THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

After all the turkey and ham, I needed some other protein so stopped by publix and got some 1 1/2lb bone in ribeyes for and the 11 year old and the wife a fillet. It was too late to defrost what I had in the freezer....Smoked for about an hour and then seared...got a little side tracked with the Red and also failed to clean the grill after a rib cook earlier in the week.....and over cooked them to medium (I’m definitely a MR guy):(. I didn’t even bother a with a sliced pic:). Oh well...fire it up another day!

b9bb2918117e104dd0672e1a1c231e5e.jpg

77cbc20ba4e2b61600e08e89412edce9.jpg

534525edc7cbc4f1e7bfec32e8a5cf88.jpg

Memphis Elite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Wow. Looks awesome for any grill let alone a pellet fired one.

Can a MAK do that with the Flame Zone ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, I’ve tried it a few times at 650 and 700 and grate temps were over 943....if doing a reverse sear it only needs about 20-30 seconds a side at those temps....Memphis really needs another inch or two between the grate and the fire if doing those temps IMO...I hardly ever do that anymore:)

Memphis Elite

Wow. Looks awesome for any grill let alone a pellet fired one.

Can a MAK do that with the Flame Zone ?

Close but no from what I read. Memphis is in a league of its own when it comes to grilling. Smoking is more the Mak’s specialty.

Close but no from what I read. Memphis is in a league of its own when it comes to grilling. Smoking is more the Mak’s specialty.

Phew....had you said yes I’d of been down another 400 dollars come Monday.

Lol. Memphis is at the top for grilling (with pellets) imo....as BKing notes, MAK likely has more smoke production for bbq. That’s why I want the mini Mak to come out so I can get it for the camper and try it out:).

Memphis Elite

NYC ‘Que;4100372 said:

I’m fighting the urge to get a flame zone myself. Honestly a flat top surface on top of the grill grates will give you plenty of a sear. Conduction heat is greater than radiant heat for searing after all anyway. I’ve been using the flat surface of my grill grates and they work ok. Not as pretty as gtsums work though

Last edited:
No way can the MAK sear like the Memphis. I will say that the MAK (w/ MAK sear grates) makes for a fantastic everyday grill. We do a lot of grilling on our MAK.
ff9343057d5e32c41a1723cb1fb13dac.jpg

If I wanna sear like the Memphis, it’s all about lump charcoal and my kettle.

No way can the MAK sear like the Memphis. I will say that the MAK (w/ MAK sear grates) makes for a fantastic everyday grill. We do a lot of grilling on our MAK.
ff9343057d5e32c41a1723cb1fb13dac.jpg

If I wanna sear like the Memphis, it’s all about lump charcoal and my kettle.

Those are some really nice looking burgers....very uniform and even cook it looks like

Memphis Elite

Those are some really nice looking burgers....very uniform and even cook it looks like

Memphis Elite

Thanks bud! That is why the MAK works for me. It cooks much like a gas grill for easy weeknight grilling.

Damn that looks good! Any idea how hot the grates were for that cook?

Memphis Elite

I’m guessing at least 650 deg. The steak was rare on the inside and still got a dark crust on the outside. Flat top cooking is definitely my preferred way to cook. It’s fun and the results are always good.

After the burn in I shut it down and let it come back to ambient temps (40° with 34° windchill.)

Started it back up for a biscuit test, after it did it’s start up procedure and came to 150° I timed it from 150° to the 350° that I set for the biscuit test. I must say I was IMPRESSED!!! That climbs faster than Waylon with a load of charcoal!

The biscuit test was very interesting and not what I expected! Hard to tell from the pic but the center was the coolest and the edges were the hottest! The exhaust end being the hottest of all. Gonna re adjust the heat shield and see if I can’t even it out from end to end a bit, but first, gotta go get some more 2 for a dollar biscuits!

YALL Check this OUT!!!!

Same timing same temperatures, the heat shield slid to the right by 1” is ALL!!!

Here’s right side up....

Here’s the corner biscuits turned upside down...

I’m WAAAAYYYYY impressed with the evenness!!!

Next I’ve gotta build a top rack for it so we can cook two pizzas at once!

Back