The Good One Open Range

PnkPanther

is Blowin Smoke!
Name or Nickame
Adam
Hello

I've searched forum and few threads here from years ago on the good one open range, wondering if anyone has experience with their new generation? I'm told they're more fuel efficient than prior versions.

One of the feature I like, if doing a long cook, the firebox doubles as the direct grill and I can heat up some brat's for lunch.

My concern is cook chamber is narrow. They have dual racks, but I'm not sure I could even fit a disposable pan for beans in there. The heritage oven upgrade puts me closer to price of Weber Summit, which is other grill I'm considering and removes an attractive advantage

I have a local dealer that has good ones, and quality looks good. Most users do seem to like them. Also sell Yoder smokers and Whitewhater drums. The Yoder Cheyenne is tempting, but I like idea of setting up grill than mowing etc...although eventually wouldn't mind a stick burner for those days just want to sit by grill (sorry, off topic ramble)

Thoughts on Good one open range? Worth it? Spend a little more for Weber Summit?

(Wife thinks both are ugly, so no help there)

I have a newer OR and love it. After playing around with my charcoal and chunk setup from advice on this forum it is easy to maintain 250-275 with little to no adjustments. It is also a reverse searing machine by using the firebox as you mention.

However I have 'several' :crazy: other cookers so the space constraint you mention isn't a showstopper for me. If no other cookers I could see that being a problem.

Good luck with your search and post pics of whatever you get :clap2:

I have a newer OR and love it. After playing around with my charcoal and chunk setup from advice on this forum it is easy to maintain 250-275 with little to no adjustments. It is also a reverse searing machine by using the firebox as you mention.

However I have 'several' :crazy: other cookers so the space constraint you mention isn't a showstopper for me. If no other cookers I could see that being a problem.

Good luck with your search and post pics of whatever you get :clap2:

My space concern is alleviated by the fact I have 3 other grills. Can you fit a pan of beans under shoulder to catch drippings?

I'll answer that. Yes - you can. I've had pans under three pork shoulders at once. I forget the measurements of the pans but can check tonight if you need. I'm extremely happy my Open Range so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll answer that. Yes - you can. I've had pans under three pork shoulders at once. I forget the measurements of the pans but can check tonight if you need. I'm extremely happy my Open Range so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No that's cool. I've seen them in person, looked a little narrow, but good to know. I know there are pans that can fit, just wanted to see if it was difficulty.....

I have never seen an OR in person, but I own an Old Country Over/Under that I like very much. It looks very similar, if there is an Academy Sports nearby, it may be worth a look. The price is less than half, so that will afford you more briskets.

I have never seen an OR in person, but I own an Old Country Over/Under that I like very much. It looks very similar, if there is an Academy Sports nearby, it may be worth a look. The price is less than half, so that will afford you more briskets.

No academy here in mn.

I've heard of the over under. I do like seeing them in person Though and have heard oc quality control isn't greatest so getting what academy picks rather than selecting is a concern (that could be wrong)

PnKPanther - I'm in the same boat as you, I'm deciding between the Good one open range and the American bbq systems All Start smoker. I Will make a decision tomorrow after work. and I'm still not sure... like yourself the dual racks is holding me back but i hear good reviews despite the rack.

Not trying to insult your cooker btw. I've read good things, just a concern
No negativity taken. I know all about the differences in quality, I was fortunate to get a good one. I like to do a hands on inspection myself. Good luck and good smoking.

I cook on a marshall and really enjoy the versatility of it. I had great customer service from the owner Chris Marks too, actually came out and showed me his personal smoker.

I have the Open Range and the Marshall and love both. The OR is kind of small but it does the job. The Marshall holds a lot of food and there is no problems with the size of meat. I like that fact that you can also grill on these or if doing a reverse sear on steak it makes it very easy.

Good One has great customer service and I've taken a couple of Chris Mark's BBQ classes and he is a great guy and will answer any questions you have. These grill/smokers are also very well made and should last for years. I forgot to add that both of mine are the third generation models. My OR doesn't seem to be the most fuel efficient but my Marshall seems to do better for some reason.

Wayne

Back