The BBQ League

I joined about a month ago and have watched a few videos and this old did learned a few new tricks. As long as I compete, I will probably keep my subscription because I won't always cook comp style at home and will always need a refresher just before a comp.

Does the content include meat trimming, time-lines and ingredients or more of an overview?

Does the content include meat trimming, time-lines and ingredients or more of an overview?

The comp videos I have watched so far mentioned the cook's own time frames, but didn't give specific timelines because every piece of meat is different. The competition pork video showed a nice trim job, but they mentioned that there is a more in depth video of just the trimming, but I have yet to watch it.

Yeh the timeline aspect of is something you won’t get from joining. Differences in cooking temps, smokers, parts of the country you cook in etc all add up to each person dealing with different results.

The videos are very detailed on the products used and how things were trimmed.

We have recently added live event coverage on our members only Facebook group where you get to see top teams throughout the weekend including during boxing. I personally feel that alone is worth the price of admission.

We release at least 1 new video each week. They are not all competition focused and some are better than others for sure, but with that in mind we are committed to releasing 3-4 “tell-all” videos per year as well as several high quality productions such as we did with Joe Pearce or the BBQ Life series. The first half of this year alone will include my tell-all competition rib recipe, a tell-all chicken leg recipe, and a high level (Danny Ewer) SCA tell all series. Getting those videos for $33 each is an absolute steal, even if that was all we did all year.

The recipes found on The BBQ League are winning contests every single week.

Our goal is to provide content and benefits that keeps people involved year after year. If you decide to cancel, I’d appreciate an email or note letting me know what we could have offered to make you stay on. The more members we get, the better the budgets for content and member benefits. It’s that simple. We plan on growing this thing to multiple video releases weekly on all kinds of outdoor cooking subjects.

We are also always looking to expand our benefits. One thing we will be offering at major events this year is The League Lounge. This will be an event tent where you can meet and talk with the pros, get a drink and some Q, and watch our live feeds. Our first Lounge is scheduled for Memphis In May, Covid permitting.

We are also planning live members only events coming out of Covid.

Plain and simple, if you compete or are a bbq enthusiast, there is nothing out there that gives you the depth of knowledge you get from The BBQ League at any price, let alone for only $100 a year.

I will also say this and I want to be very very careful here out of respect to Brad and Tim and everyone associated with the BBQ league and their side businesses to not divulge any info they deserve to be paid for......

The pork tell all video is amazing on the bbq league website......truly amazing.

But I also took Brad and Tim's hot and fast class......and many things that they did in the pork tell all video were things that they didn't do in the class, but instead, did some things differently.

Do I think they were holding back on either? Not at all.

My speculation is that buys like Brad and Tim know that properly cooked meat that is perfectly tender and moist is what probably causes the most wins. And because that is really what so much of the focus is on, it opens the door up to try different things and experiment......either out of boredom or just trying to land on some combo they like better.

as long as you aren't putting some kind of off tasting rub on your meat, injecting it with something off putting, covering it in salt or putting a crappy tasting sauce on it, there are TONS of rubs, injections, brines and sauces you can put on BBQ and win............as long as you cook it right.

And to me, when you watch the videos on the site and attend the class, one of the most important things I learned was that they cook the meat "until it's done". You ask "how long do you cook it?" and I promise you that the answer you will get is "until it's done"....and when you say "how long is that usually for a butt or ribs?" they will say "I've seen ribs be done in under 3 hours or take up 5or 6 hours.....I've seen butts be done in 3.5 hours or take 6-7 hours......I don't really worry about it, I just start cooking early enough to deal with whatever time it does take".

At the class we asked those guys what did they use before they were using what they do now, and the list was amazing of all of the different rubs and sauces they had used over the years and had lots of success with......and that only solidifies the point I make above........whether you use Blues Hog rub and sauces or Smoking Guns and Kosmos, there are tons of options out there that you can be successful with.

Those guys understand better than I do what compliments each other better......and they have cooked so damn much that they understand what proper tenderness is and when that point has been reached better than I ever will. That is hard to teach in a video......but the videos have a great deal of additional worth that make them very informative and beneficial, not only learn from, but to use a refresher......but like I said earlier, after you do it for a year or so, only you can decide if it's worth your money to keep doing it.

For me, both the BBQ league this first year and class were outstanding and worth my investment.

I will also say this and I want to be very very careful here out of respect to Brad and Tim and everyone associated with the BBQ league and their side businesses to not divulge any info they deserve to be paid for......

The pork tell all video is amazing on the bbq league website......truly amazing.

But I also took Brad and Tim's hot and fast class......and many things that they did in the pork tell all video were things that they didn't do in the class, but instead, did some things differently.

Do I think they were holding back on either? Not at all.

My speculation is that buys like Brad and Tim know that properly cooked meat that is perfectly tender and moist is what probably causes the most wins. And because that is really what so much of the focus is on, it opens the door up to try different things and experiment......either out of boredom or just trying to land on some combo they like better.

as long as you aren't putting some kind of off tasting rub on your meat, injecting it with something off putting, covering it in salt or putting a crappy tasting sauce on it, there are TONS of rubs, injections, brines and sauces you can put on BBQ and win............as long as you cook it right.

And to me, when you watch the videos on the site and attend the class, one of the most important things I learned was that they cook the meat "until it's done". You ask "how long do you cook it?" and I promise you that the answer you will get is "until it's done"....and when you say "how long is that usually for a butt or ribs?" they will say "I've seen ribs be done in under 3 hours or take up 5or 6 hours.....I've seen butts be done in 3.5 hours or take 6-7 hours......I don't really worry about it, I just start cooking early enough to deal with whatever time it does take".

At the class we asked those guys what did they use before they were using what they do now, and the list was amazing of all of the different rubs and sauces they had used over the years and had lots of success with......and that only solidifies the point I make above........whether you use Blues Hog rub and sauces or Smoking Guns and Kosmos, there are tons of options out there that you can be successful with.

Those guys understand better than I do what compliments each other better......and they have cooked so damn much that they understand what proper tenderness is and when that point has been reached better than I ever will. That is hard to teach in a video......but the videos have a great deal of additional worth that make them very informative and beneficial, not only learn from, but to use a refresher......but like I said earlier, after you do it for a year or so, only you can decide if it's worth your money to keep doing it.

For me, both the BBQ league this first year and class were outstanding and worth my investment.

Every class and video captures a moment in time. Tim and I aren’t ones to sit still!

I was going to mention the live videos on facebook (and then later they have been posted on the member's portal as well). If you are a comp guy, I don't see how you can't get value out of the membership. I will renew, and it's really not even a close decision for me.

Full disclosure, I'm also probably the ideal customer for them. I am enough of a BBQ super fan to spend even the weekends I don't compete thinking about BBQ (or typing messages like this while I'm at work), I compete enough that the $100 is pennies for what I get out of the content (and really it should be even if you cook a couple times a year), and I'm always looking for new/different ways to do things to improve my scores (which, a lot of the time, could use some improving).

That said, I think I would have found value in this even when I was cooking 3-5 comps a year, and maybe more since so much of what teams were doing was a mystery to me at that time.

I can say the bbq league is worth all the money they charge. The info is great and informative. I was honored to be a team to be part of the live Facebook event last week. It was weird at first showing the world our finishing and boxing of chicken. This is the same box we have won the AR open 2 of the last 3 years with. Even the recipes for dinner ideas or weekend grilling are great on the site. Full disclosure I paid for my access and am renewing this month.

I can say the bbq league is worth all the money they charge. The info is great and informative. I was honored to be a team to be part of the live Facebook event last week. It was weird at first showing the world our finishing and boxing of chicken. This is the same box we have won the AR open 2 of the last 3 years with. Even the recipes for dinner ideas or weekend grilling are great on the site. Full disclosure I paid for my access and am renewing this month.

Thanks for chiming in. I pulled the trigger yesterday and perused a few videos. I'm enjoying it and will definitely check out your videos this weekend.

Every class and video captures a moment in time. Tim and I aren’t ones to sit still!

agreed......and that was my take as I watched you guys in class and compared that to the videos I had seen......and then when we asked you guys about what you had done historically, it became very apparent to me that you guys are always moving forward and experimenting......tweaking constantly. and if I were in your shoes with the success you both have experienced and the skillset you both possess, I would be doing the same thing!

Back