THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Whats going on, spent the last few weeks reading 180 pgs of this thread. Looking a new toy anyone have information on the ABS Pitboss Pellet? The other smoker I am looking at is the P&S 1250. I know most people here have a Mak and everything looks amazing but I would like something larger, usually cooking for 4 and over the summer I cook for about 10.

https://www.waltonsinc.com/abs-pit-boss-smoker-and-grill-with-pellet-system

Take a look at the Assassin 48” Pellet grill. I have 36” and love it.

The Mak is def. a great pellet grill and is a wonderful all around grill from what I've seen. The 3 grills I keep going back to are the Mak 2 Star, P&S 1250 and the Assassin 48, then a few days ago I stumbled on The ABS Pitboss is a rotisserie Pellet smoker with a separate grilling area, haven't seen or heard a lot of information on them so I figured ill try on this here to get some information/help.

Whats going on, spent the last few weeks reading 180 pgs of this thread. Looking a new toy anyone have information on the ABS Pitboss Pellet? The other smoker I am looking at is the P&S 1250. I know most people here have a Mak and everything looks amazing but I would like something larger, usually cooking for 4 and over the summer I cook for about 10.

https://www.waltonsinc.com/abs-pit-boss-smoker-and-grill-with-pellet-system

Unless you're cooking multiple foods at differing temperatures, and serving all of the guest appetizers and entrees yourself or with very limited help, well then you ought not have any trouble at all, shouldn't even break a sweat, cooking for 10 on that rig.

That thing is impressive.

Am I the only one that's a little leery of manufacturers that just stick a pellet hopper and a controller onto their existing charcoal or wood grills/smokers to cash in on the popularity of pellets grills these days?

If you look at MAK, Yoder, or Cookshack to name a few, they specifically designed their Pellet Grills/Smokers to work with pellets, not taking a wood/charcoal grill and converting it to pellets.

Assassin makes great grills and smokers, but how much thought was put into the design of hanging a hopper off of their existing grill? Gator Pits actually brags about their 1/4" steel, but how long does that bad boy take to heat up with a small pellet fire! Have not seen a Pits and Spits in person, but you get the jist….

My FEC-100 might be a poor design for a stickburner, but it excels as a pellet cooker which is what it was meant to be. Fully insulated stainless steel that retains heat and does not require a large fire to be effective.

Flameout, firebox overflowed with pellets, re-ignited and fire and lots of dirty smoke. Second time in a row cooking at 225... I've changed pellets out completely now and tomorrow I will do a round of testing to decide if it was bad pellets or if it's a component. It kept rock steady at 250 after thatbb

Luckily caught it right away and saved the food. Actually made the best ribs I ever have.

Starting to wonder if this is common w/ Traeger as I have 2 friends with T’s and both have experienced the same thing you just described.

The Mak is def. a great pellet grill and is a wonderful all around grill from what I've seen. The 3 grills I keep going back to are the Mak 2 Star, P&S 1250 and the Assassin 48, then a few days ago I stumbled on The ABS Pitboss is a rotisserie Pellet smoker with a separate grilling area, haven't seen or heard a lot of information on them so I figured ill try on this here to get some information/help.

That ABS Pitboss is impressive. However, like Bacchus2b said, I'd be a bit leery of how well the pellet attachment works. That would be a lot of dough to spend to find out that it doesn't work all that well. Also, notice the sizes of meat stated: butts at 6-7#, whole briskets at 9-12#, STL ribs 2.25#. All of these are pretty small, so I'd wonder a bit about rack-to-rack clearance.

The other thing is that as you get bigger, you fuel bill will also get bigger. Something of that size is going to run though a fair bit of wood/charcoal/pellets. I would probably go the route of either 2 medium size cookers or 1 small and 1 large, for when you have a bigger event. I'd say the Pit-Boss is a bit large for your needs.

Don't know where you get your info on who has what lol,the copperhead 5-7 holds a bunch of food lol I have the PB AustinLX and it works great also,the food shown looks great,no matter what machine you use it can make great food with some practice

I really like my PB Copperhead 5. I bought it on Walmart clearance for $109 but I would pay full price for it after having used it. I really like it. It's a big smoker with about 1,700 sq inches cooking area and 60 lb hopper capacity. It's just a smoker so it won't grill but for pure smoking capacity, it's hard to beat for the price. Costco has Louisiana pellet smoker that's same as Copperhead 7 for $450 in-store and $599 online and that has over 2,000 sq inches cooking area. That would be my choice if I needed large smoker. Then add $300 26" Weber kettle for any grilling needs and I think that combo is hard to beat for under $1,000.

...Then add $300 26" Weber kettle for any grilling needs and I think that combo is hard to beat for under $1,000.

With all of the recent positive praise I have seen for the copperhead, I couldn’t agree more… those two cookers seem like they would make a fantastic tagteam :)

I grilled on my MAK all weekend. Didn’t miss my Weber kettle for a second.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don’t think I’ve had a fire in my kettle in the past 2 weeks now. My MAK is definitely my daily driver, but starting to get the jitters. Thinking I need a quick lump fix [emoji27]

Last edited:
a MAK turkey
VDRLWJKh.jpg

I ordered a MAK 1 Star last Friday from Big Poppa Smokers. Also ordered the flamezone and WiFi. I’m excited for it to arrive so get in on this BBQ.

Ditto congrats. Now just waiting for this bad boy to arrive. That reminds me i need to order some actual pellets. Im told Lumberjack i the best?

Congrats guys! Can’t wait to see you two receive and put your new MAK’s to use :)

Yep, LJ pellets are great. I have also used and really like Cookin’ Pellets. There are some other great brands (B&B mentioned above), but these are the only two that I have experience with.

I upgraded from a Traeger Lil Tex to the YS640 earlier this year. So far I have done a bunch of shorter cooks on the YS640 and as expected, it's pellet consumption is higher then the much smaller Traeger.

This weekend, I had the YS640 running for about 20 hours for an overnight brisket, ribs, nachos and mac & cheese. I was looking at the pellet consumption and I think I used about 1 bag which is very similar to what I would need on the Traeger, maybe a bit more. It takes longer to heat up the YS640 but it retains heat much better.

15.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

Back