Contest Announcment The NEW 12th Annual Official Ohio Smoked Meat and Barbecue Festival, Nelsonville, Ohio - October 17 - 18, 2008 ***Updated***

Can you get Jack instead of Beam though? That was a shock on my system at 9:22 in the morning. At least I am used to the Jack at that time... :roll:

Will do for you Scottie. Sorry for the shock to your system. I had a couple of them after the toast and they didn't go down very well either. I just figured it was me and the hell I had put my metabolism through that weekend.

Roger, just the short amount we talked prior to Kettering, I knew this was what you were looking for and I didn't figure you would be upset by my talking you into doing the contest. We'll be glad to have you year after year after year after......you get it! Thanks Buddy!

Jim, I for one would like to say that I am glad I listened to you and made Kettering my 1st and if I do only a couple each year Kettering will be the top priority for me.

I'd ask that for those that only have the funds for one more Ohio contest this year to please support the Jim Dandy's contest. That one has a good chance of being a qualifier with a little help.

Just checked to see and still only lists 16 teams signed up....
Sent email to Susan Sparks ( rep from ford plant) to see if we will be on grass or backtop. Jim Emig (jim Dandys ) thinks the grass. havent heard back from Susan. Also if we can get in earlier than 12 noon on Fri. Jim did say we can stay over to Sun for those who wish.

Looks like Nelsonville may not happen at all. Tom Lambrecht just quit after reading all the emails that were flying around. I did get a copy of his note as I did send him an email. He his contacting the president of Rocky and turning over the proclamation to him. If you want info his email it's kevin.dotson@rockybrands.com.

Tom is still saying it's all the Grinsteds fault but has made no attempt to address the need for paying to 5 positions plus GC/RGC and he has not submitted papwrwork to the KCBS for the funding guarantee. So I guess there's lots of blame to go around.

Last edited:
Now for the rest of the story!!! Mr. Lambrecht was asked to stand aside. The Nelsonville Chamber of Commerce along with Rocky Boots is working on taking over the competition and try to get things on track. We don't know about 2008, we can only hope. But 2009 is where we really hope to take off a new. I am sure things will change quickly in the next few days.

Thanks so much for being a voice where we all felt that there was no voice...hell, a lot of us here are from Ohio, and given that alone, will do what we can to support Ohio comps. I read some of your postings today on BBQ Central, and then put the 2 & 2 together, and like seeing a team of public servants finest, and ones who did what they could to save the contest. I appreciate your work a lot...and hopefully we will see you down there in 09....

I guess if we cannot get anything going for this year me and my team will have a picnic on the site and drink a toast to everyone, and work on next year. My problem is the glass is always half full so I am still working on 2008.

hey, nobody said you would not have company in the field toasting along side.....laughing.....you say alcohol in the right setting, and you have a sudden bum rush.....

just glad that you have helped sort out what folks have been trying to sort out for the year......

The point is to get the Nelsonville contest back on it's feet then we can work on bringing all Ohio BBQ working together, and maybe tie some things together. Maybe we work on that Ohio Triple Crown of BBQ that was mentioned.

Now for the rest of the story!!! Mr. Lambrecht was asked to stand aside. The Nelsonville Chamber of Commerce along with Rocky Boots is working on taking over the competition and try to get things on track. We don't know about 2008, we can only hope. But 2009 is where we really hope to take off a new. I am sure things will change quickly in the next few days.

Damn Dan! You said you could open doors but I figured you meant by turning the knob and giving a slight push.

just glad that you have helped sort out what folks have been trying to sort out for the year......

Not to challenge your comment Rob, but that has to qualify for understatement of the year. In one day Dan was able to cut the rope on the anchor of lethargism (creative writing 101) that most of us have been dealing with for a helluva lot longer than a year.

The point is to get the Nelsonville contest back on it's feet then we can work on bringing all Ohio BBQ working together, and maybe tie some things together. Maybe we work on that Ohio Triple Crown of BBQ that was mentioned.

Like I told you when we talked yesterday, you know how to get in touch with me.

Hell, I am grateful....I hope that it can get up and be the contest that several of you talked about....I didnt get to compete in the contest, but, sure hope to sometime....

I really think it will come back and especially after what I have seen in the last 24 hours. In the hey day of Nelsonville, it was nothing to see the big names of barbecue come to cook. In 2002 there were 32 teams present and they came from all over. In 2003 there were 34 teams. I'm sure the introduction of new contests in Ohio will take some of the appeal away since it is no longer an qutomatic but there's no reason at all why Nelsonville cannot take what they already have and build on it to make it a good contest once again.

Damn Dan! You said you could open doors but I figured you meant by turning the knob and giving a slight push.
All I did was open the doors. It just happens that they were big sponsor doors who don't like to fail, and like to eat BBQ. We'll see what rolls out today. I will be talking with Rocky Boots and the Chamber of Commerce today. I am also talking with Jennifer Palmer the KCBA Director of Operations later today to discuss our options for 2008. Things will probably happen quickly, I hope.

well, maybe Ohio can be back on track to be a bbq destination....Kettering, Sharonville, Nelsonville, and HOPE HOPE HOPE to have the Cleveland USO-BBQ For the Troops up and running as well in 09...and, if I remember right, Bucky was also looking at getting one started up as well....but, have not talked to him to see what his progress is yet....hope all works out.....

2008 Ohio Smoked Meat & BBQ Festival Still Going

I just finished speaking with Kevin Dotson from Rocky Boots and the Nelsonville Chamber of Commerce. It is official the 2008 Nelsonville BBQ competition is still on. The Nelsonville Chamber of Commerce is now the organizer for the event with Rocky Boots staying on as a sponsor. We are having a meeting on Friday at 2 pm EST to bring everything together. After the meeting I should be able to get more information out to everyone.

In the mean time any ideas or suggestions that you would like me to bring up at the meeting are welcome. It would also be a great help if any teams that are interested in competing let me know so we can see where we will be standing for teams.

I appreciate everyone’s help and support over the past few days. It is great to know that this type of support is out there.

In the mean time any ideas or suggestions that you would like me to bring up at the meeting are welcome. It would also be a great help if any teams that are interested in competing let me know so we can see where we will be standing for teams.

Step 1 - call the reps and find out what you need to do for a contest. Paying 5 in cat + GC/RGC for sure. Guarantee of prize money in advance. Get a website up. Put info here as it becomes available. After tomorrow some people may be looking for a late October contest.

Good first step there Ford....the guarantee......money always helps.......

Hope all has been well with you too......

Back