THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

longwayfromhome

Full Fledged Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Hi there. I previously recorded the smoke of a lamb shoulder for pulled lamb http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=203522 . With 70 for lunch on Saturday, I am providing pork ribs, beef ribs and pulled lamb (this in rolls). I decided to do the lamb early so Saturday morning wasn't too rushed. I am recording here to show the refinements over the last cook.

I bought 4 shoulders - the front end of two lambs. These are small animals and overall this was 22.25lbs pre-cook. I finished the cook with a tad over 10lbs of pulled meat.

I cooked for 9 hours at around 250. This is lower than I normally cook, but because the lambs are pretty fatty, I wanted to get out as much as possible. I used water in the 22" WSM to try and keep yields up. I had one shoulder go over 200F, the rest were 188F-195F. They were all well-and-truly done, probing like butter.

Preparation was straightforward - I injected with juice (apple & peach mix), rubbed with some Middle Eastern blends (names shown below). I did use a bit of apple and cherry for smoke, but not a lot - lamb for me has to have a very light smoke touch. I start the charcoal ring pretty full, and it did last the whole smoke, but just. The water sucks up a lot of energy. I start with the 1/3 chimney in the middle. I add wood chips/chunks when up to temp. Most of the cook is done with one vent only required (and partial even then). Top vent always 100% open.

I cooked two shoulders per tray, used a tray (with juice in it) because I knew there would be a TON of fat coming off - which there was - I had over 2lbs of dripping and juices in these trays at the end.

I am very happy with the cook and the results. Things I would do differently next time:

1. The rub doesn't make much difference because the skin on sheep is kinda impervious to rubs. I would consider including some rub in the injection.
2. Wrap after about 4-5 hours - I think the yields could be higher with no loss in any way as the bark is not a big thing with pulled lamb. Not like it can be with pulled pork at times.
3. Shorter cook. I was influenced by my last cook which on the same shoulder found the meat in part not pullable at around 190F. In this case it was perfectly OK at 188F (and I suspect lower) so I would cook less time and to a lower temp (my main criteria though is the probe-worthiness).
4. This is an expensive cook - total meat was NZD$171, USD$118, makes for USD$11.80 per cooked pound of meat. Nice meat though :)

I can't wait to try this cold today for lunch (just a taste-test for Saturday) - cold lamb is pretty good stuff, if you can get past all the grease!

Attachments

• IMG_1189.jpg
    IMG_1189.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_1191.jpg
    IMG_1191.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_1192.jpg
    IMG_1192.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_1194.JPG
    IMG_1194.JPG
    148 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_1197.jpg
    IMG_1197.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_1198.JPG
    IMG_1198.JPG
    119.1 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_1200.JPG
    IMG_1200.JPG
    138.7 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_1202.JPG
    IMG_1202.JPG
    128.7 KB · Views: 148
What's a dagg?

This is a term in common use amongst older people in Australia and New Zealand.

From a dictionary:
"It is also used to describe an amusing, quirky and likeable person (as in, "He's a bit of a dag") and is non-pejorative". Though I have never met him, it perfectly describes Titch.

A dag is the name given to the dreadlock-like lumps seen on the dung-encrusted rear end of a sheep, particularly when enhanced with maggots from a blowfly strike.

So when Titch mentioned it was good I didn't use the rear end of a sheep, he was referring to their generally cruddy nature (note the name of my post), so I pulled the two meanings together.

There is a well known (down this way!) comedian from NZ, working most of his career in Australia named Fred Dagg (John Clarke) - his name perfectly matches the meaning - amusing, quirky and likeable. For the past 20 years he has been probably our best political commentator as well.

Back