Contest Announcment THE BBQ BAILOUT March 1st 2009 Maynard MA

a weak, ineffectual, timid person.

Hmmmm...I've been called worse!

Now, pardon me, while I go chicken out!

Just a weak attempt at humor Andy, :p

Seemed more like a "Wimpy" attempt!:wink:

At's okay...I can take it.

Maybe I'll make it in time to judge...think they'll take judges with brutally massive hangovers?:icon_clown:oops:

Do you have to shoot your pig for the contest or can you bring your own meat

Probably not going to make we'll give you guys a chance.

We now have 12 Non-Wimpy teams signed up. Still room for a couple of more if your interested (and not Wimpy)

I Smell Smoke !!!
Autobot BBQ
Lakeside Smokers
2BQ'd
Q Haven
Low IQue
S&M BBQ
Cousin Eddie & The Dickies
Smokey O's BBQ
Decepticon BBQ
Rat Ribs
El Diablo Esfinge De La Infierno

do you guys still need judges

Right now I have 2 full tables of judges. Unless we get to 15 teams that's all I'll need. We have 13 teams right now. You can come table captain if you want. If someone doesn't show up you'll be able to judge.

I Smell Smoke !!!
Autobot BBQ
Lakeside Smokers
2BQ'd
Q Haven
Low IQue
S&M BBQ
Cousin Eddie & The Dickies
Smokey O's BBQ
Decepticon BBQ
Rat Ribs
El Diablo Esfinge De La Infierno
To Que A Mockingbird

Whats strange is that FYBo on the same date at the same team was not able to get more than 6 teams. Something we all dont know about?

Not that I know of ? Maybe the entry fee was too high ? I don't know

You know what scratch that I think I do know why and I'll put it out there. Lack of communication from the organizer. No offense to Eric ( I like the guy ) but he got real quiet for a while and I think teams got nervous.

Last edited:
Prior to the decision to cancel the contest,there were 10 teams signed up, then two bailed out. At the time the decision was made, 10 teams was not sufficent to support the contest and remotely break even, eight made it even harder to forecast what the final count would be. To avoid any further BS with the entire Organizer/Competitor Drama brought on by an unamed BOD member, I did not aggressivley post updates on this forum, applications were received by others and I stayed out of it for the most part. As deadlines for different things required for the contest were at hand and once committed to, the costs and losses were coming out of my pocket. the contest had to be cancelled. Last year I took a chance and we finally got enough teams in the last week to make the contest a break even event and return some decent prize money and awards.

Keep in mind that these two contests are entirely different in nature. This contest now named BBQ Bailout comes with a $ 150.00 smaller entry fee per team, way less meat cost, and is a grilling /cooking contest vs a KCBS style contest. It is a one day event with reduced expenses and a limited payout, so any comparison of interest is hard to gauge. why teams would be"nervous" as Steve puts it is beyond me. I do know that ISS was not a team that had signed up.

Not that I know of ? Maybe the entry fee was too high ? I don't know

You know what scratch that I think I do know why and I'll put it out there. Lack of communication from the organizer. No offense to Eric ( I like the guy ) but he got real quiet for a while and I think teams got nervous.

Prior to the decision to cancel the contest,there were 10 teams signed up, then two bailed out. At the time the decision was made, 10 teams was not sufficent to support the contest and remotely break even, eight made it even harder to forecast what the final count would be. To avoid any further BS with the entire Organizer/Competitor Drama brought on by an unamed BOD member, I did not aggressivley post updates on this forum, applications were received by others and I stayed out of it for the most part. As deadlines for different things required for the contest were at hand and once committed to, the costs and losses were coming out of my pocket. the contest had to be cancelled. Last year I took a chance and we finally got enough teams in the last week to make the contest a break even event and return some decent prize money and awards.

Keep in mind that these two contests are entirely different in nature. This contest now named BBQ Bailout comes with a $ 150.00 smaller entry fee per team, way less meat cost, and is a grilling /cooking contest vs a KCBS style contest. It is a one day event with reduced expenses and a limited payout, so any comparison of interest is hard to gauge. why teams would be"nervous" as Steve puts it is beyond me. I do know that ISS was not a team that had signed up.

I thank you Eric for trying to organize FYBO2009...I expected and looked forward to participate..and have been cooking every weekend to prepare for FYBO.. When it was cancelled..I found another venue for which I'm being cast as a wimp(along with others)...at this moment I have 2 sixteen pound packers in a BWS Fat Boy...expecting snow and rain...! (it's a balmy 21 degrees out) I was looking for an overnight KCBS weekend comp...in winter weather ...instead of 5 plus hours of travel in 1 day for a grilling/cooking some bbq event... which sounds like fun but...I really appreciate what you have done for NEBS and the BBQ Brethren... at the same time I sincerely hope that all enjoy the event in Maynard..

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

Last edited:
We were gonna make the haul from Maryland for FYBO when it was Feb 14/15th. When the date changed it knocked us out of being able to attend. (Prior commitments) We were looking forward to seeing how the WSM's would handle the snow, ice or freezing rain.

Hope you all have it next year!

casting aspersions...

...for which I'm being cast as a wimp(along with others)...

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

Don't worry Cliff... there's plenty of us screwing off here in the wimpy boat. You're in good company, and it's all in good fun.:wink:

It's just BBQ... it's not like it's the depression, or recession, or whatever.

Yeah, thanks to Eric for trying to organize FYBO.
It's too bad it didn't work out as planned.

Some background info for anyone who cares... the original idea for a winter event started out two years ago (Winter Sizzler, Jan '07) as a way for any willing Nor'Easters to cook, during our winter down time, a small event for practice and maybe some bling/bragging rights. Everyone just wanted to get out of the house, and most of all, have some fun.
I personally think the jump from that scenario to a full-blown KCBS State Championship was a giant leap.

Hey, there's always next year.

Whats strange is that FYBo on the same date at the same team was not able to get more than 6 teams. Something we all dont know about?

Who knows. I'm sure more teams became interested when the butts/briskets/overnight cook in cold weather aspect was eliminated.

bailout.jpg

Hello Teams Reps and Judges,

There will be a breakfast Potluck at the 10:00 am cooks meeting. If you would like to participate please bring your favorite breakfast/brunch dish to share.

There will be a judges meeting at 1:00 pm

Teams may begin setting up in Maynard at 7:00 AM. Power will be very limited so if you have any special power needs I suggest you bring a Quiet Generator (this is a residential neighborhood) to meet those requirements. We will have access to the club kitchen for water. We will make arrangements for Ash disposal but we ask that you take any grease home with you.

Please purchase your beverages from the Club Bar.

See you all on Sunday we're looking forward to it.

Steve, Mike and Brendan
SMB Productions
http://www.smbproductions.blogspot.com

Is this gonna be a rain, snow, sleet or sunshine event? Cause it's looking like a mix but I don't care I've been waiting to long to cook something.

Back