The magic of Low and Slow Demystified! A geeks studies of Collagen converting to gelatin.

jetfxr27

is one Smokin' Farker
http://gizmodo.com/5643281/the-scie...make-mean-duck-confit++from-cooking-for-geeks
I ran across this article today regarding the book Cooking for Geeks.

Duck confit tastes entirely different from duck cooked almost any other way. Cooking it is all about converting tough collagen proteins—pound for pound tougher than steel—into gelatin.

While this isn't a fast chemical reaction, it's a simple one to trigger: hold the meat at a low temperature for long enough, and the collagen proteins denature and eventually hydrolyze.

154°F / 68°C: Collagen (Type I) Denatures
An animal's connective tissues provide structure and support for the muscles and organs in its body. You can think of most connective tissues-loose fascia and ligaments between muscles as well as other structures such as tendons and bones-as a bit like steel reinforcement: they don't actively contract like muscle tissue, but they provide structure against which muscles can pull and contract.

ducktemperatures.jpg

The most common type of protein in connective tissue is collagen, and while there are several types of collagen in animals, from a culinary perspective, the main chemical difference between the different types of collagen is the temperature at which they denature. In cooking, collagen shows up in two different ways: either as discrete chunks (e.g., tendons, silverskin) outside of the muscle, or as a network that runs through the muscle. Regardless of its location, collagen is tough (it provides structure, after all) and becomes palatable only given sufficient time at sufficiently high temperatures.

It's easy to deal with collagen that shows up as discrete pieces: get rid of it by cutting it off. For cuts of meats that have a thin layer of connective tissue on them (called silverskin, presumably because of its somewhat iridescent appearance), cut off as much as possible and discard it. Beef tenderloin cuts commonly have a side with this layer; trim off as much as possible before cooking.

Chicken breasts also have a small but noticeable tendon connected to the chicken tenderloin. Uncooked, it's a pearlescent white ribbon. After cooking, it turns into that small white rubber-band-like thing that you can chew on endlessly yet never get any satisfaction from. Generally, this type of collagen is easy to spot, and if you miss it, it's easy to notice while eating and can be left on the plate.

However, for the other kind of collagen found in some cuts of meat-collagen that forms a 3D network through the muscle tissue-the only way to remove it is to convert it to gelatin via long, slow cooking methods. Unlike muscle proteins-which in cooking are either in a native (i.e., as they are in the animal), denatured, or hydrolyzed state-collagen, once hydrolyzed, can enter a coagulated (gelled) state. This property opens up an entirely new world of possibilities, because gelatin gives meats a lubricious, tender quality and provides a lip-smacking goodness.

One piece of information that is critical to understand in the kitchen, however, is that hydrolysis takes time. The structure has to literally untwist and break up, and due to the amount of energy needed to break the bonds and the stochastic processes involved, this reaction takes longer than simply denaturing the protein.

Hydrolyzing collagen not only breaks down the rubbery texture of the denatured structure, but also converts a portion of it to gelatin. When the collagen hydrolyzes, it breaks into variously sized pieces, the smaller of which are able to dissolve into the surrounding liquid, creating gelatin. It's this gelatin that gives dishes such as braised ox tail, slow-cooked short ribs, and duck confit their distinctive mouthfeel.

Since these dishes rely on gelatin for providing that wonderful texture, they need to be made with high-collagen cuts of meat. Trying to make a beef stew with lean cuts will result in tough, dry meat. The actin proteins will denature (recall that this occurs at temperatures of 150–163°F / 66–73°C), but the gelatin won't be present in the muscle tissue to mask the dryness and toughness brought about by the denatured actin. Don't try to "upgrade" your beef stew with a more expensive cut of meat; it won't work!

"Great," you might be thinking, "but how does any of this tell me whether I need to slowcook a piece of meat?" Think about the piece of meat (or fish or poultry) that you're working with and consider what part of the animal it comes from. For a land-based animal, those regions of the animal that bear weight generally have higher levels of collagen. This should make sense: because the weight-bearing portions have a higher load, they need more structure, so they'll have more connective tissue. This isn't a perfect rule of thumb, though, and cuts of meat generally have more than one muscle group in them.

duck_cow.jpg

For animals like fish, which don't have to support their weight on land, the collagen levels are much lower. Squid and octopus are notable exceptions to this weight-bearing rule, because their collagen provides the equivalent support that bone structures do for fish.

Duck Confit, Oven method
The secret to duck confit is in the time and temperature, not the actual cooking technique. The upshot? You can make duck confit in a slow cooker or in an oven set at an ultra-low temperature. The fat that the duck is cooked in doesn't matter either; some experiments have shown that duck confit cooked in water and then coated in oil is indistinguishable from traditionally cooked duck confit. Regardless, definitely skip the exotic block of duck fat; duck legs are expensive enough as it is.

Arrange duck legs in an oven-safe pan and cover with oil. Place in oven set at 170°F / 77°C for a minimum of six hours. (200°F / 95°C will work, but avoid anything hotter to prevent steaming the meat.)

The duck legs will become more tender with longer cook times. I've cooked batches of 36 duck legs overnight using a large pot held at temperature in an oven. If you do cook a large batch, remember that the core temperature needs to get to about 140°F / 60°C within two hours. In this case, heat the oil up to ~250°F / 120°C before placing the duck legs in it. This way, the hot oil will impart a solid thermal kick to get the cold legs up to temperature faster.

Notes
• Traditional recipes call for duck fat instead of olive oil. One advantage to the duck fat is that, upon cooling to room temperature, it solidifies, encasing and sealing the duck leg in a sterilized layer of fat, somewhat like how some jams are preserved with a wax seal. If you were living in France a century ago, this would've been a great way to preserve duck legs for a long winter, but with the invention of refrigeration and modern grocery stores, there's no need for the duck fat to store the meat safely for the few days it might last. Use olive oil. It's cheaper and healthier.
• If you pour off the oil and liquid into another container, a layer of gelatin will separate out on the bottom once it cools. Use that gelatin! Try tossing it into soups.

Cooking For Geeks just might get every geek you know excited about cooking. Written by Jeff Potter, a software engineer turned food writer, this cookbook is for anyone who likes to understand how things work. The best-selling book comes packed with outstanding, well-thought out recipes recipes—and give readers enough information to enable them to go off-recipe. Indeed, when you think about it, recipes are nothing but code.

thumb160x_cooking4geeks2_175px.jpg

Jeff Potter has done the cubicle thing, the startup thing, and the entrepreneur thing, and through it all maintained his sanity by cooking for friends. He studied Computer Science and Visual Art at Brown University.

Cooking for Geeks
By Jeff Potter
Copyright 2010 Atof Inc. All rights reserved.
Published by O'Reilly Media, Inc.

Cooking for Geeks is available for purchase at Amazon.

Last edited:
We don't usually read books round these parts, but that might be one worth pickin' up!

Thanks for the post!

This one has been on my shortlist since Uncrate discovered it for me a couple months back. Frankly, the only reason I haven't had Amazon ship it to me yet is because I am afraid of being yelled at for starting some new project that might come to me when reading this. (Since I still have to fix the front door, mount the bike pulleys, install the ceiling fan, build a frankenweber...)

This one has been on my shortlist since Uncrate discovered it for me a couple months back. Frankly, the only reason I haven't had Amazon ship it to me yet is because I am afraid of being yelled at for starting some new project that might come to me when reading this. (Since I still have to fix the front door, mount the bike pulleys, install the ceiling fan, build a frankenweber...)

Awesome site.

I've had that book on my Amazon wishlist for a little while now and I also downloaded a sample of it, just haven't perused it yet.

As a big Alton Brown fan, the book seems tailor-made for me.

I live for this kind of info. We all have ran inot this cooking our brisket and butts but the book brings some science into it. Thanks.

So old I do not have the time to read that.

Are you suggesting Low and Slow or Hot and Fast?

So old I do not have the time to read that.
Are you suggesting Low and Slow or Hot and Fast?

IMO the article doesn't really go into enough specifics to answer that. I think we all agree that the "tougher" cuts of meat such as brisket need to have the collagen broken down to make it tender. The article states: "the only way to remove it is to convert it to gelatin via long, slow cooking methods".

Without specifying exactly how long the collagen needs to be exposed to heat and at what temp for each cut of meat, it's just speculation. Why does a brisket cooked in an oven at 325-350 degrees come out perfectly tender? Obviously that temperature range must expose the collagen to the proper heat long enough to render it to a gelatin.

My personal opinion is that a 14 pound packer cooked properly at 325 will be just as tender as one cooked at 225. But that's just me.

...Why does a brisket cooked in an oven at 325-350 degrees come out perfectly tender? Obviously that temperature range must expose the collagen to the proper heat long enough to render it to a gelatin.

My personal opinion is that a 14 pound packer cooked properly at 325 will be just as tender as one cooked at 225. But that's just me.

I tend to agree, I kind of think of it in terms of crowbar & hammer vs finess...
I think a lot of the ideas we have about why slow & low is best comes from the origins of cooking these lower quality cuts. Poor folks found that if they cooked a tough cut over a low fire for many hours, it would finally become edible.
Eventually folks everywhere adopted the idea and the popularity of bbq grew.

Fast forward, we now understand why the low & slow method works so well and through science we can figure out that hot & fast will produce the same/similar results if done properly.

Now that's not to say that I believe any cut of meat can be converted to a hot & fast method nor would I want to. Most cuts of beef tend to clench or tighten up when given a high dose of heat and IMO won't/can't relax to give the same results as a low & slow cooked cut.

Personally I like to use a combo of low & slow and hot & fast. For example, I typically cook butts @ 250 until the stall, usually about 8 hours, wrap with foil and then bump the temp to 300° - 325°... By hour 10 they are usually ready to come off. If I cooked it @ 250 until done it could take up to 16 hours. IMO, they turn out way juicier than when I've cooked them for longer at lower temps... I think of it as finessing it for most of the cook, and then when the stubborn stall comes along, I use the crowbar & hammer to persuade it... My 2¢!

Great post. From what I see (and understand), the longer the piece of meat stays in
that 150 - 175 degree range, potentially the more fat that's rendered (ala. the meat
becomes more tender).

Low and slow, one would think, would possibly keep the meat in that temperature
range longer.

And yet, months later, everyone is still talking about fat and moisture, it drives me nuts.

Back