The Autry!

So what happened with the fatty video? Did you get to say fatty on the air? She sure didn't seem to like the "rub his butt" comment.:shock: Pace on ribs. Fark.:evil:

As a matter of fact, I did! In the next segment, Gayle was going around to the different sites asking what we were cooking. I told her I was Smoking Fatties! She played the shocked role. I told her what it was and that it was heaven in your mouth. One of my teammates had par-baked some bagels at home and then finished them on the grill. They really got a kick out of that. Afterwards we ate fatties on homemade east coast bagels. That was good!

Gayle was really bossy during the shooting but I guess that comes from being your own director and producer. Afterwards, we talked for 20 minutes about BBQ and Texas. Nice lady away from work.

So we finally schleped all of our stuff back to our original area and got everything setup. Then I got started on my really important task. I got in my zero-gravity chair and took a nap!

Once I woke up a lot of the teams had arrived and I proceeded to go around to talk to folks. This is always one of the best parts to me. You get to go and greet folks that you haven't seen in a while and you sit down and catch up.

Friday evening was the Anything Butt Southwestern Dish turn in. Our dish was Tri-Tip with Ancho Chile glaze and Cilantro-Jalapeno sauce. We came in 4th with that.

I had been talking to Jaybird from the Otis and the Bird team and since we were right next to each other, we decided to do a joint dinner. Jay made fried chicken and we made bbq beans cole slaw and corn along with the tri-tip that we didn't turn in. You talk about a great meal!!!

If you are ever anywhere near Arizona, do your best to bribe Jay into frying you some chicken. That was the best fried chicken I have ever had in my life. And I have eaten a lot of fried chicken. It was amazing. Crunchy and seasoned well on the outside. tender and juicy on the inside. I told Jay's wife to watch her back because I was ready to bump her off and marry Jay myself! Of course we ended up sharing with everyone in the area and we got to taste food from other teams too. We had shrimp from Dueling Bubbas, Italian Sausage fatties from Bentley, etc...

You gotta love BBQ folks. Everybody is so generous and friendly.

Gotta get some workk done. I'll post more in a bit...

Way to go Neil. The name fatty is a Brethern creation so when ever you hear it or see it, you know that it has a Brethren connection. Someday it may even make it to mainstream usage.:cool:

Results

Chicken
1. The Pit Stop BBQ
2. Burnt By the Best (Bentley)
3. Addicted to Rub
4. Sug's Shack
5. All Hog's go to Heaven

Ribs
1. QN4U
2. Gourmet Grills One Smoke
3. Dueling Bubbas
4. Midwestern Heritage BBQ
5. Asleep at the Grill

Pork
1. Sug's Shack
2. BBQ by Dan
3. Dueling Bubbas
4. 155 South Bar-B-Q
5. QN4U

Brisket
1. BLQUE Cutting Edge QN
2. Tropical heat
3. Sug's Shack
4. Dueling Bubbas
5. Asleep at the Grill

GC: Sug's Shack
RGC: Dueling Bubbas

Congrats to the winners!

Thanks for the excellent report Mista! Almost makes you feel like we were there with you! nice job!

Was my sisters chicken

Wish I could take credit for second place chicken, but I had nothing to do with it, I saw dogs that walked away from my pork, ribs and brisket! :mad:

At least you weren't DAL in dessert! And with all of those fancy desserts out there, the winner was lemon squares?

Bently if you saw dogs walk away from your ribs, brisket and pork its cuz they were afraid of you.

Neil, Sauly emailed me the Channel 5 news thing last Friday nite. You were handsom if not debonair in your Bretheren lid. If you run into Galye Anderson again, tell her I'd like to fart on her head. I'm glad to know somebody makes a chittier rib than me.

Sounds like ya'll had good time.

That guy was looking for free food. Another reason why it is so hard for the BBQ world to get into the mainstream here on the west coast. Ribs with pace salsa :confused:

The guy in this link didn't think much of the contest http://tinyurl.com/yujnhz

*Language Warning*

This was my response on that site.

I was one of the competitors at the Autry and I'd like to make a few points.

1. I am a weekend caterer and even if I could get some type of provisional health permit, I wouldn't be cause I don't have the resources to feed the masses FOR FREE!

2. If I go to a basketball game, I don't expect to play. If I go to a Nascar race, I don't expect to drive. If I go to a BBQ competition, I don't expect to eat. Hence the word "spectator".

3. I know for a fact that there are no sanctioned BBQ competitions in California where the competitors sell to the public. The closest one is the Reno Rib Burn in Nevada. So I am curious as to what other competition you went to where you observed this "storied tradition of bbq cookoffs".

4. There are several bbq sanctioning bodies and societies around the country like the KCBS, IBCA, CBBQA and the BBQ-Brethren.com where you can learn facts about competitions and BBQ instead of just being angry about what you "think" it should be.

5. One last thing, I thought that some of the spectators where very rude and man actually came into our area and stole some meat despite the sign saying we couldn't give out samples. I'm probably lucky that my teammates wouldn't give me a knife because I probably would have cut him for disrespecting me like that. The competitors cook all night to turn in the best BBQ the possibly can. It is a labor of love and it pisses most competitors off to have people come around just looking for a free meal. The funny thing is, most competitors would probably break the rules and give some one a sample if they came around asking questions and were generally interested in BBQ and the competition. If you could talk to Kobe Bryant during a basketball game, would you ask him for a free jersey?

Good point, I really think he is someone who has no clue of what to expect and thought I am gonna get a free meal. The add for the contest I saw called it a BBQ competition and Festival. I was not looking for free anything, except some free advice, and a chance to get some free tips if we could have made it in time to see the "competition."

I get the feeling from reading the last few posts in response that the Brethren are giving this guy true answers.

That person is low class at the best, bunch of people looking for hand outs. Seem they do this at several food events! Cant please every one!

Here's how I responded to a few posts after mine...

William said: "I don't think it's so much the possibility of getting free food that was upsetting as was the impossibility of buying any of the BBQ being cooked. You can't compare NASCAR or a basketball game to a BBQ cook-off. You know why? Because I bet you that you can't drive a NASCAR car like any of those guys and I bet you can't play basketball like any of those players. On the contrary, I bet most of us can eat BBQ just as well as any judges!
It's food, it's made to be eaten. Why would a "spectator" come to watch a cook-off if they won't have access to any of it?"

You said it yourself. You are spectator. You came to see.
BBQ contests are always looking for cerified judges. If you are serious about being a judge, you can go to kcbs.us or cbbqa.com to find out when the next local judging class is. Then you can show off your judging skills all over California and people can come to see you.
As to BBQ Cookoffs not being like NASCAR or the NBA. You are correct. I can't drive or play ball like the professionals. But then again, they can't cook like me. And this is a COOK-OFF not an EAT-OFF. People don't come to see the referees, they come to see the players so you being able to eat like any of the judges is a moot point.

K said: "I don't think those who arrived at the Autry were expecting "something for nothing". Cook-offs & competitions in Michigan allowed "sampling" with a simple 5 food tickets/$5 exchange. So it CAN be done."

Yes it can be done. But most competitors wouldn't want to do it. It's hard enough to cook all night and turn in product that is at it's peak in a 10-minute window for four different types of meat.
Now imagine doing that while trying to hand out samples to the crowd. Most teams are only one or two people and would not be able to afford it or even if they could they wouldn't have the manpower.
Using the example from before, how could Kobe score 50 point if he had to stop playing every few minutes to sell peanuts to the crowd?

Back