The Official Pellet Grill Smoker thread.

Good lord that’s crazy. I’ve gotten the 40 dollar ones from amazon and they easily lasted me 5 plus years.

I know... I’ve never spent this much $ on a cover before. I’ve also never had a cover last 5 years and still be in one piece. I typically buy a cover every other year and spend $50-80 dollars. My last cover was a MAK branded cover which set me back $100. I am hoping this will be the last cover I buy for MANY years to come.

Brisket turned out great! Didn't take many pics, but here are some:

Fits nicely on the DB.
46863390275_481097258a_z_d.jpg

Came out nice and juicy.
46863393735_36f37b7586_z_d.jpg

Burnt Ends
46990521814_e5dc3f9cf2_z_d.jpg

My Plate
46990526524_fb92b39b30_z_d.jpg

Used Lumberjack 100% Hickory. Cooked at 225 for 8 hours, wrapped in foil and bumped up the temp to 275 for 2 hours. My usual in the WSM is 4-5 hours at 275-300, 2 hours in foil at same temp. Did not have the same smoke profile but I really liked the overall taste and smoke profile it DID have. I would be proud to serve this to anybody.

Nicely done! How would you describe the taste difference between pellets and the WSM? To me pellets provide a very clean and pleasant flavor. The WSM is good, but definitely more intense... easy to overdo in my opinion. I know that is subjective, that’s why I ask :)

I know... I’ve never spent this much $ on a cover before. I’ve also never had a cover last 5 years and still be in one piece. I typically buy a cover every other year and spend $50-80 dollars. My last cover was a MAK branded cover which set me back $100. I am hoping this will be the last cover I buy for MANY years to come.

The cover is the one thing that disappointed me about Mak. When I bought my 1-star about 18 months ago, they were out of covers for 3-4 months due to a redesign. So I had to let it sit outside uncovered. When finally in stock I ordered one and it is terrible. Designed to fit with a side-shelf, which I didnt buy, so it hangs like a giant sack and doesn’t fit well. Blew off in the breeze one night after I cinched it down as tight as possible. And I live in SoCal now — don’t know how long it would have lasted if I was back in Tx. . . .

So I recommend using covers by other makers, as discussed.

I just dropped $150 on the new style Yoder cover so we will see how much of an improvement it is. From what I’ve read it’s basically water tight but we will have to see

Nicely done! How would you describe the taste difference between pellets and the WSM? To me pellets provide a very clean and pleasant flavor. The WSM is good, but definitely more intense... easy to overdo in my opinion. I know that is subjective, that’s why I ask :)
The WSM is obviously a stronger smoke; pellets are more subtle. When my wife and I tried the brisket yesterday, we both thought it tasted great. If I had cooked it on the WSM, it would have been "smokier" but it would still have tasted great. Just different.

More Dry Rub Ribs!

Still working on perfecting a savory dry rub rib, and it's going pretty well! Basically SPOG, secret ingredients, and 16 mesh black pepper.

Normally I run 50/50 Hickory and Cherry BB Pellets in my FEC-100 (which I believe are just re-branded BBQ Delight pellets), but I ran out of Hickory and had a bag of Pecan sitting there so I decided to try a 50/50 Pecan and Cherry blend.

What a terrific smell! I enjoy most smoke smells, but the Pecan/Cherry mix was simply intoxicating. Just give me a chair and a beer and I could sit there all day long with my dog, the two of us sniffing in unison!

Great color and flavor, who says that you can't get a good smoke ring with pellets!

Dry Rub Rib Sliced 5-19 by David Miller, on Flickr

Dry Rub Spares 5-19 by David Miller, on Flickr

Still working on perfecting a savory dry rub rib, and it's going pretty well! Basically SPOG, secret ingredients, and 16 mesh black pepper.

Normally I run 50/50 Hickory and Cherry BB Pellets in my FEC-100 (which I believe are just re-branded BBQ Delight pellets), but I ran out of Hickory and had a bag of Pecan sitting there so I decided to try a 50/50 Pecan and Cherry blend.

What a terrific smell! I enjoy most smoke smells, but the Pecan/Cherry mix was simply intoxicating. Just give me a chair and a beer and I could sit there all day long with my dog, the two of us sniffing in unison!

Great color and flavor, who says that you can't get a good smoke ring with pellets!

Dry Rub Rib Sliced 5-19 by David Miller, on Flickr

Dry Rub Spares 5-19 by David Miller, on Flickr

Those look fantastic!

Memphis Elite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

BBQ Delight is what Yoder recommends. I got some with my smoker. They were good pellets, but I prefer Lumberjack, and I can get them much cheaper. B&B is a relabel of BBQ Delight. They are an 80% oak and 20% flavored wood pellet.

I just used the store locator for my area and there's only one place that sells it here, good thing it's only 4 miles away at a lumber yard/hardware store. I'll check out the price but I know this store is expensive on all of the bbq supplies and rubs.

I stopped by that store to check on Lumberjack pellets, $18 for a 20lb bag. I'll stick to BBQ'rs Delight for now.

Atwood’s is still 6.99 right now. I have about a dozen bags. I want to buy more but I probably should wait. Wish they had the char hickory though.

Thanks for the reminder!

I need to go get a pile more!

Atwood’s is still 6.99 right now. I have about a dozen bags. I want to buy more but I probably should wait. Wish they had the char hickory though.

Have you tried the char hickory? I have ran 2 bags worth, and I cant say I am a huge fan. Seems to be pretty ashy, and smoke flavor seems lighter than the 100% Hickory to me. It does smell good, when it is burning though.

Have you tried the char hickory? I have ran 2 bags worth, and I cant say I am a huge fan. Seems to be pretty ashy, and smoke flavor seems lighter than the 100% Hickory to me. It does smell good, when it is burning though.

I liked them for grilling

Back