The life and times of a novice smoker

I just did this a couple of weeks back, and I'd suggest paint first, then oil the inside. How you oil it is up to you. I sprayed it down with Pam, but found that to be a big mess. If I had to do it over again, I'd just go after it with Crisco and a paper towel.

Looking good!

It was a good one. Had flames 5ft outside of the barrel if the wind would blow the right way. Thankfully all the neighbors seemed to be busy that night.

Looks like another one got hooked. Looking forward to seeing it in use.

I have some minor technique questions for you guys.

I have an electronic thermometer with a probe on a lead that shows the temp on a digital display. Do you guys just leave the probe in the meat the whole time its on the grill or open the hood periodically to poke it and check?

How long, if ever do you guys leave your UDS unattended? I see a lot about people doing over night smokes. Are you getting up every few hours to check on the meat/make sure nothing is in fire? Running errands during the day? Going to work? Taking a nap? I never felt comfortable leaving my ECB alone for more then 30 minutes. The UDS seems much safer and better contained.

Got the charcoal basket put together this morning and currently seasoning the drum! It's extremely windy in my neck of the woods but it seems to be making and holding temperature pretty well. I will post pictures later. Really hope to give it a cook tomorrow.

Back