The best steak I've ever had (pron)

You did that steak some real justice, looks delish

Beautiful looking steaks, but I'm having a hard time forgiving you for doing them in the oven/skillet. I'm sure you had your reasons. Lol! Good cook anyways!

I'm with you, maybe next time do thirty day aged again but over a charcoal grill at least.

I'm with you, maybe next time do thirty day aged again but over a charcoal grill at least.

I chose the oven because I didn't want to add any flavors to these steaks, I wanted them to taste the way they were intended to be enjoyed. Without intentionally sounding smug, these were very expensive and I wanted to enjoy them as they were. I've reverse seared plenty of steaks on my KJ and there is always the addition of the wood fire flavor (as KJ likes to called it). With these I only wanted to taste beef and rendered fat.

Beautiful!! I have always been a ribeye person, but then not long ago I got ahold of a couple really nicely marbled strips. Prepared them almost exactly the same way you did and wow! I may be a convert.

I chose the oven because I didn't want to add any flavors to these steaks, I wanted them to taste the way they were intended to be enjoyed. Without intentionally sounding smug, these were very expensive and I wanted to enjoy them as they were. I've reverse seared plenty of steaks on my KJ and there is always the addition of the wood fire flavor (as KJ likes to called it). With these I only wanted to taste beef and rendered fat.

I can say that I completely understand where you are coming from on this. Grilled steaks over coals are amazing. However, with a really good steak you truly want just the crusty, salty exterior and the beefy, juicy interior to be the predominant flavors. Searing in a pan or under a Salamander allows the entire surface of the meat to have that amazing crust without any other flavors getting in the way. This is why most all high-end steak houses do it this way...

Absolutely beautiful steak by the way!

I can say that I completely understand where you are coming from on this. Grilled steaks over coals are amazing. However, with a really good steak you truly want just the crusty, salty exterior and the beefy, juicy interior to be the predominant flavors. Searing in a pan or under a Salamander allows the entire surface of the meat to have that amazing crust without any other flavors getting in the way. This is why most all high-end steak houses do it this way...

Absolutely beautiful steak by the way!

Completely agree with everything in this, I love grilling steaks on my KJ but I think if you truly want to appreciate a fine cut you need to cook in an environment that adds as little additional flavor as possible. This is why I went reverse sear, low and slow to render as much intramuscular fat as possible while maintaining the same done-ness throughout the steak. IMO reverse sear is great on thick steaks like these, but on a typical size supermarket cut the grill is the way to go IMO. I do reverse sear on my KJ when I get my hands on thick choice cuts though.

Awesome job, I love dry aged ribeyes, that intense beef flavor shines through. I used to dry age my own rib roasts at home in a dedicated fridge.

Thanks, just curious. I never thought about reverse sear in the oven then into the skillet. I might have to try this.

Back