over 2 months since the last post in this thread until today? Us stick burners are slackin. Probably too busy feeding sticks to post on the internet :becky:

I just rolled my Shirley out of the garage for the first time this year yesterday....sad. I hope to fire it up sometime in the next week.

This may be in the wrong place but I need to know if any folks have a Klose Grill Chef. I love my Jambo but my new kitchen area isn’t designed for it. Really need info from people that have one or cooked on one. I would have the firebox door put on the same side as the lid opens. I just have always been fascinated with what looks like the perfect cooker ( i know there isn’t one). Anyway.....please PM me or put it on here if it’s appropriate. Thanks.

Over 2 months since the last post in this thread until today? Us stick burners are slackin. Probably too busy feeding sticks to post on the internet :becky:

I just rolled my Shirley out of the garage for the first time this year yesterday....sad. I hope to fire it up sometime in the next week.

I always forget about this thread. Here's some pics of different cooks on my stickburner this year. Did a pork loin roast this weekend but forgot to take pics :blah::blah:

7ae79c695369eec299641e135d3eacb7.jpg

2aa32f12c92d2aad5247424443c0cac6.jpg

da130a13e813421a3cf4069580ec52af.jpg

a93a0c0b7ffce7fb159f0b8012c81de4.jpg

fawn loin roast that came out stellar:

1462efb7d417d66574b01fdb50eaa6d1.jpg

c55bcae5e2207f9b2c1281a4a148221e.jpg

4b167e03daed7af83c2f263a55b40049.jpg

Starting 3rd season on a modest size 36" Lang Patio.

Scott

Attachments

• 20170725_201505.jpg
    20170725_201505.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 291
I have joined the stickburner family. Added a Craigslist find Oklahoma Joe Highland Reverse Flow. It joins a 22" Weber Kettle, 18" WSM and a Myron Mixon G20 gravity fed on my patio.

I love the other cookers, but they are far too easy to use. With the weather warming up, I want a few of those days to sit with amigos out on the patio with some adult wiggily pops and feed sticks into the smoker every once in a while.

Excited to fire it up on Friday to burn something in it, then give some ribs a going on Saturday.

okjoe1.jpg

That's a very nice Craigslist find! It appears as if it's almost new. I'm beginning to find
myself in your shoes...I have a cabinet smoker but am looking around for an offset.
Enjoy your new cooker.

That's a very nice Craigslist find! It appears as if it's almost new. I'm beginning to find
myself in your shoes...I have a cabinet smoker but am looking around for an offset.
Enjoy your new cooker.

What’s your budget? I’m always watching Facebook and Craigslist for deals. Lots of OKJ and OC out there cheap. Yoder out there too recently.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/311849122861854/
https://stlouis.craigslist.org/for/d/saint-peters-offset-smoker/6849130814.html
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/566779107061091/

Last edited:
Second Try.
This looks better.

Loosely followed Malcolm Reed's pork belly burnt ends utubes vid.
Ended up about 5 hours total, 2 1/2 initial smoke, 1 1/2 in the pan with butter, honey and brown sugar, then drained and sauced and another hour unwrapped. Same for the ribs. Threw a couple of sweet onions in the firebox for the last hour as well.
My 1st attempt at pork belly, it won't be my last!

Last edited:
I have joined the stickburner family. Added a Craigslist find Oklahoma Joe Highland Reverse Flow.
I love the other cookers, but they are far too easy to use.

I just bought one new two weeks ago direct from OKJ to learn stickburning on. Been running fires only in it since, no food yet. You have any tricks to keep the temp consistent in this thing, please let me know. I really didn't want to spend $1800+ on my first smoker, but I'm almost wishing I did now.

You have any tricks to keep the temp consistent in this thing, please let me know. QUOTE]

BigTime, I know the question wasn't directed to me, but I've got a few minutes with nothing to do so here's my .02.
Hopefully I'm not being too basic or coming across as a know it all, because I don't! Just ask my wife!
I'm certainly no expert, but have learned a little bit over the years.
I imagine the OKJ would behave similarly to my ECB.
First, what kind of temp swings are you seeing? 25 to 50 degrees is nothing to be concerned about. 75 to 100, well, then you've got cause to worry.
I typically shoot for 225* to 250*, but if I'm running over 200 and under 275, I'm happy.
A couple of basic practices, make small adjustments to your vents and wait to see what affect it has.
Making big adjustments opening and closing vents will have you chasing your tail trying to hold a temp.
I run with my top vent wide open and the firebox 1/4 to 1/2 open most of the time.

Once you have a feel for how long your fuel is going to last, start your coals or splits burning before you add them to your firebox. I use my Weber kettle and a chimney for this.
Works great and not nearly as much temp fluctuation, just open the door, drop in more fire and go.

The big thing to remember, you're doing this for enjoyment, so figure out what works for you and get your area and equipment set up to your liking. The more enjoyable it is for you, the more you'll want to use your smoker, the easier it will get and the better your Q will be.
Hopefully something in my ramblings will be of some help!
Terry

You have any tricks to keep the temp consistent in this thing, please let me know. QUOTE]

BigTime, I know the question wasn't directed to me, but I've got a few minutes with nothing to do so here's my .02.
Hopefully I'm not being too basic or coming across as a know it all, because I don't! Just ask my wife!
I'm certainly no expert, but have learned a little bit over the years.
I imagine the OKJ would behave similarly to my ECB.
First, what kind of temp swings are you seeing? 25 to 50 degrees is nothing to be concerned about. 75 to 100, well, then you've got cause to worry.
I typically shoot for 225* to 250*, but if I'm running over 200 and under 275, I'm happy.
A couple of basic practices, make small adjustments to your vents and wait to see what affect it has.
Making big adjustments opening and closing vents will have you chasing your tail trying to hold a temp.
I run with my top vent wide open and the firebox 1/4 to 1/2 open most of the time.

Once you have a feel for how long your fuel is going to last, start your coals or splits burning before you add them to your firebox. I use my Weber kettle and a chimney for this.
Works great and not nearly as much temp fluctuation, just open the door, drop in more fire and go.

The big thing to remember, you're doing this for enjoyment, so figure out what works for you and get your area and equipment set up to your liking. The more enjoyable it is for you, the more you'll want to use your smoker, the easier it will get and the better your Q will be.
Hopefully something in my ramblings will be of some help!
Terry

Hey Terry, thx! Yeah the temp swings were 50-60 degrees on it. I think it's a combo of crappy wood and sticks that are too big that's causing my dilemma. I just got an order of hickory from Vaughn Wood Products in the other day. I'm gonna cut the sticks in half so they're beer can size and see how that helps with the size of the fire. I've been on vaca for the last two weeks playing around with it, so now I can't experiment again until this weekend.

Prodrvr - I have an older Oklahoma Joe. I leave the firebox door and the exhaust open, then adjust the temperature with the size of the fire. Using smaller splits makes this easier than large ones. I also preheat my wood on top of the fire box.

I just bought one new two weeks ago direct from OKJ to learn stickburning on. Been running fires only in it since, no food yet. You have any tricks to keep the temp consistent in this thing, please let me know. I really didn't want to spend $1800+ on my first smoker, but I'm almost wishing I did now.

You don’t run Consistent temps in a stick burner. You cook in a temp range. On cheaper smokers +/- 25-30°- 50 to 60° temp swings is normal. You want to average 275*- you throw a split on at 240/250* , it climbs the 300/310*and slowly drops back to 240/250* , repeat as needed every 30-45 minutes- - averaging 275*.

If you want tighter temp swings -cut your wood down smaller and add more often like every 20 minutes.......

If you want to run steady temps - get a charcoal smoker like a WSM, UDS or other drum smoker, insulated cabinet smoker, pit barrel cooker or something......

Last edited:
^^^ this, a properly run stick burner's temps should look like a sine wave, once you get to know it you should be able to keep it within consistent peaks, valleys, and median temps. 275* cooking for me usually means 250* valleys and 300* peaks, with a consistent amount of time between peaks or valleys.

Back