THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

on the hook

Knows what a fatty is.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Looked but not really addressed and yes, I know it's wrong time of year, but....Wife actually wants smoked turkey for Mom's Day...My daughter picked one up yesterday morning, froze...I went to get it last evening and found out that my wife told her to just leave it out as it takes a few days to thaw!!!!...WRONG...Now I put it in the frig to 'thaw' correctly but it seemed by feel that the outer 1/2-3/4 inch was already thawed...The frig it's in now is around 34* and will take a few to thaw the rest, but it worries me....Should I trash it or???

Yeah, if it was still essentially cold, you should be ok with a good cook temp. I know the USDA said it can be lower now, but you might want to take this particular one to 165F, which might dry out the white meat a bit if you don't put in a water bowl to get some steam going in your pit.

Thx for the replies...Another question....Daughter bought a 20# bird!!!....I've never done one that big on the smoker/grill...I was looking and they recommend smaller birds due to spoiling while smoking...So...????

I'm with your wife on turkey thawing.

Typically I leave it out overnight and assess it the next morning; at some point it goes into the fridge. The next morning I take it out, open it up, have to remove some ice in the cavity and shortly thereafter it's ready.

If you're concerned about the size, spatchcock it.

I bought a bag of breasts last week and set two out for Chicken Alfredo that night, after they thawed, I picked it up and it was slimy, I mean so slimy it slipped out of my fingers. I know, I know, smelled them and could not detect any off-putting smell, so I wiped them off and chunked, floured and fried in bacon grease until >160.
They tasted fine, no hint of odd taste, so went ahead and finished the prep.
Had have a gut ache for two days, the bag's going back next trip to Super Value.
Ed

It may not be "the right" way to thaw turkeys or other large cuts like this, but this is the way I start thawing most of them. I've never had any problems with it.

Wife has decided to do the turkey Friday and I get to do a 13# brisket early Sat for dinner...Rain all day tomorrow and good chance Sat....Oh well, what would I do witrhout her...

Back