The American Royal HELP!

Nugetsius

Knows what a fatty is.
So, it looks like I'll be going to the American Royal this year!!!

I was wondering if some of you with AR experience could help me out a bit. I am a one man cook team with my wife usually showing up to help with turn ins. Well, the AR will be no different except she will be flying in on Friday and Flying out on Sunday.

I'm wondering how hard will it be for her to get in and out of there. I assume a taxi from the airport will be able to drop her off at the gates or something.

I'm also wondering how hard is it to get your gear in and out of the AR? I don't think I can get there until the Friday and I plan on leaving on the Monday morning. Is this reasonable?

I have to admit, I'm pretty overwhelmed by the idea of it all. I've only been doing comps for about a year and a half and the farthest I've gone to date is about 3 hours. The AR is around 14 hours away!!!

Any advice would be appreciated

So, it looks like I'll be going to the American Royal this year!!!

I was wondering if some of you with AR experience could help me out a bit. I am a one man cook team with my wife usually showing up to help with turn ins. Well, the AR will be no different except she will be flying in on Friday and Flying out on Sunday.

I'm wondering how hard will it be for her to get in and out of there. I assume a taxi from the airport will be able to drop her off at the gates or something.

I'm also wondering how hard is it to get your gear in and out of the AR? I don't think I can get there until the Friday and I plan on leaving on the Monday morning. Is this reasonable?

I have to admit, I'm pretty overwhelmed by the idea of it all. I've only been doing comps for about a year and a half and the farthest I've gone to date is about 3 hours. The AR is around 14 hours away!!!

Any advice would be appreciated

I'm sure she could get a taxi, but it might get a little pricey. MCI isn't next door to Kemper. Make sure she has a wristband to get in.

I'd try to get there as early as possible on Friday. It's going to be tight, and depending on what your neighbors may already have set up it could be a challenge. Leaving Monday won't be a problem, unless you need electricity. That gets shut off Sunday evening I believe.

If you can, get in on Thursday. We usually get in there during the day on Thursday and it's a breeze. Also, if you're into that sort of thing, they have a poker tournament Thursday night that includes dinner and beer. It's a good time, and I'd recommend it.

As far as getting out, I don't know. We usually make sure we have everything ready to go when we go to awards, and take off after that, and it can be congested. I don't know if you can stay overnight on Sunday, but if not, I'd get out to the suburbs and find a hotel. They won't be too pricey.

Thursday is recommended for arrival and you can leave right after awards. Enjoy the experience.

Ease of getting in and out depends a lot on where your site is.

But it is absolutely true that getting there Thursday makes it easier for everyone including your Ambassador who will check you in. You will see on Friday how difficult it is to get around. And will be thankful that you made the effort to get there Thursday.

If you plan a hotel room, book now. NASCAR race is in town same weekend. Rooms will get tight, if haven't already and some hotels have jacked the rates.

And let us Brethren know where you are so we can say hello.

Enjoy the process - it is a real experience.

Your Ambassador will help orient you and answer questions. And remember you are in a parking lot with over 500 other teams. Simple things like electricity, water, ice , and garbage removal are all more a bit difficult - but it all does work.

Parking is always an issue though. If she can rent a car she can park in the Liberty lot, which you will get a parking pass for. And wear very comfortable shoes. Lots of walking at the Royal.

I also believe everyone has to vacate the lot sunday night this year.

Back