The Money (Long)

In the PNW there is a group that has had a number of contests that if you won it would not cover the cost of doing that contest, I woud not even think about entering those contests.

What little while I have competed it is about the competition of it all to see how well we can finish, along with meeting new friend and having a good time. Sort of like NASCAR until the early 90's nascar was a bunch of somewhat known people spending a ton of money to tear cars up on Sundays. Then along comes Tom Cruise and films Days Of Thunder and NASCAR sky rockets to huge money and most popular sport. Between building a pits and everything I bought to start competing I must a spent $15,000 this year, and our team brought in a whopping $50.00 in winnings and I could'nt be happier. This year though I am going for $75.00 :wink:

How can contests, with all the variables taken into consideration, be a viable revenue stream?

i think that depends who u ask, but IMO, it can never be as profitable as a real job, or catering event. You would have to do multiple contests in a week

AND WIN each time

in order to generate supporting income. Not gas money and meat money, but $$ to support yourself or you family. Now unless u have sponsors paying you just to show up and hawk their products, prize money cant cover that on a regular basis. But Im sure the top teams that ocmpete every week generate a good buck.

Now.. if u ask me..... this hobby is both, a BBQ pit AND a Money pit.

What little while I have competed it is about the competition of it all to see how well we can finish, along with meeting new friend and having a good time. Sort of like NASCAR until the early 90's nascar was a bunch of somewhat known people spending a ton of money to tear cars up on Sundays. Then along comes Tom Cruise and films Days Of Thunder and NASCAR sky rockets to huge money and most popular sport. Between building a pits and everything I bought to start competing I must a spent $15,000 this year, and our team brought in a whopping $50.00 in winnings and I could'nt be happier. This year though I am going for $75.00 :wink:

I guess what we really need then is a movie about BBQ competitions. The thing about Days of Thunder, that the racing scenes themselves were so much out of reality !!! So, I reckon that a BBQ movie would be the same way.

I can see it now: beautiful skies, 18 wheelers lined up with huge smokers and cooking teams of 20+ people, tens of thousands of fans walking along, piles of ice free for the taking, Huge flyover for the 9:22 shot, and at awards, golden statues and wheel barrels full of money.

There.... that'll make it as real to BBQ as Days of Thunder was to NASCAR !!:lol:

I guess what we really need then is a movie about BBQ competitions. The thing about Days of Thunder, that the racing scenes themselves were so much out of reality !!! So, I reckon that a BBQ movie would be the same way.

I can see it now: beautiful skies, 18 wheelers lined up with huge smokers and cooking teams of 20+ people, tens of thousands of fans walking along, piles of ice free for the taking, Huge flyover for the 9:22 shot, and at awards, golden statues and wheel barrels full of money.

There.... that'll make it as real to BBQ as Days of Thunder was to NASCAR !!:lol:

You forgot the groupies. The cardboard cutout of Shania I've seen doesn't qualify:wink:

ok ok ok you can not make a living doing contests. But it would be fun trying.

Maybe I will do a book deal and call it how to over cook your Ribs to get attention.

Or maybe I will do the next best thing and have a throw down with ________________________ who ever where ever for whatever! huh.

Maybe it's been along day at the office.

You forgot the groupies. The cardboard cutout of Shania I've seen doesn't qualify:wink:

Cardboard? She was so stiff from seeing us, she didn't know what to do...

Or was that us? I don't remember...

Attachments

• a-team 2.jpg
    a-team 2.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 61
Podge I like the way your thinking! I can see the dew across the fields now early in the morning as the smoke rises and the background music starts to play as the new guy nobody preps his winning turn in box to win the JD World Championships, this movie would have to be Rated R with all the alcohol the would be in it.

I love the above dissertations, dissention, and opinions, but to get more to my point, and I'll be blunt;

Scottie (CSC); If it is about the money and the foundation, how do you makie it pay? It would be easier for me to cater and then start writing checks to the foundation of my choice. (Actually, we do a couple caterings a year at No Charge as benefit events). Now, not being completely stupid, (just marginally so) I understand some of the taxation ramifications of not for profits as my wife is an accountant. Just thinking out loud.

I didn't include the groupies, because that happens in real life, and cardboard groupies count... don't they ? :grin:

from that pic I just figured out what I am missing and must get asap.

AN APRON!

Scottie (CSC); If it is about the money and the foundation, how do you makie it pay? It would be easier for me to cater and then start writing checks to the foundation of my choice. (Actually, we do a couple caterings a year at No Charge as benefit events). Now, not being completely stupid, (just marginally so) I understand some of the taxation ramifications of not for profits as my wife is an accountant. Just thinking out loud.

There are plenty of contests that I am not making money. When I started out in this, I decided it wasn't about the money. My cause is more important to me. So that is why I chose to do it my way. Do I wish sometimes that I did it different? I wouldn't change a thing. I am secure enough with my job, that any money I did win, would just be a headache. I haven't added it up, but my guess is that my donations will be around $5k? That's a guess though. Honestly, I would of done a heck of a lot better if not for the gas prices this summer.

Officially, my bbq team and my foundation are 2 completely different entities. My team is not a 501c3, but my foundation is. So basically any money that I donate is just like if Joe the plumber made a donation.

Scottie,
Thank you for the insight, and in all seriuosness, I applaud your forthright and admirable response. I lost my dad to cancer, and you are to be commended.

I read in the paper a guy who made over $40,000 one year in prize money. If you do enough contest and your consistently good you will make some good money. Then sponsors come in and soon you aren't paying for a whole lot out of your pocket.

Did the article say if it was before or after factoring in his cost to compete?

Scottie,
Thank you for the insight, and in all seriuosness, I applaud your forthright and admirable response. I lost my dad to cancer, and you are to be commended.

Thanks man. I never imagined it this way when I started all of this. As BBQ is a hobby and who would ever think that a hobby could fuel a cause? It seemed like a good idea, I just never thought it would work. I can say that I have heard a lot of stories from folks out on the road. Which is just as cool as can be for me. I can honestly say I will never forget a few people, from cooks to people just off the street that have approached me over the years. What did they want to say? Thank you. Those 2 little words mean more to me than any comp BBQ money ever would for me. Hopefully I am also teaching my girls about all of this too. While it will never ease their pain of not having their mommy, the number of new friends and family that they have gained is amazing. Not to mention they have seen some pretty cool parts of the country... Working on some plans to see some new parts of the country for next year, if it all works out... :cool:

Thanks man. I never imagined it this way when I started all of this. As BBQ is a hobby and who would ever think that a hobby could fuel a cause? It seemed like a good idea, I just never thought it would work. I can say that I have heard a lot of stories from folks out on the road. Which is just as cool as can be for me. I can honestly say I will never forget a few people, from cooks to people just off the street that have approached me over the years. What did they want to say? Thank you. Those 2 little words mean more to me than any comp BBQ money ever would for me. Hopefully I am also teaching my girls about all of this too. While it will never ease their pain of not having their mommy, the number of new friends and family that they have gained is amazing. Not to mention they have seen some pretty cool parts of the country... Working on some plans to see some new parts of the country for next year, if it all works out... :cool:

Scottie, you have my utmost admiration as well. I don't know how you do it but I've thought in the past how I would explain things... how I would go on and the simplest things you take for granted... like how the hell do I fix my daughter's hair in the morning? I have no clue. Your daughters are fortunate to have a man like yourself for a father.

I had no clue either Jeff. Still don't have a clue on a lot of things. What we lack in some things, we make up in other things. I am proud of my girls for adapting to life without their mommy and having to put up with me.

I still can't French braid my girls hair though. So there is still plenty for me to learn.

Back