THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TDaddy

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
So, two things I've learned on this site - 1) How to build a UDS and 2) How to cook a brisket. My favorite thing to order at BBQ joints has always been the brisket, but have always felt intimidated when it came to cooking my own since I've heard that it can be such a tough piece of meat. Well, I've never backed down from a challenge so this weekend I decided to take on a brisket on my own on my month old UDS!

Basically, I followed bigabyte's awesome tutorial here:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57882

I found out that my local Wally Mart sells packers at $2.19/lb and picked up this 16 pounder. I figure, go big or go home, right? Well, it ended up being waaaay too much for just me, my wife, and my mom.

1.jpg

To start, I rinsed and dried the huge honkin' piece of meat, then I trimmed off the piece of hard fat, cut down the fat cap to about 1/4" thickness and then rubbed it down with salt, paprika, tastefully simple garlic garlic, chili powder, and cumin.

2.JPG

Since it was 16 pounds, I was expecting it to take WELL over 12 hours or more. So I fired up the UDS at 2A, expecting to finish in the late afternoon in time for dinner. I loaded the firebasket with oak lumps, briquettes, and mesquite lumps.

4.JPG
3.jpg

I kept a close watch on the temps for the first two hours, looking to maintain around 225 F. I lifted the lid at about an hour into it and saw that the fat was starting to liquify, landing on the hot coals and smoking up something thick.

5.JPG

I didn't worry about getting a clean burn, because by 4A I was tired as hell and went to bed. At 8A I woke up and saw that temps had dipped to 160 in the UDS, but at least the fire was still lit.

6.JPG

I lifted the lid and it looked like the brisket was developing a nice bark. But when I inserted the thermo probe into the point and flat, I could tell that the connective tissue between the muscle fibers hadn't yet broken down.

7.jpg

After the 8h mark, I began doing the probe-doneness test at the top of every hour. At around the 11 hour mark the probe slipped right on into various parts of the flat and point with absolutely no resistance.

8.jpg

I yanked the packer from the grill, wrapped it in foil, dropped it in a cooler then went to kohl's to return a crappy digital thermometer.

9.JPG

2 hours later, I removed the brisket from the cooler and began to separate the point from the flat. Holy cow, the point simply slid right off; it didn't even require a knife. I chopped up the point, placed it in an aluminum tray and placed it back on the UDS to make some burnt ends.

12.jpg
13.jpg

Meanwhile, I made some Jim Beam BBQ sauce.

14.jpg

I mixed in some of the BBQ sauce with the burnt ends and wow, were they awesome. The bark was even nice and crispy!

15.jpg

Next, I pulled the flat and chopped that mofo up.

10.jpg
11.jpg

And voila! Burnt ends on the left, flat on the right!

16.jpg

And then here it is. The BEST brisket sandwich I have EVER had.

17.JPG

I was hesitant to invite any of my friends over for fear of screwing it up. But at least I have lunch for the next two weeks! :thumb:

Thanks to all y'all for the info provided on this awesome site. If I were to tell you what the most important lesson I learned was, it would probably be to not rely on the rule that briskets should cook for about an hour/hour and a half per pound. As bigabyte said in his brisket tutorial, it's done when it's done. Therefore, you should use the thermo probe to poke the meat and it should give easily.

love it. :thumb:

invite em over regardless, let em get the good the bad and the ugly.

it's all about the journey.

really nice work, though, i must say. i'll be over for lunch.

thanks folks! now I need to search on here to see what everyone does with their leftovers. I was thinking "brisket chili"

It shouldn't take long to find something to do with all that brisket, bro.

Good on ya for cooking up a beautiful hunk of meat!

Arlin

thanks folks! now I need to search on here to see what everyone does with their leftovers. I was thinking "brisket chili"

That looks great! On the leftovers, chili, burritos, tacos, enchiladas, tamales... bbq beef stew. I've even made brisket omelets.

HOLY FARK! WHICH WALMART???

I'm out in Naperville and I can't find full packers anywhere. A while back I did drive out to Oswego and the Super Wallmart had ONE for $2.99/# and it looked a like it had been sitting there for a while. I passed.

Anyway, that looks like amazing brisket. Congrats. :thumb:

IMHO, you can't beat brisket tacos. Get some real corn tortillas from the store, warm them in a skillet. Put some point on top with a little fresh pico de gallo. Done and amazing.

Brisket looks great! Now that you have done it yourself, restaurant brisket just won't impress anymore.

HOLY FARK! WHICH WALMART???

I'm out in Naperville and I can't find full packers anywhere. A while back I did drive out to Oswego and the Super Wallmart had ONE for $2.99/# and it looked a like it had been sitting there for a while. I passed.

No chit. Both Walmart's in Batavia never have briskets of any sort and the Sam's only has flats.

I've been getting mine at Restaurant Depot most of the time. I'm probably going Wednesday morning to pick up some supplies and I always look at briskets in case they have a heavy case.

Good job on the brisket, TDaddy! Did you try to slice the flat, or did you just go for chunks for sandwiches?

For the leftovers, brisket chili is good. I've also added some fajita seasoning to the leftovers and used it for tacos or enchiladas. I've also heard that brisket hash is good but I haven't tried it yet.

Glad your cook turned out fine--good job!

Leftover brisket goes into anything we use beef for.

Brisket Shepard's Pie ROCKS! :-D

TIM

No chit. Both Walmart's in Batavia never have briskets of any sort and the Sam's only has flats.

I've been getting mine at Restaurant Depot most of the time. I'm probably going Wednesday morning to pick up some supplies and I always look at briskets in case they have a heavy case.

Good job on the brisket, TDaddy! Did you try to slice the flat, or did you just go for chunks for sandwiches?

For the leftovers, brisket chili is good. I've also added some fajita seasoning to the leftovers and used it for tacos or enchiladas. I've also heard that brisket hash is good but I haven't tried it yet.

I live up by the Waukegan Super Wal Mart, they had about 7 packers there all between 12 - 16 lbs. Maybe they only carry this bigass ones at the Super Wal Marts?

I tried slicing the flats with a dull-ass knife, and because I couldn't get them too thin I just decided to chop it all up.

Thanks for the advice on what to do with the leftovers! I think I'll have to try out some brisket tacos for dinner tonight! Fresh pico de gallo? SOLD!

Back