The M1 grill/smoker has arrived and been put to use...

rwalters

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Name or Nickame
Robb
I've been eyeing the M1 grill/smoker by M Grills for quite some time now. Last month, I finally decided to shoot them an email with a few questions. The rest is history. Travis, from M Grills, quickly responded to my questions. That led to many MANY conversations with him over the next few weeks. I found Travis to be amazingly patient with my questions, and very thorough with his answers...often times sending pics to help explain. We all know what it is like to find the occasional gem of a company...one that really takes customer service seriously and actually leaves you feeling like you are a valued person!?!? That is M Grills!!!

Long story short, I placed my order for the M1 Grill during their Texas State Fair promotion (saved a lil bit). They have a 2-3 week build time once you place your order. Well that order took place about 4 weeks ago. A week ago Friday, 10 minutes after arriving home from work, I was greeted by "the truck" in front of my home...

Day 1: Did the burn in.

Couple of days later, smoked a batch of baby backs with peach and post oak wood.

Next day whipped up 10lbs of wings.

Few days after that, did a reverse sear cook on 4 tri tips.

Maintaining a small hot fire with thin blue has been a cinch. The M1 design is unique and cool all wrapped up in one. As advertised, the thing is a beast! Small footprint, with good capacity, and built like a tank.

Although I am still learning this cooker, I am already thinking that I am really going to like it. Love having the flexibility of burning sticks (indirect) and grilling over lump w/ adjustable charcoal grate (direct) on the same cooker...or even using both methods at the same time (burning sticks for smoke, while grilling over lump). Oh yeah... if you wanna burn sticks with a long burn time, it does quite well with a pile of lump (minion method) and a couple of small splits sitting on top. I'd say an easy 5 hour burn time with little to no user involvement. Me likey this cooker so far...lol!

Here are a few pics to help paint the picture :)

Attachments

• IMG_2150.jpg
    IMG_2150.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 538
  • IMG_2151.jpg
    IMG_2151.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 534
  • IMG_2158.JPG
    IMG_2158.JPG
    119.8 KB · Views: 544
  • IMG_2159.jpg
    IMG_2159.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 537
  • IMG_2154.JPG
    IMG_2154.JPG
    152.7 KB · Views: 538
  • IMG_2157.jpg
    IMG_2157.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 540
  • IMG_2156.JPG
    IMG_2156.JPG
    198.4 KB · Views: 538
  • IMG_2172.jpg
    IMG_2172.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 533
  • IMG_2171.JPG
    IMG_2171.JPG
    82.3 KB · Views: 535
  • IMG_2168.JPG
    IMG_2168.JPG
    159 KB · Views: 533
  • IMG_2175.JPG
    IMG_2175.JPG
    187.4 KB · Views: 529
  • IMG_2176.JPG
    IMG_2176.JPG
    147.5 KB · Views: 532
  • IMG_2177.JPG
    IMG_2177.JPG
    150.1 KB · Views: 535
  • IMG_2178.JPG
    IMG_2178.JPG
    196.9 KB · Views: 537
  • IMG_2179.JPG
    IMG_2179.JPG
    151.7 KB · Views: 541
  • IMG_2166.JPG
    IMG_2166.JPG
    188.3 KB · Views: 517
Last edited:
Great write up, good looking food and thanks for all the pic's. The side shelves on your M1 look like they are painted steel vs the SS side shelves I've seen on others, did you request that or did they just make a change? Either way it's still a great looking grill/smoker. Congrats.

Great write up, good looking food and thanks for all the pic's. The side shelves on your M1 look like they are painted steel vs the SS side shelves I've seen on others, did you request that or did they just make a change? Either way it's still a great looking grill/smoker. Congrats.
Thanks! Nope, not painted... they are SS. The lighting is messing with my pic...LOL!

Great pictures and awesome looking food. Love the sear on those tri tips:hungry:

I wholeheartedly agree with your sentiments re: the M1 :thumb:

Ive been looking for a grill/smoker that grabbed my attention. I wanted something that could easily transition from one to another. I think this is it. It will be a long time before I can purchase one but i think I have a goal to strive towards. Thank you

Ive been looking for a grill/smoker that grabbed my attention. I wanted something that could easily transition from one to another. I think this is it. It will be a long time before I can purchase one but i think I have a goal to strive towards. Thank you
IMO, this is definitely a cooker worth saving for... it's a buy once/cry once kinda cooker. Built to last a lifetime. I was able to speed the buying process up a bit by off-loading one of my other cookers on CL. So far, no regrets :)

I need one! My gripe with the Hasty Bakes are the lack of efficiency; this seems like that problem is not an issue!

I need one! My gripe with the Hasty Bakes are the lack of efficiency; this seems like that problem is not an issue!

I had a HB Gourmet for about a year. This is NOT that. Ive cooked on ceramic kamado's for years. This is not as efficient as that, but much MUCH closer to that then a HB.

Yep, been cooking on only a couple BGE's for years and am ready to branch out. Every time i use the Hasty Bake, I find myself either aggravated at the process or disappointed in the results.

Yep, been cooking on only a couple BGE's for years and am ready to branch out. Every time i use the Hasty Bake, I find myself either aggravated at the process or disappointed in the results.

Ditto to that! The venting on HB's IMO is a joke...that and the way they leak everywhere. The M1 grill/smoker is heavy and tight as can be. Set it at 250° (or whatever) and walk away. It actually moves less then my kamados do. Just doesn't get the 18+ hour cooks with out adding fuel like a kamado. But I actually like that about it :)

That and a Yoder 640 are on my short list. I won't do much stick burning, but it will be fun to play with the M1.

I need to buy something to take with us and the camper too.

Back